Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    Hawaiian is not Asian as far as I know. I think you'd be insulting a lot of Pacific Islanders if you said they were simply "Asian".
    Well, look. The West tends to group Polynesians with Asians, yes? The Polynesians arrived in Hawaii over 10K years ago, from Southeast Asia. So yes, Hawaii is Asian. Pacific Islands are Southeast Asian.

(Original post by samtheman)

As for Taiwan not being "China", well politically, it considers itself as not being part of Popular China but even on the global scene, that isn't recognised by most countries.
    Yeah, most countries as in Luxembourg or America? I wonder which has more weight? :rolleyes:

As for ethnically, Taiwan is Chinese. You don't separate from a country to unchinafy yourself. Remember it was 400 years after the arrival of Europeans that an ethnicity called "American" appeared in the USA. It was only created for people not to have see how many 1/128 of Polish or Scottish blood they have, if they really couldn't give a ****.
    Actually not necessarily. Many Taiwanese descend from Chinese immigrants, but there are Taiwanese that descend from Malay-Polynesians whom arrived on Formosa thousands of years ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by legbreakgoogly)
    We happily include all people under the banner of Asian. Trust me.
    Asian in the US generally means: South East Asia, China

Asian in the UK generally means: South Asia, i.e. India, Pakistan...

ReputationRep:
    Ok Slypie im going for the grand finisher here: I am Bacteria, there we go - thats what my longest decendant ago was therefore my nationality, race and everything else is dictated by this. Night Night...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    Too complex for me when you can't even master that you have missed out several fractions? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me how this man looks anything but English:
    http://www.reeves-dogstar.com/pics1/g118.jpg

Maybe I have a knack for it then: AKA common sense.

Check out this picture. How can you not tell that he is?

http://www.cnn.com/SHOWBIZ/Movies/99...anu.reeves.jpg

I bet you don't know that Kate Beckinsale is a small fraction Asian! I couldn't tell it with her, but I can tell with half-breeds.

ReputationRep:
    Even in your picture he still looks like a 'normal' white person.

ReputationRep:
    Ok Slypie im going for the grand finisher here: I am Bacteria, there we go - thats what my longest decendant ago was therefore my nationality, race and everything else is dictated by this.
    Well right now you're more similar to a virus. The damn antibiotics just won't get rid of the itching and annoyance!

Thanks for the intelligent comments though.

ReputationRep:
    Holy ****, just realised E is male! :eek:

Edit: Plus he was born on the same day as me! :eek: :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Even in your picture he still looks like a 'normal' white person.
    "Normal"

hahahaha

So now people who are Caucasian and other ethnicities are abnormal? hahahahaha

And no, he doesn't.

Look at his eyes and hair. He just looks Asian. My friend actually thinks he looks more Asian than Caucasian.

ReputationRep:
    I am Bacteria
    It's like he read my thoughts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dekota)
    Holy ****, just realised E is male! :eek:

Edit: Plus he was born on the same day as me! :eek: :eek:
    How creepy!

You both are very young...

Damn kids.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlyPie)
    Well, look. The West tends to group Polynesians with Asians, yes? The Polynesians arrived in Hawaii over 10K years ago, from Southeast Asia. So yes, Hawaii is Asian. Pacific Islands are Southeast Asian.

Yeah, most countries as in Luxembourg or America? I wonder which has more weight? :rolleyes:

Actually not necessarily. Many Taiwanese descend from Chinese immigrants, but there are Taiwanese that descend from Malay-Polynesians whom arrived on Formosa thousands of years ago.
    I know that in the US, Asian and Pacific Islanders are grouped together but not so much in Europe but I guess that there's a lot of similarity between them... I still reckon I can clearly tell the difference between them. Having lived in France, you meet quite a few people from French Polynesia (Tahiti and surrounding islands) or New Caledonia and they're certainly recognised as being totally different from Chinese and Vietnamese immigrants.

And in rugby, Maoris and Pacific Islanders like the Samoans or the Tongans seem like a different people.

Actually as far as I know, only 3 (maybe 4) countries have recognised Taiwan as an independent state. We're all too worried that China will send its armies if we do.

ReputationRep:
    Damn kids.
    Basically you are mentally young for your age.

You've got a lot to learn.

Damn teenagers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dekota)
    Basically you are mentally young for your age.

You've got a lot to learn.

Damn teenagers.

Yes, because I know about Taiwan and China. :rolleyes:

Go to bed. I need to write my essay. It's 3:19 over there. Seriously, do you wake up looking like crap everyday or what? haha

GO TO BED!

ReputationRep:

I bet you don't know that Kate Beckinsale is a small fraction Asian! I couldn't tell it with her, but I can tell with half-breeds.
    Kate Beckinsale? :eek:
    I think you're a bit nutty. She's too hot to have chink blood.

ReputationRep:
    Actually as far as I know, only 3 (maybe 4) countries have recognised Taiwan as an independent state. We're all too worried that China will send its armies if we do.
    Yet Americans will defend it. But this wouldn't really happen ..

ReputationRep:
    I know that in the US, Asian and Pacific Islanders are grouped together but not so much in Europe but I guess that there's a lot of similarity between them... I still reckon I can clearly tell the difference between them. Having lived in France, you meet quite a few people from French Polynesia (Tahiti and surrounding islands) or New Caledonia and they're certainly recognised as being totally different from Chinese and Vietnamese immigrants.
    Well true. But just because there is a visible difference doesn't mean that Polynesians aren't Asian too.

I can tell the difference between the Europeans from the Mediterranean and the Scandinavians. But they are all European.

Thankfully Bush has no qualms about war. :rolleyes:

--------------

Kate Beckinsale? :eek:
    I think you're a bit nutty. She's too hot to have chink blood.
    Oh wow, thanks...
    She's 1/16 Asian.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, because I know about Taiwan and China. :rolleyes:
    My best mate is half Taiwanese, half Chinese, is a Spanish citizen, went to a British high school in Madrid, a French university and then a German one.

Just thought I'd say a random bit of nonsense.

My lab partner was Taiwanese (as in born and bread) and he had the craziest hair cut ever and had a wicked style. Are all Taiwanese people fashion victims?

ReputationRep:
    My best mate is half Taiwanese, half Chinese, is a Spanish citizen, went to a British high school in Madrid, a French university and then a German one.

Just thought I'd say a random bit of nonsense.
    Wow, thanks for sharing.

My lab partner was Taiwanese (as in born and bread) and he had the craziest hair cut ever and had a wicked style. Are all Taiwanese people fashion victims?
    Erm, I don't know. I've only been to Taiwan once, but the fashion is a wee bit different from the West. (Do you mean orange hair, layered?)

The thing is I believe they try to imitate America's fashion but the styles end up totally different.

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow, thanks...
    She's 1/16 Asian.
    No problem.

1/16 Asian? That's weird. So her great great grandfather had a bit of action on the side then? Tut tut.

I think it's the same thing for Colin Powell. He's the descendant of some royal officer in the Carribean who was a bit naughty off duty.

oh and Bob Marley is half white.

ReputationRep:
    No problem.

1/16 Asian? That's weird. So her great great grandfather had a bit of action on the side then? Tut tut.
    "True that."

I think it's the same thing for Colin Powell. He's the descendant of some royal officer in the Carribean who was a bit naughty off duty.

oh and Bob Marley is half white.
    Ok, that was random. haha

Oh, this is quite odd: The blonde guy that played Zach in Saved by the Bell (the cool, popular kid) is HALF Asian. He looks 100% Aryan.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.