The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Are you all just going to ignore me?

--------------

i know quite a lot about the Taiwan/China issue
Reply 141
Elipsis
When i was away with cadets i asked my Korean friend where Richard was (my other friend) and he said 'i don't no all you english people look the same':rolleyes:

Far from it, your friend can't differentiate between a flock of sheep and a band of humans. You are also the same.

As for Richard .... He can go suck his.

--------------

scarlet ibis
i know quite a lot about the Taiwan/China issue

Your input is not required in the expansion of this thread.

Cheers.
Reply 142
What are you on about wierdo?
Reply 143
scarlet ibis
Yes, certainly the taiwanese have their own identity. I speak from experience! you can't call a taiwanese persion chinese - they won't be offended, but they will just think you don't understand.

Well I think my grandfather would be offended. He and his family refer to those who can't speak Taiwanese as "foreigners." There's definitely a divide between the Chinese and the Taiwanese in Taiwan itself. It's just the way things are given the political and social circumstances.
Reply 144
SlyPie
Well I think my grandfather would be offended. He and his family refer to those who can't speak Taiwanese as "foreigners." There's definitely a divide between the Chinese and the Taiwanese in Taiwan itself. It's just the way things are given the political and social circumstances.

So how did your grandmother stand with his patriotism? Seeing as she was Chinese.
Reply 145
Dekota
Far from it, your friend can't differentiate between a flock of sheep and a band of humans. You are also the same.

As for Richard .... He can go suck his.

--------------

Your input is not required in the expansion of this thread.

Cheers.

hahaha

Wow, someone had a rough day at school.
Reply 146
SlyPie
Pardon, but this is what mainlanders get wrong.

People who speak Mandarin can NOT understand Taiwanese.

Taiwan has its own form of government and its own language, and the natives have lived there for ages. They descended from Polynesians that emigrated there thousands of years ago.

Seriously, there is a Taiwanese identity, wholly separate from the Chinese.

The Dutch even had Taiwan for longer than China did...

http://www.asianinfo.org/asianinfo/taiwan/pro-history.htm

go and take a look at the so called taiwanese history... they never belonged to themselves, it's basicallly Japanese, chinese, dutch, chinese, japanese, chinese...

sorry darling, tough luck...

ps i'm not a "mainlander" but i do find it offensive for you to attack my gran
Reply 147
Elipsis
What are you on about wierdo?

i like your colourful sig.

'I feel the need to show off about my grades at every opportunity'

hahaha!
Reply 148
Is this like in south africa where their basic language is English but if you don't speak Afrikans then you are a bit of an outsider?
Reply 149
SlyPie
hahaha

Wow, someone had a rough day at school.

'rough' ... yes. :wink:
Reply 150
zhang
So how did your grandmother stand with his patriotism? Seeing as she was Chinese.

Oh they're very unhappily married now.

But that's also due to other, seemingly extraneous circumstances.

Luckily, she's not that patriotic herself, so I guess it didn't matter as much.
SlyPie

i understand that there is a divide. but i wouldn't say it was incredibly hostile. I mean most taiwanese people i've met just think that taiwan should be allowed to get on with its own business, i've never felt that they have a dislike for the Chinese.

And by Taiwanese, do you mean Minan?
Reply 152
SlyPie
Actually doesn't HK want to return to the UK? :biggrin: So yeah, I think HK might "hate" China too.

sorry, not from what i've heard... they have a perfectly fine system where they don't have to listen to china and yet can enjoy the best of benefits...and most cantonese people say they are chinese... not british and certainly not "Hongkong-nese"

--------------

Elipsis
hahaha nice one traum

lol, i do try... but i look in the mirror and see a woman's face... :biggrin:
Reply 153
Traum
http://www.asianinfo.org/asianinfo/taiwan/pro-history.htm

go and take a look at the so called taiwanese history... they never belonged to themselves, it's basicallly Japanese, chinese, dutch, chinese, japanese, chinese...

sorry darling, tough luck...

ps i'm not a "mainlander" but i do find it offensive for you to attack my gran

What are you talking about? My grandmother is a mainlander too, but yes I would side with Taiwan in case there is a war.

This is also because America would side with Taiwan and I see no need for China to own Taiwan and turn it into a communist state. Honestly, the Dutch owned Taiwan for longer than China did, so I really don't see its claims.
Reply 154
scarlet ibis
i understand that there is a divide. but i wouldn't say it was incredibly hostile. I mean most taiwanese people i've met just think that taiwan should be allowed to get on with its own business, i've never felt that they have a dislike for the Chinese.

And by Taiwanese, do you mean Minan?

Er. I don't know what it's called to be honest, but that sounds familiar. Tee-hee.

No, at my university there is even an "Independent Taiwan" club or something, consisting of Taiwanese people. There is a separate club for Chinese people. It's quite amusing.
Reply 155
Dekota
Yes. :rolleyes:

wow! thanx, uni-sex is sooo in this year :rolleyes:

--------------

Mata
I don't like this look. Its eeeevil. Like black people with blonde hair, it just can never look natural.

People were saying, earlier, about how they find all chinese people/oriental people look 'alike'. I found this, when I was very young, as I lived in a port in Africa, and we got a lot of chinese sailors. At first, because I had never seen this race before, they all looked alike, but as I saw more, I began to differentiate. Its the same with white people, I find - when I first came to England all white people looked the same to me, and it took me a while to make sense of the different facial features.

A lot of ideas of attractiveness seem to come from lack of exposure. Sure, you may have seen some chinese (or any other ethnic minority that isn't highly represented in the UK) people, and some chinese people on the t.v. but you haven't had exposure to that race's ideal of attractiveness, or adjusted to their facial features. I think that I'm lucky to have been exposed to it at a young age, as I can now appreciate attractiveness in many different races.

Here is your sensible answer... bravo!
Reply 156
Traum
sorry, not from what i've heard... they have a perfectly fine system where they don't have to listen to china and yet can enjoy the best of benefits...and most cantonese people say they are chinese... not british and certainly not "Hongkong-nese"

--------------

Yet wasn't its economy better under the UK?
Leah
Just out of curiosity, what do you guys (and I mean 'guys') think of chinese girls?? (anything about them)

I go to an American International School, and although there's a whole lot of people from different backgrounds, all the American and Australian blokes the year above seem to have this attraction towards chinese girls, and most of them dating one. Do you find them attractive? Just curious. My best friend is chinese, but she says its just a coincidence, hm.....

~leah~

I'll tell you what; there's this girl in my German lecture at Uni who has just the slightest Chinese look about her and she is so stunningly good looking.. so yeah, good stuff!
Reply 158
zhang

Ditto!

Man, no offence... but i feel sorry for her...it's like a jew marring a nazi...

no offence
Reply 159
Traum
Ditto!

Man, no offence... but i feel sorry for her...it's like a jew marring a nazi...

no offence

You say something like that and expect someone NOT to take offense. :rolleyes:

See, us arguing accurately represents "Taiwan vs. Mainland."

There shall be no rest and the Taiwanese will never be pacified until China gets off Taiwan's back and lets it govern itself.

Latest

Trending

Trending