The Student Room Group

Open relationships- do they ever really work?!

Scroll to see replies

How many people do you know in one?
Reply 21
Original post by CapauPasCap
Neil_K

i haven't had the time to read through all of your posts, because to be honest, I felt a bit ill reading your flawed logic.

If you haven't read my points, then you cannot comment on them. One can't comment on something they haven't read. Only reply when you have actually read my points thoroughly, or don't comment on them. Simple really.

You refer to our inherent nature, and how it defines us, but that implies that nurture has no bearing on how we grow, who we grow into.

We cannot 'grow out of' or 'evolve out of' our non-monogamous nature. Again, only society has changed and has constructed the idea of monogamy, but our ACTUAL nature as humans (non-monogamous) has not, and will not change no matter how much society tries to 'pressure' us into being monogamous and no matter how society itself changes.

By inferring the Polygamy is the correct way, not Monogamy, also implies that Women should not have careers, and that anyone who does not want children is wrong.

I never said or implied that 'women should not have careers and anyone who does not want children is wrong'.

I didn't 'imply' anything. Don't put words in my mouth mate.

I never said 'anyone who does not want children is wrong'.

How does non-monogamy mean 'women shouldn't have careers' and 'anyone who does not want children is wrong'????

Explain what you mean here, and please stop putting words into my mouth that I didn't even say....

Polygamy was a trait that evolved due to a pressure to have a wide variety of offspring to improve the chances of passing on genes.

Pressure from who/what? This really isn't true.

The actual truth is MONOGAMY is a trait that evolved from pressure on people to conform....pressure from the church, religion, society, etc to be with just one partner, get married etc. I don't see how polygamy was a trait that people were 'pressured' into.

human evolution has slowed to a near stop, as we no longer need to adapt to our environment, we make the environment safe for us. Therefore, the pressure for diverse offspring is not as prominent.

What's that got to do with my points? I never said that if you're non-monogamous, that you have to get tons of women pregnant and have loads of kids. I didn't say or imply this at all. I prefer non-monogamy, but I'm not interested in having kids at all.

You can be non-monogamous without wanting to have kids.

I cannot fathom how you can make the link between a loving relationship with another person, intimacy and all, with friendship. i will use your logic here, having friends is a form of protection it makes us stronger, it is a cohesive unit that has selfish gains. this is not the same as conceiving offspring.

I cannot fathom why people can have multiple friends, yet they are only supposed to have one lover. That seems extremely bizarre to me. I'd love to find the person who 'invented' this 'rule' and give him/her a good talking to....
Original post by Neil_K
If you haven't read my points, then you cannot comment on them. One can't comment on something they haven't read. Only reply when you have actually read my points thoroughly, or don't comment on them. Simple really.

I have commented on the points i have read. simple, really

We cannot 'grow out of' or 'evolve out of' our non-monogamous nature. Again, only society has changed and has constructed the idea of monogamy, but our ACTUAL nature as humans (non-monogamous) has not, and will not change no matter how much society tries to 'pressure' us into being monogamous and no matter how society itself changes.
the nature you are speaking of is an evolutionary trait, which is common thread throughout my post. i can see you're taking my points at an individual level, rather than as a species.

I never said or implied that 'women should not have careers and anyone who does not want children is wrong'.

I didn't 'imply' anything. Don't put words in my mouth mate.

I never said 'anyone who does not want children is wrong'.

How does non-monogamy mean 'women shouldn't have careers' and 'anyone who does not want children is wrong'????

Explain what you mean here, and please stop putting words into my mouth that I didn't even say....

your talk of polygamy harks back to the hunter gather era, where upon the male of the species would 'spread his seed' to ensure survival of his genes. So you're also implying the nature of humans cannot change. this same era hand women who would take little to no part in the provisions, they would rely on the males. and the reason for the polygamy is to 'spread our seed'. so you're saying we've got an innate desire to sleep around / have several partners, but the other aspects of that nature we don't have any more.

from who/what? This really isn't true.

Evolution. the passive pressure. the same reason that finches evovled different shaped beaks. a finch is born with a particular shaped beak, allowing it to forage for beetles etc more effectively. the pressure to perform and be able to obtain sustenance means that this finch will most likely have more offspring. it's basic evolutionary theory, 'mate'.

The actual truth is MONOGAMY is a trait that evolved from pressure on people to conform....pressure from the church, religion, society, etc to be with just one partner, get married etc. I don't see how polygamy was a trait that people were 'pressured' into.

I'm sure you've referenced God and his will in some of your previous posts. so what makes that will different to the pressure of monogamy. Who's to say what's more right? I'm atheist, and i believe in subjective morality.

I cannot fathom why people can have multiple friends, yet they are only supposed to have one lover. That seems extremely bizarre to me. I'd love to find the person who 'invented' this 'rule' and give him/her a good talking to....

i explained this. using your own logic RE the innate nature of humans.
Reply 23
the nature you are speaking of is an evolutionary trait, which is common thread throughout my post. i can see you're taking my points at an individual level, rather than as a species.

I don't understand what you're saying here. You're just rambling, bro.

The fact is, we are BY NATURE non-monogamous. Society has advanced, human beings' fundamental desire for non-monogamous sex remains unchanged.

your talk of polygamy harks back to the hunter gather era, where upon the male of the species would 'spread his seed' to ensure survival of his genes. So you're also implying the nature of humans cannot change. this same era hand women who would take little to no part in the provisions, they would rely on the males. and the reason for the polygamy is to 'spread our seed'. so you're saying we've got an innate desire to sleep around / have several partners, but the other aspects of that nature we don't have any more.

Again....our fundamental non-monogamous nature as humans has not changed in thousands and thousands of years. Society itself has changed, yes, our fundamental nature as humans has not. My talk of non-monogamy relates to the nature of human beings as we are today

Sex is also about enjoyment and not simply procreation.

I'm sure you've referenced God and his will in some of your previous posts. so what makes that will different to the pressure of monogamy. Who's to say what's more right? I'm atheist, and i believe in subjective morality.

I don't personally believe God gets involved in the morality of our lives. It's up to us to use our reasoning and free-will to best choose how to live our lives. My only rule is 'do what you want for your own happiness, as long as you don't hurt anyone else'.

i explained this. using your own logic RE the innate nature of humans.

So you're saying human beings' innate nature is to have only ONE sexual/romantic partner, and as many friends as you wish? I DISAGREE.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Neil_K
I think the title of this thread should be changed to 'Monogamous relationships - do they really work?' or 'Marriage - does it really work?'.

The answer is NO, in both those cases.

As for open relationships, I can say that yes they work far better, since they go with and not against true human nature. See, we humans aren't designed to be monogamous. It's only society that invented to the concept of monogamy to control people....but in our true nature, we are not monogamous beings.

Witness the spectacular failure of monogamy and marriage by looking at life with your eyes wide open....if monogamy and marriage worked, there would be no such thing as break ups, no such thing as cheating, and no such thing as divorce.

So yes....open relationships (i.e. non monogamous relationships) do work. They are the way forward as far as I'm concerned. Society needs to stop buying into this flawed concept of monogamy and instead embrace our REAL nature as human beings.

The idea of being with the same person for life is bull****....not to mention BORING. Who the heck wants to wake up to the same face every morning? I sure as heck don't! Variety is the spice of life, and that includes in dating and relationships!

The best open relationships take the best bits of monogamy (companionship, good sex), without the negative aspects of monogamy (controlling, jealousy, 'ownership' of your partner, arguments, boredom, routine and resentment, loss of freedom).....so when you have an open relationship you can still enjoy your partner just as you would in a monogamous relationship, but also maintain your freedom, dignity and sense of independence that you lose if you enter a monogamous relationship/get married, as well as keep yourself free to date and have sex with anyone else you want without having to feel 'guilty' or worry about 'cheating'.

I can't honestly see why anyone would prefer monogamy over non-monogamy really. If people REALLY stopped to THINK, instead of just going along with society like sheep, they'd see how flawed the concept of monogamy is. They're just 'falsely' locking each other in to something that will one day end anyway, and giving the relationship the 'label' of 'monogamy' so the girl doesn't feel like she's a slut.

The funny thing is, nobody is 'monogamous' with their friends....I mean, you're allowed to have more than one friend without your other friends getting jealous. So equally, you should be able to have as many lovers as you want, without any of your other lovers interfering or getting jealous.

I just can't get my head around monogamy, but each to their own. I'm all for fun, happy enjoyable relationships based on honesty, trust and respect, just as long as they are non-monogamous and not monogamous.

one word: AIDS

and don't say contraception, since it's man-made therefore unnatural :rolleyes:

It's fine if you want to live like this, but you can't say that everyone else should live like this.
Reply 25
Original post by darkxangel
one word: AIDS

and don't say contraception, since it's man-made therefore unnatural :rolleyes:

It's fine if you want to live like this, but you can't say that everyone else should live like this.

Not once did I say that EVERYONE should be non-monogamous. I've always said, make your own choices based on what you feel is best for you. If monogamy is your thing, go for it. If non-monogamy suits you better, go for it. The fact is, most people blindly go with monogamy just because it is the 'societal norm', instead of actually stepping back to THINK about whether monogamy is actually in their best interests.

I do wish people on here would stop putting words in my mouth that I didn't actually say....
Original post by Neil_K
Not once did I say that EVERYONE should be non-monogamous. I've always said, make your own choices based on what you feel is best for you. If monogamy is your thing, go for it. If non-monogamy suits you better, go for it. The fact is, most people blindly go with monogamy just because it is the 'societal norm', instead of actually stepping back to THINK about whether monogamy is actually in their best interests.

I do wish people on here would stop putting words in my mouth that I didn't actually say....

well you said that monogamy is unnatural and that humans are hypnotised by society to be monogamous or something like that.
Original post by Neil_K
I don't understand what you're saying here. You're just rambling, bro.

The fact is, we are BY NATURE non-monogamous. Society has advanced, human beings' fundamental desire for non-monogamous sex remains unchanged.

I'm sorry that you fail to understand evolution, and it's a fairly complex theory, i understand. you could also say that by nature we are designed to eat small, regular meals, but we don't any more. we are by nature designed to be naked, but we don't do that any more.

Where is your proof that it remains unchanged? just because you can't keep it in your pants, and are insatiable? other things have changed about us as a species, so why not this?

You're arguing like a small child. you are giving me no reason not to believe what i am presenting as an argument. you are just trying to state things as Facts that are actually opinions.

Again....our fundamental non-monogamous nature as humans has not changed in thousands and thousands of years. Society itself has changed, yes, our fundamental nature as humans has not. My talk of non-monogamy relates to the nature of human beings as we are today

Sex is also about enjoyment and not simply procreation.
you can't seem to find any counter arguments, i see. You've got that logic backwards. it's the same as food or drink. It is required for the continuation of our species, we have evolved to enjoy it, so that we encourage it. it's a survival trait.

I don't personally believe God gets involved in the morality of our lives. It's up to us to use our reasoning and free-will to best choose how to live our lives. My only rule is 'do what you want for your own happiness, as long as you don't hurt anyone else'.

so what exactly does your god do for you then? and h.ow is putting yourself in a situation which inevitably leads to someone remaining unfulfilled, leads to jealousy, all sortsm not hurting anyone else. what if you meet someone who thinks the world of you, and wants to be with you (i'll avoid the obvious insult here), and you flip the bird and say 'screw it, i want to sleep with who i want, when i want'

So you're saying human beings' innate nature is to have only ONE sexual/romantic partner, and as many friends as you wish? I DISAGREE.

ok, disagree. that doesn't change the fact that as a species we do not need to have several sexual partners any more. and that our need for friends is for platonic support.

I am going to assume you see no fallacy in the logic of my other points, so thank you for accepting them
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 28
I'm sorry that you fail to understand evolution, and it's a fairly complex theory, i understand. you could also say that by nature we are designed to eat small, regular meals, but we don't any more. we are by nature designed to be naked, but we don't do that any more.

This has nothing to do with any of my points. Again bro, non-monogamy is an INTRINSIC human trait, that cannot be changed no matter how much society itself advances. The outside world itself can advance all it likes....but our intrinsic nature as humans does not and will not change.

Where is your proof that it remains unchanged? just because you can't keep it in your pants, and are insatiable? other things have changed about us as a species, so why not this?

My proof? Look at the world around you WITH YOUR EYES WIDE OPEN and you'll see for yourself that the concept of monogamy is flawed....

Most relationships fail....

Most boyfriends and girlfriends eventually break up....

Most marriages end in divorce....

Many, many people cheat on their boyfriends/girlfriends or their husbands/wives....

This is proof alone that monogamy is simply not our fundamental human nature. If monogamy was our true nature, there would be no such thing as breakups, no such thing as divorce and no such thing as cheating.

Even in 2011, with the world so highly technologically advanced as it is, monogamy fails so spectacularly ALL THE TIME.

The very fact that monogamy fails in this manner is proof alone that we are non-monogamous by nature. Anyone who thinks we are monogamous beings when the evidence is all around us to tell us otherwise needs to open their eyes to reality....

You're arguing like a small child. you are giving me no reason not to believe what i am presenting as an argument.

You haven't presented anything convincing, so far. You haven't invalidated anything I've said. You believe we've somehow 'evolved' into monogamous beings. Where is your proof of this? Where is your proof that monogamy is our natural state, when the evidence all around us tells us CLEARLY that monogamy generally doesn't work? How do you explain this then, big boy?

The bottom line is, we have not evolved into monogamous beings; only society has tried to 'enforce' the concept of monogamy.

you are just trying to state things as Facts that are actually opinions.

No, NOT TRUE. I base all my thoughts on what I observe about the world around me. And from what I see, monogamy fails spectacularly, on a daily basis all over the world.

I base my arguments on REALITY, and not some hooky theory I made up. REALITY is the best thing to learn from, because it is truth.

you can't seem to find any counter arguments, i see.

Do go back to sleep....

You've got that logic backwards. it's the same as food or drink. It is required for the continuation of our species, we have evolved to enjoy it, so that we encourage it. it's a survival trait.

No....YOU have got your logic backwards. Again, your argument is that we've evolved into monogamous beings. You've actually got that backwards. Again, the only thing that has changed in thousands of years is society and technological advancements....but our fundamental nature as non-monogamous creatures has not changed one bit.

Again, open your eyes and see the spectacular failure of monogamy all around us. Done that? Still believe we are monogamous by nature?

so what exactly does your god do for you then?

That's personal and irrelevant to this discussion.

and h.ow is putting yourself in a situation which inevitably leads to someone remaining unfulfilled, leads to jealousy, all sortsm not hurting anyone else.

You're presupposing that non-monogamy leads to being unfulfilled, jealous, etc. None of these things are true.

Yet, from what I see, MONOGAMY usually leads to cheating, breaks ups, arguments, boredom, resentment, etc etc. I've never seen any of these things with non-monogamous relationships.

what if you meet someone who thinks the world of you, and wants to be with you (i'll avoid the obvious insult here), and you flip the bird and say 'screw it, i want to sleep with who i want, when i want'

Well for me, I'm 100% honest about what I'm looking for RIGHT FROM THE START when I meet a girl. I make it clear I'm looking for a non-monogamous relationship. She is then free to decide whether that is what she's looking for.

If she doesn't want that, I respect that, and then we go our separate ways, without wasting each others' time.

I'd never go out with someone and pretend I want a monogamous relationship, and then suddenly 'flip the bird' on them like that. That's not my style. I'm 100% upfront and honest with every girl I meet about what my intentions are. Other guys might not be, but I myself am.

So your point here doesn't apply to me....I'd never put myself in a position such as the one you describe in the first place.

ok, disagree. that doesn't change the fact that as a species we do not need to have several sexual partners any more. and that our need for friends is for platonic support.

It's not a case of us 'needing' to have sexual partners. What I'm saying is, our fundamental nature is to be sexually attracted to more than one person. Whether you choose to act on that desire is your choice.

The world is already WAY over-populated, so we don't NEED to create babies with multiple partners. But this doesn't change the fact that our intrinsic nature as humans is non-monogamous.

I am going to assume you see no fallacy in the logic of my other points, so thank you for accepting them

Stupid. Nice try, though.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 29
Open relationships aren't real, it's just called seeing someone and others AKA being single.
Reply 30
Original post by Hooj
Open relationships aren't real, it's just called seeing someone and others AKA being single.

That's bull****. You can really care for, like and respect someone without being in a monogamous relationship. Don't be fooled....the label 'monogamy' is just a fancy label people use so as to fit in. Just because they are in a 'monogamous' relationship doesn't mean their relationship will be any better than a non-monogamous one.

You can have deep and meaningful non-monogamous relationships. You can have bad monogamous relationships. It's not what you LABEL the relationship as, but rather the QUALITY of the relationships itself that matters.
Just see how things go, if you feel like you're really starting to like him. Ask him to make it a bit more intense. See what he says.
Reply 32
Saying Open Relationships work is like saying you can dictate your emotions; you can, to some extent, but there is always a conflict between your genitals, head and heart.
Original post by Neil_K

Ultimately, what I like is PEACEFUL relationships. I don't like stress, drama, negativity, arguments, jealousy and all that....I just want it to be a positive and happy experience for both myself and the girl, and that includes both IN the bedroom as well as OUTSIDE the bedroom.

At first I wasn't sure I agreed with what you were saying... but I think my opinion is similar.

Not that I would never be in a monogamous relationship or that I don't agree they can ever work (but I don't think you're saying that either) ... just that it can sometimes be harmful to view that as the only right and good option.

It's all about being honest with yourself and your partner. I don't know that I'd personally go into the 'nature' of humans since I think to a large extent, as a species we've moved a little bit past that and are subject much more to individual differences. We are (or should be) able to analyse for ourselves what we want and need out of our lives, without having to rely on our 'nature' or our society to tell us what we should want.

As an ideal I somewhat think it would be nice to find a person who I really didn't feel I wanted to 'share' ... who was able to keep me completely and utterly with them with no thoughts of wanting to be with another person. I'm a faithful/honest person and could not, I don't think, ever cheat on a partner - but to me it would be a different thing if everyone involved was aware of the situation and was happy with it.

Part of the issue as I see it is the tendency to try and be honest, but basically fail because you end up saying something the other person wants to hear. I get the impression that a lot of 'open relationships' aren't really 'open'; more like one person wants to have multiple partners and the other doesn't really, but agrees to keep them happy. But it depends entirely on the people involved and if they can really say they are aware of what they want to do.
Reply 34
Original post by thecaterpillar
At first I wasn't sure I agreed with what you were saying... but I think my opinion is similar.

Not that I would never be in a monogamous relationship or that I don't agree they can ever work (but I don't think you're saying that either) ... just that it can sometimes be harmful to view that as the only right and good option.

It's all about being honest with yourself and your partner. I don't know that I'd personally go into the 'nature' of humans since I think to a large extent, as a species we've moved a little bit past that and are subject much more to individual differences. We are (or should be) able to analyse for ourselves what we want and need out of our lives, without having to rely on our 'nature' or our society to tell us what we should want.

As an ideal I somewhat think it would be nice to find a person who I really didn't feel I wanted to 'share' ... who was able to keep me completely and utterly with them with no thoughts of wanting to be with another person. I'm a faithful/honest person and could not, I don't think, ever cheat on a partner - but to me it would be a different thing if everyone involved was aware of the situation and was happy with it.

Thank you! FINALLY a girl who 'gets it'. You understand what I'm talking about. Kudos to you, 'thecaterpillar'....If it wasn't for the fact that I don't meet girls online, I'd say we'd be perfect for each other.

Part of the issue as I see it is the tendency to try and be honest, but basically fail because you end up saying something the other person wants to hear.

Well for me, I never tell a girl 'what she wants to hear'. I say whatever is on my mind, and tell them what I'm looking for, and let them respond however they like.

I think people who try and 'tell someone what they want to hear' are barking up the wrong tree because it's never possible to know what they want to hear unless you're psychic or something.

It's better just to be straight up and honest with people, and that includes in dating and relationships too. That way, there are no misunderstandings, and nobody gets confused about what the other person wants, nobody gets hurt, and nobody gets mislead etc.

I get the impression that a lot of 'open relationships' aren't really 'open'; more like one person wants to have multiple partners and the other doesn't really, but agrees to keep them happy. But it depends entirely on the people involved and if they can really say they are aware of what they want to do.

Well, I believe in full honesty about these things and would only enter into an open relationship with a girl who is fine with it. But it's true, most people aren't honest about it, or one of the two isn't happy about the situation and sort of 'tolerates' the open relationship when secretly they desire a monogamous relationship.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by Neil_K
but rather the QUALITY of the relationships itself that matters.

Lmao, open relationships are a joke. Just call it being single because it's literally the same thing. They can care for a single person all they like but they are still essentially fek buddies in the grand scheme of things.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Hooj
Lmao, open relationships are a joke. Just call it being single because it's literally the same thing.

Well, being single can definitely "work". I'm much less sure about open relationships, at least into the medium term. I've known a couple of people in open marriages and they've always fallen apart.
Reply 37
Original post by cambio wechsel
Well, being single can definitely "work". I'm much less sure about open relationships, at least into the medium term. I've known a couple of people in open marriages and they've always fallen apart.

For lack of a better term they must have gotten tired of "swinging"...
I personally think an open relationship is just some sort of label for something that isn't really there but is used to make both parties feel better. Open means that there's no commitment, relationship means that there is ... oxymoron much?

Anyway, as advice, I'd say that both of you need to be on the same page before this can work. If one wants something, and the other wants something different, it ain't gonna work
Original post by strawberry
I personally think an open relationship is just some sort of label for something that isn't really there but is used to make both parties feel better. Open means that there's no commitment, relationship means that there is ... oxymoron much?

"Open" in this context means only that there is no commitment to sexual exclusivity. The "relationship" might consist in love and mutual support, a shared raising of the children, that joint mortgage, the understanding that either will move if the other is transferred. There are all kinds of 'relationships' in which the two parties involved don't have sex with each other at all, never mind exclusively.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending