Weird housemate Watch

Altocirrus
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Ok, so he’s not a housemate yet

I’ll bullet point this as I’m not feeling very articulate this evening.
  • Me and three friends (all in our third year) have been house-hunting for next year.
  • One of them invites a fifth person (in his first year) into the group.
  • I’ve just met this friend-of-a-friend at a house viewing
  • He seems a bit strange.

When I said hi and introduced myself he didn’t make eye contact or smile. He hardly said a word and any attempt at conversation fell dead, he even put his ipod while I was talking (I’m not that boring). The only time he did talk was after the house viewing (which I arranged, and it was a damn nice place too), when he did nothing but criticise the house and complain about the price.

He claimed that there were far nicer houses available for £40 per week (whaaat!) and that he’d get back to us. Now, I’m all for saving money but when I said that sounded too good to be true he started getting confrontational and accused me of calling him a liar. I’m really keen to sign the contract and get this weight off my mind, and really don’t want to be messed about by this first year guy who I don’t even know. If it were up to me he’d be free to find his £40 house while we took on one of the many people who’d love to move into this place.

Let’s say the guy decides to sign the contract (or another one if we lose this house) what will it be like living with him? The other three are all really nice people, will this be enough to override the fact that he seems a bit of a twunt?

Not sure what to do.
Betacra
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
So one of your friends invites this guy?

I'd say talk to the others about this guy and see what they think, if you can all agree he's not the right person then just tell the person who invited him that it's kind of a three-against-one situation.

Just what I'd do I think.
Veldrin
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Seems to me that his a bit of a douche, I agree with Betacra completely, do what the man says!
Huskaris
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Just let the guy know that you have an initiation ceremony, which you have all had to go through, which is to be the loser in a game of soggy biscuit every day for a week.

Problem solved, you're welcome.
Altocirrus
Rep:
?
(Original post by Betacra)

I'd say talk to the others about this guy and see what they think, if you can all agree he's not the right person then just tell the person who invited him that it's kind of a three-against-one situation.

Yeah, one of my friends invited him to help him out. Unfortuately only me, this guy and my friend who invited him made it to the viewing, so the other two haven't met him yet. I'm fairly sure they'd agree with me, so I guess the thing to do would be to try and get everyone to meet up so a three against one situation can possibly develop.

DhobyGhaut
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Tell him he can only live with you guys if he does something dirty to you. You win either way.
Altocirrus
Rep:
?
Well, the whole situation isn't really panning out how I'd hoped. I do have a couple of other options, but how much of a **** would I be for leaving the group I'm with? They'd either have to find another housemate or start the search for houses again. Obviously it's my decision, but it's always useful to get opinions!
falls_whisper
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Altocirrus)
Well, the whole situation isn't really panning out how I'd hoped. I do have a couple of other options, but how much of a **** would I be for leaving the group I'm with? They'd either have to find another housemate or start the search for houses again. Obviously it's my decision, but it's always useful to get opinions!
What's happened now?
Oranges
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Betacra)

This. He sounds like a real prat
Altocirrus
Rep:
?
(Original post by falls_whisper)
What's happened now?
I guess we're just looking for different things in a house- we've seen a fair few now and can't seem to agree on one. It's dragging on longer than I'd like, and the couple of offers I've had from people looking for one more housemate are becoming increasingly tempting.
KatieCruel
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
£40 in London! Thats impossible! The guy is clearly mental.
rio!
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
He sounds alot like my housemate! When I met her she shook my hand, no eye contact what-so-ever and just a mumble. She came out of her shell eventually, but has so many issues. I'm not suggesting your possible housemate does but I would be wary. Speak to your mutual friend about him, see if he can either get a house viewing asap or make a definate decision over living in the house you picked. If you want to live in the house you're talking about, just sign the contract. You'll most likely regret it because I can't see a house that cheap being that nice!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (314)
37.74%
No - but I will (64)
7.69%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.45%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (392)
47.12%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed