M33 - Motion on Foreign Aid Watch

This discussion is closed.
Metrobeans
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
M33 - Motion on Foreign Aid, thunder_chunkyThis house believes that in these times of financial difficulties and the cuts because of the deficit, it is time we re-assessed the amount that we give out for foreign aid every year.
Smack
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yes. :yy:
cambo211
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
:yy:
paperclip
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yeah, let's just send them PS2s, then they'll be happy little Africuns :awesome:

Seriously though, some people have it worse than us man, chill out.
SciFiRory
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
No, sending aid to help the poor and vulnerable in other countries is a good thing to do and we should not be penalising these people for the greed of our bankers
Teaddict
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
:yy:
StatusRed
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Aye, we need to put ourselves first.
toronto353
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Absolutely agree, but I would just like to say that this is what my first Bill in the House aimed to do.
toronto353
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by SciFiBoy)
No, sending aid to help the poor and vulnerable in other countries is a good thing to do and we should not be penalising these people for the greed of our bankers
Yeah because that works doesn't it? How is India's space programme?
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
While things are hard for us, they are much harder for those who are in need of our aid. While i agree with the idea of re-assessing aid, to ensure it is being spent effectively and in the right areas, it shouldn't be done as a cost saving measure.
username202682
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm fairly sceptical to this idea. The cut back in aid wouldn't necessarily have an 'positive' effect on the economy nor would keeping the levels as it stands sufficiently pull the economy down. I think this is being looked at too simply. Foreign aid amongst many things opens up doors to British companies wanting to expand abroad and improves diplomatic relations between countries.
Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Oliva_Lightbulb)
Read motion
(Original post by Jace Falco)
Read motion
(Original post by Aeolus)
Read motion
bun
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yep
Teaddict
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by toronto353)
Yeah because that works doesn't it? How is India's space programme?
It's not the issue that India has a space programme. What makes it worse is that they have their own international aid budget.
toronto353
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Teaddict)
It's not the issue that India has a space programme. What makes it worse is that they have their own international aid budget.
I quite agree, what my comment intended to illustrate that having their own budget in international aid and having a space programme is ridiculous.
Ham and Cheese
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yes. Why is a motion being proposed? May as well submit a bill?
Rhadamanthus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Not really bothered but I'm more to the aye side. :yy:
Mann18
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think where the money goes needs to be assessed.

The amount of money we give away should only be decreased if there is literally nowhere we could send it that would make a difference.
Student2806
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
After having to lead a 2 hour seminar on development aid just a few days ago, I've come to the conclusion that the whole concept of aid in its current form is fundamentally flawed.
Whether we should increase or decrease our aid budget is neither here nor there. It doesn't work anyway.
username202682
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Student2806)
After having to lead a 2 hour seminar on development aid just a few days ago, I've come to the conclusion that the whole concept of aid in its current form is fundamentally flawed.
Whether we should increase or decrease our aid budget is neither here nor there. It doesn't work anyway.
Hit on the nail. This is exactly where I'm getting at.
Life_peer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Indeed.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (386)
37.22%
No - but I will (80)
7.71%
No - I don't want to (72)
6.94%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (499)
48.12%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed