Girls - What body shape are you? How do you know? Watch

crazyunicorn133
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
What the title says really, I'm sat watching Gok's Fashion Fix, and there is loads of emphasis that in order to dress well, you need to match clothes to your body shape.

When I say body shape I mean like apple, pear, hourglass, boyish etc etc. How do you tell what your body shape is? Does it go on clothes size?

How many of you buy something purely because it's 'aimed' for your body shape, or do you just buy what you think will look good on you regardless?

LazyCookie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I can't even tell what bodyshape I'm meant to be tbh! I can't say I fit neatly into a single category so I just buy what I like
meenu89
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Tend to buy what I like really.
Ruthie!
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I can't tell to be honest.
I have biggish boobs and a small waist and big hips, so a bit hourglass. I'm also a little bit pear, and a litte apple..
And I have characteristics of loads of others too...

I just go by what looks good and flatters my bigger bits.
IHeartAmerica1993
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I know I'm pear because my hips are slightly broader than my boobs. It's pretty simple really...
You're an hourglass if your boobs and hips are in proportion and your waist goes in.
And an apple is if you are round.
Mujeriego
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Isn't it weird that so many girls on here claim they're hourglass when only 8% of the female population is perfectly proportioned? :K:
allstarsandskinnys
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think I'm actually a cross between a few haha

I'm quite an athletic shape but have a bum so perhaps goes against one of the athletic body shape 'rules'

As for clothes, I can struggle a bit because my waist/stomach is a 8/10, shoulders and chest are 10/12 and my hips, well they are whatever they want to be haha! I suppose I do sometimes look at things that are 'aimed' for my body shape but generally I'm quite good at knowing what looks good on me so don't generally stuggle (:
nmiah
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have a generally slim figure with a slim waist but I have hips and a butt that are annoyingly larger (size 8 on top, size 10 on bottom) so when I do go shopping - I generally buy what I like but I'm very particular about the fabric and the cuts which I wear e.g. ones that don't hug my figure or don't go in at the waist and only under the bust so that it doesn't make my hips look grossly out fo proportion and gives them a more curvy and appealing shape instead. Also, flowing fabrics are lovely for me and the drape down and give the illusion that there is so much flatness underneath
rugbyladosc
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
most tall people have wide hips to support their height
Girl Overboard
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You can pretty much tell from your bust, waist and hip measurements what body shape you are. There's loads of information about it online.

I'm technically a pear shape, but I've got DD/E boobs so I tend to follow the advice for hourglass shapes - i.e. low-cut fitted tops, waist belts etc. I think hardly anyone fits perfectly into the one category, so you should just use your own judgement as to which type of clothes suit you.
skunky x
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Pear shaped.

How do I know this? I have a 25 inch waist and yet can't buy size 6 trousers because my thighs are too fat. The skinny jeans I'm wearing now are a ***** to put on. And are ridiculously tight ¬_¬
nmiah
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by skunky x)
Pear shaped.

How do I know this? I have a 25 inch waist and yet can't buy size 6 trousers because my thighs are too fat. The skinny jeans I'm wearing now are a ***** to put on. And are ridiculously tight ¬_¬

I pity you honest

I can fit into size 8 jeans completely comfortably - until I get to my hips and my butt - that's when I have to try on the size 10
lea_uk
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm a pear because my hips are bigger than my top half. I try to dress for my shape, but I do like skinny jeans and they are supposed to be a no-no for me. When I wear them I try to balance the hips by wearing tops with shoulders that slightly go out.
Usually with with trousers size 8s fit on my waist but are too tight on my thighs and a size 10 fits on my thighs but are too loose on the waist. Sometimes size 10s can be too loose all over. I do wish shops sold in between sizes.
CoffeeStinks
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm a mix of hourglass and top heavy.

I have a hour glass shape but my boobs are ridiculously large which sort of skews my proportions.
caiitlinz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think teh definition of hourglass is >8-10 inches difference between your waist and bust/hips, but I could be wrong.
xharrietxx
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm a pear-heavier on the bottom. There's a website that calculates your body shape for you if you type in your bust, waist and hip measurements. This is the link http://www.shopyourshape.com/
xayshx
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i'm hourglass but i've never actually shopped for it, just what suits me really. just have a look at what your body shape is..are you broad shouldered? big hips? big chest? small waist? etc and then you can figure out your body shape
iCattie
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm hourglass thanks to lots of cardio & squats/lunges :dumbells:
Chaofan88
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
a stick. But seriously, my shape as according to the M&S website is a 'chilli'. Pretty accurate, really.
caiitlinz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by joanna-eve)
:eek: how big are people's bust/hips??? If I knocked 10ins off my waist there'd be practically nothing there!

As for the topic though, I have no idea what body shape I am. I just pick out clothes I like and try them on. Some suit, some don't. I buy the ones that do
I'm not hourglass, I'm more pear >__>

However, my (under)bust-waist-hips measurement is 36-29-42. So I do have a 13 inch difference between my waist and hip.... And a fat arse So yeah, it is possible XD
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (524)
37.59%
No - but I will (109)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (96)
6.89%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (665)
47.7%

Watched Threads