Bought a new V8 powered Animal :) Watch

JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I started a thread recently looking for suggestions for a new car.
Perhapse I did (for those who know me), the predictable thing...

Well, another MGB GT Factory V8 has joined the stable. It's Blaze red with a black interior. Quite a rare car actually... only 112 examples made to this spec out of a total production run of 2601

Not great pictures, but it was dark when we got back from picking it up...

Front:

Comedy front valance with silly foglights. This is going to have to change pretty quickly if I decide to keep the car:

Here's the bit that matters. Yeah, the V8 power plant. Note the very er... "bling" Chrome air filters

Not a bad little car actually. Need to sort out some minor electrical gremlins - ie it'd be nice to have functioning rear brake lights but other than that it just needs driving.
Now, where did I put that super charger and bug catcher? :p:D

If anyones remotely interested in what a V8 powered MGB sounds like, click the spoiler in my sig. Theres a video clip of my previous MGB GT V8 running. :cool:
Nuffles
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Looks pretty clean. I like the foglights personally, but I come from a 4x4 background where they make a lot more sense. I'm still trying to source some period spots for the Mog. I'll probably end up with one of these at one point, once I'm out of uni with a bit more money floating around.
NOBODY MOVE!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
sweeeeeet.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
lol, so much for a change! :p:
Fuzzed_Out
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Looks good, hope you keep us updated with pictures and stories of any changes you make.
Né Stig
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
So, what does this mighty V8 pump out then? V8's are synonymous with power, so let's hear it.....
clad in armour
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Né Stig)
So, what does this mighty V8 pump out then? V8's are synonymous with power, so let's hear it.....
not a lot I imagine, ts looks at least 30 years old
gbduo
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
LOL!

Only German V8s, Yank V8s are useless and bearing in mind the Rover V8 is based on one its not going to be high!

In saying that, the Rover V8 is a brilliant engine and highly modifiable. I mean look at what TVR and Range Rover got out of it.

Great engine, just needs fettling...get rid of those carbs and replace with Jenvey's ITBs!

But yeh, I still don't like MGBs, but at least this one is a MGB with a bit of grunt. I have never really liked MGs to be honest.
JC.
Rep:
?
This one is bog stock - even has the original rubber sill covers. Most of these get replaced with carpet.

As for power - bugger all really. It's honestly the slowest V8 powered car I've ever owned.
It's probably kicking out 135-ish bhp. However, a set of 4.6 heads, a mallory dizzy and a 4 barrel carb should get that up to around 210bhp. Which, will do for now...

Don't forget that by modern standards 135bhp isn't a lot. However, the average modern car is getting on for 2 tonnes. This little MG is only around 1 ton including the weight of a tank of fuel and the driver. The average modern car would have to be kicking out about 270bhp to match it for performance.
gbduo
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by JC.)
This one is bog stock - even has the original rubber sill covers. Most of these get replaced with carpet.

As for power - bugger all really. It's honestly the slowest V8 powered car I've ever owned.
It's probably kicking out 135-ish bhp. However, a set of 4.6 heads, a mallory dizzy and a 4 barrel carb should get that up to around 210bhp. Which, will do for now...

Don't forget that by modern standards 135bhp isn't a lot. However, the average modern car is getting on for 2 tonnes. This little MG is only around 1 ton including the weight of a tank of fuel and the driver. The average modern car would have to be kicking out about 270bhp to match it for performance.
Don't forget the torque from the V8 will also put a lot of higher powered engines a run for the money.

Unless the higher powered engine is a diesel! Eurgh.
Nuffles
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by JC.)

Really? The 3.9V8 in Range Rover classics was rated at 180bhp and that was detuned by Solihul. I'd expect an MGB to be kicking out quite a bit more, although saying that the 3.9 was injection and this has carbs so I guess it's the older 3.5? In which case a tired 3.5 could well be down to 130-140bph.
JC.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nuffles)
Really? The 3.9V8 in Range Rover classics was rated at 180bhp and that was detuned by Solihul. I'd expect an MGB to be kicking out quite a bit more, although saying that the 3.9 was injection and this has carbs so I guess it's the older 3.5? In which case a tired 3.5 could well be down to 130-140bph.
They were only around 140bhp from the factory. The MG has it's own version of the RV8 unique to just those 2601 cars built. The CR was something like 8:1 due to the deep crown pistons
The engine in my car certainly isn't tired. - With only 83,000 miles from new it's not exactly had a hard life. It's just a bog stock MG spec 3.5 RV8
asdfg0987
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
wtf
Medicz
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
How much?
Nuffles
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by JC.)
They were only around 140bhp from the factory. The MG has it's own version of the RV8 unique to just those 2601 cars built. The CR was something like 8:1 due to the deep crown pistons
The engine in my car certainly isn't tired. - With only 83,000 miles from new it's not exactly had a hard life. It's just a bog stock MG spec 3.5 RV8
Fair enough. My Range Rover had 170k odd on it with an LPG conversion but it still hauled ass. It was absolutely rock solid all the way through including the crossmembers/rails and the tailgates which is very, VERY rare for a RR classic. Was such a shame that I let it go but I couldn't afford the insurance at 17.
JC.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Medicz)
How much?
Are you making me an offer?
CurlyBen
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by JC.)
I know you've got a downer on modern cars but that's rubbish. Yeah, modern cars are heavier, but a 5 series is still a good 300kg short of the 2000kg mark and the 5 series is a much bigger car. A better comparison would be my brother's Z3, which at 1300kg and just shy of 200hp is very similar in terms of power to weight, with the benefit about 10hp/ton in the Z3's favour (with the 2.8).
(Not that I'm trying to knock the MG, just that statement was simply untrue. I'm not a huge fan of most sports cars of that vintage, but that's definitely one of the nicer ones I've seen)
Dude Where's My Username
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Nice, very nice. But THIS is the ultimate V8 :sogood: And affordable too :yes:
JC.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dude Where's My Username)
Nice, very nice. But THIS is the ultimate V8 :sogood: And affordable too :yes:
I had a budget of 10 grand. I can't see how a 45 grand car is remotely affordable. That and the average ferrari driver tend to be total ****ers - i've met a few!
JC.
Rep:
?
(Original post by CurlyBen)
I know you've got a downer on modern cars but that's rubbish. Yeah, modern cars are heavier, but a 5 series is still a good 300kg short of the 2000kg mark and the 5 series is a much bigger car. A better comparison would be my brother's Z3, which at 1300kg and just shy of 200hp is very similar in terms of power to weight, with the benefit about 10hp/ton in the Z3's favour (with the 2.8).
(Not that I'm trying to knock the MG, just that statement was simply untrue. I'm not a huge fan of most sports cars of that vintage, but that's definitely one of the nicer ones I've seen)
You put a mk1 Golf GTi up against the current model from VW with twice the power and twice the weight and they will run very similar times down the drag strip.

Modern cars are heavey. Fact. Weight blunts performance. Fact.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (553)
37.82%
No - but I will (115)
7.87%
No - I don't want to (103)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (691)
47.26%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed