Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feefifofum)
    I'll stick with my lazy lies-in, thank you very much

I'm coming to watch though.
    wednesday 7th week. 12 midday. be there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Chueco)
    first race of the year: lmh b v queens b. all of ye get your hiney's down there and cheer lmh. and having trained with both the lmh b's and the a's its safe to say our a's can pull 37 strokes a minute and be powerful with it even when out of time. they have never been caught on the river yet. on the other hand our b's are just phenomenal with technique compared to the a's and have enough gumpf to last 800 metres. and our novice w1's are seriously good.

I'm really sorry to say that rating at 37 spm and being powerful when out of time just doesn't happen. I would like to see how deep your stern is in the water.
    Wednesday midday, I'll be at the Catz boathouse watching your start.
    And our W1 will beast the ChCh course.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm is my boat the only one which is constantly being told to slow down the slide?

ReputationRep:
    Every boat in the entire world is told to slow the slide at least once per outing, in my experience

Even our awesome W1 get it occasionally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m277)
    I'm really sorry to say that rating at 37 spm and being powerful when out of time just doesn't happen. I would like to see how deep your stern is in the water.
    Wednesday midday, I'll be at the Catz boathouse watching your start.
    And our W1 will beast the ChCh course.
    we are on about fractions of a second here, or 6 being in time and 2 being slightly icky. not whole phases out. anyway, the A boat all has erg times under 7.30 which is quite impressive for novices i've heard... A boat is about 3 ish kick off.

--------------

(Original post by trina)
    Hmm is my boat the only one which is constantly being told to slow down the slide?
    we get it all the time. is lmh b the only boat who breaks a boat on every outing? we'll be lucky if the Swollocks is ready for chch, and the A's are frigthened of us breakign their boat. which we did again today....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dancingqueen)
    eek! What happened??
    I had a cerebral aneurism...since I wasn't breathing at the correctly and starved oxygen to the body, increased blood pressure, and there you have it...
    It was quite a worry at the time since I had spent most of the summer beforehand climbing in the alps at altitudes of around 4000m...but its all good now.
    Dont let it put you off either - I end up in hospital all the time from rugby, but I still play.

ReputationRep:
    Novices rating 37 is just ridiculous. A fast rate can come about from slamming up the slide too quickly, which is likely to be why your novices rate so highly. An experienced crew will be able to have a really slow slide but still manage a rate of 37 just be driving through the water so powerfully - this sort of skill takes time to achieve. Anyone suggesting that a novice crew should be rating 37 is just silly.

ReputationRep:
    the A boat all has erg times under 7.30 which is quite impressive for novices i've heard.
    just remember that ergs dont float as was so beautifully illustrated by Christ Church last year.

anyway enough of ChCh, who is entering Nephthys regatta?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chemgeek)
    just remember that ergs dont float as was so beautifully illustrated by Christ Church last year.

anyway enough of ChCh, who is entering Nephthys regatta?
    we keep telling the erg boat that when we beat them in "races"

--------------

(Original post by Hoofbeat)
    Novices rating 37 is just ridiculous. A fast rate can come about from slamming up the slide too quickly, which is likely to be why your novices rate so highly. An experienced crew will be able to have a really slow slide but still manage a rate of 37 just be driving through the water so powerfully - this sort of skill takes time to achieve. Anyone suggesting that a novice crew should be rating 37 is just silly.
    well, their balance is awful (and so they lose speed) at around 28/30 but it comes better the higher they rate for some reason. on the other hand my boat rates at 28 with slow slides and full strokes, but we cant get much above 30 like that.

ReputationRep:
    well, their balance is awful (and so they lose speed) at around 28/30 but it comes better the higher they rate for some reason. on the other hand my boat rates at 28 with slow slides and full strokes, but we cant get much above 30 like that.
    One major cause of unbalance is if each crew member is moving up the slide at different rates and slamming into front-stops at different times, so rather than merely speeding up the rate (of course moving faster means that they are more likely to remain in time by all reaching front stops together) their coach should have been working to correct the balancing problem rather than hiding it. If they regularly rate 37, then under race conditions that rate is going to go up several more pips and with poor balance merely being disguised by a high rate, they are likely to catch some all-mighty crabs.

Anyways, am looking forward to ChCh regatta. Can't comment on recent form (although I hear Lincoln's WNA are as strong as my crew last year ) as I haven't actually been down to the river since not being rowing this term. Might pop down at the weekend for a little bit just to check out a few crews and see who I fancy doing well.

ReputationRep:
    One major cause of unbalance is if each crew member is moving up the slide at different rates and slamming into front-stops at different times, so rather than merely speeding up the rate (of course moving faster means that they are more likely to remain in time by all reaching front stops together) their coach should have been working to correct the balancing problem rather than hiding it. If they regularly rate 37, then under race conditions that rate is going to go up several more pips and with poor balance merely being disguised by a high rate, they are likely to catch some all-mighty crabs.

Anyways, am looking forward to ChCh regatta. Can't comment on recent form (although I hear Lincoln's WNA are as strong as my crew last year ) as I haven't actually been down to the river since not being rowing this term. Might pop down at the weekend for a little bit just to check out a few crews and see who I fancy doing well.
    Lincoln WNA looked very nice on the river yesterday!

MERTON WA! FRIDAY 12:30! What else could you possibly be doing than watching me fall out of a boat...

ReputationRep:
    well, an alcohol ban has been now invoked on our boat and we are not allowed to do any strenuous physical exercise until after the regatta. i've been banned from playing football, the gym unless its on the erg and food is now regulated.

ReputationRep:
    :rofl:

*resists the urge let slip any headship crew secrets pertaining to 'alcohol' or 'strenuous physical exercise'.. * :lollypop:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)

*resists the urge let slip any headship crew secrets pertaining to 'alcohol' or 'strenuous physical exercise'.. * :lollypop:
    i find the situation highly amusing anyway. and prolly moreso when we have the pasta cookup and true blue session...

ReputationRep:
    i find the situation highly amusing anyway. and prolly moreso when we have the pasta cookup and true blue session...

Hehe, that's just silly! Methinks they're taking the boatie mentality thing a little too far for a bunch of novices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)

Hehe, that's just silly! Methinks they're taking the boatie mentality thing a little too far for a bunch of novices.
    just humour them and all is well

ReputationRep:
    oooo that's an idea..since I'm providing my copy of true blue (I'm such a boatie) for the Novices to watch on Tues evening, I wonder if I can scab a place at crew table for my efforts...ummmmm :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    oooo that's an idea..since I'm providing my copy of true blue (I'm such a boatie) for the Novices to watch on Tues evening, I wonder if I can scab a place at crew table for my efforts...ummmmm :rolleyes:
    go for it!

ReputationRep:
    I'm suprised I have survived well over a year of heavy boatiedom without seeing that film!

ReputationRep:
    -3 degrees this morning. and fog. we'd stripped to our shorts n tshirts, boated and done some fours action (just building strokes) when they put the river red flag. we had to turn to spin to get back so did a quick all 8 until it was decided we were going too fast for the conditions, so did some crazy bow 4 action. two sculls crashed resulting in broken bladage. is the red flag for everyone or just oxford colleges, because there was a womens crew that just didnt obey it and stayed out. naturally as soon as we got in and put the betty swollocks away they put the river back green flag. so yeh, a 20 minute outing this morning means its going to be erg action tonight....

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.