Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    I'm suprised I have survived well over a year of heavy boatiedom without seeing that film!
    That's because it's about the Other Side, fool We have been made to watch both the Sydney and Athens IV- finals several times though.

(Original post by El Chueco)
    -3 degrees this morning. and fog. we'd stripped to our shorts n tshirts, boated and done some fours action (just building strokes) when they put the river red flag.
    What the hell kind of crazy-ass coaches a)takes novices out in conditions like that and b) lets them go out in -3 weather in shorts and t-shirt? That's just really dangerous especially when you're not going to be going very fast and haven't warmed up properly.

ReputationRep:
    No idea how frigging cold it was yesterday, but fark, i was wearing 3 layers which didn't need to come off even after rowing at firm pressure and soosoososososo cold...my gate had frozen shut. And my mate got splashed and the water turned to ice in her hair!

More annoying was going up to Godstow on Thursday, only to be told it was too foggy to row, so went for a run then cycled back...sigh.

Training left: Godstowing Sunday, Landtraining Monday/Tuesday, Pastacarbing Wednesday, Isising Thursday, Isising Friday...then the race!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Megsy)
    No idea how frigging cold it was yesterday, but fark, i was wearing 3 layers which didn't need to come off even after rowing at firm pressure and soosoososososo cold...my gate had frozen shut. And my mate got splashed and the water turned to ice in her hair!

More annoying was going up to Godstow on Thursday, only to be told it was too foggy to row, so went for a run then cycled back...sigh.

Training left: Godstowing Sunday, Landtraining Monday/Tuesday, Pastacarbing Wednesday, Isising Thursday, Isising Friday...then the race!
    race starts on weds.... and frozen gates is nothing. our seats jammed on weds. lol, the bow man in our the other boat whilst getting in kinda missed and ended up doing the splits across the boat with a foot in the water. it had to be thawed when he got back...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    That's because it's about the Other Side, fool We have been made to watch both the Sydney and Athens IV- finals several times though.
    I'm well aware of the film's content, but that hasn't stopped almost every other boatie I know seeing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    I'm well aware of the film's content, but that hasn't stopped almost every other boatie I know seeing it.
    hmm. sydney and athens? which was bestest?

ReputationRep:
    race starts on weds.... and frozen gates is nothing. our seats jammed on weds. lol, the bow man in our the other boat whilst getting in kinda missed and ended up doing the splits across the boat with a foot in the water. it had to be thawed when he got back...
    darling, races only start on wednesday for losers who aren't amazing enough to be automatically byed to the second round... :p:

ReputationRep:
    is the red flag for everyone or just oxford colleges, because there was a womens crew that just didnt obey it and stayed out. ....
    Yeah, the red flag is just for Oxford colleges. The other clubs (Falcon and CORC) don't have to adhere to our rules but they have their own safety plan.

The worst thing about this morning is that we got the boat on to the landing stage and then we had to put it back again because it was red flagged just at that very moment.

But we eventually got an outing and found that I've trained W1 to be faster than our MCR boat and they've got 8 huge guys in there. Maybe beauty is better than the beast.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m277)
    Yeah, the red flag is just for Oxford colleges. The other clubs (Falcon and CORC) don't have to adhere to our rules but they have their own safety plan.

The worst thing about this morning is that we got the boat on to the landing stage and then we had to put it back again because it was red flagged just at that very moment.

But we eventually got an outing and found that I've trained W1 to be faster than our MCR boat and they've got 8 huge guys in there. Maybe beauty is better than the beast.
    lol, our m1 had just put their boat into the water and got all sat in it when told to get out and put it back.

--------------

(Original post by Megsy)
    darling, races only start on wednesday for losers who aren't amazing enough to be automatically byed to the second round... :p:
    dearest, surelyyou mean people get byed intot eh second round who arent good enough to get in to it on merit?

ReputationRep:
    I feel tension.. Balliol M1 is in good shape and waiting for you :cool:

Is everybody going to the dinner at ChCh on Saturday?

ReputationRep:
    Anybody been racing in the regatta today? (I can't remember the namre of it but it's the pre-Christ Church one that begins with N...) Our poor Bs lost it at the final post But still the Cs and the As to race so there's hope...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Megsy)
    I did the draw for Clare Novices...I shan't tell you what my formula was for deciding which crews got byes and which didn't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    Anybody been racing in the regatta today? (I can't remember the namre of it but it's the pre-Christ Church one that begins with N...) Our poor Bs lost it at the final post But still the Cs and the As to race so there's hope...
    My friend Sam was in the B boat for Jesus, I think, and lost. Oh, wait...

Apparently, our boys teams lost. One team by crashing.
    And the girls won. And pulled in front of the other boat, they were so far ahead...

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes Showsni I remember you, and yeh I'm pretty sure Sam is in the B boat. A boat lost as well, don't know about the Cs

ReputationRep:
    Am leaving to row now!! Very nervous and excited!!

ReputationRep:
    good luck!

ReputationRep:
    3 boats capsized. and some crashage and some good raceage. see yaz all tommorrow!

ReputationRep:
    3 boats capsized. and some crashage and some good raceage. see yaz all tommorrow!
    3 VIII's capsized!? What the hell are you guys up to in oxford? (we've had one capsizing this term, but that was apparently due to some stupid cockup with spinning and the whole of bowside pulling their blades in or something).

ReputationRep:
    they just try to go as hard as they can, start to ignore the cox, someone pulls a massive crab and they all wet themselves...wish i'd been there to see it now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikerx23)
    they just try to go as hard as they can, start to ignore the cox, someone pulls a massive crab and they all wet themselves...wish i'd been there to see it now!
    yeah but catching a crab doesnt make an 8 flip over. It can cause the boat to tip sharply, but I've never heard of a crab flipping one over!

ReputationRep:
    no - but that would be because the team are calm and balance their blades appropriately - when they tip and the opposing side dont lift their blades but hold them loose-handedly they will dip further into the water and, QED they all get wet

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.