Virgin Media are an utter joke Watch

This discussion is closed.
UnknwnEntity
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hey,

Been experiencing major packet loss and speeds you'd expect in 1995 at peak times since December with these. I told them, they said, oh the cable for my area is over subscribed it'll be fixed by the start of Jan. Again, The end of Jan. It's now the middle of Febuary, and it's still consistently ****.

It's utterly useless, you can't do ANY type of multimedia, ANY online gaming. Just epicly slow text browsing. And that's 3 months.

You phone customer service and you get through to grotesquely polite random in India after waiting in excess of an hour ("Thankyou for the information" and they ALL say it :confused:) who evidently knows less about computers and networks than you, probably gets paid about £1 an hour and drives a tire to work.

I rely on the internet, it's not a luxury - I use it for everything nearly - and they think this is perfectly acceptable for this length of time. I am utterly pissed and this is only one of the plethora of problems I've had with them (Been with them since before they were Virgin Media, used to be Telewest)

Stay away from them, they're utter peddlers - the PC World of ISP's.
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
My daddy decided to change to Virgin and now I have no internets :cry:
T-Hill
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
They do have an awesome advert though, give them that at least!

Seriously, yeah I agree. Used to be with them and they were complete rubbish.
tehFrance
Badges: 15
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by UnknwnEntity)
drives a tire to work.
ROTFL that made me chuckle :lol:
k3ro
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yep. Upgrading from 20MB internet to 50MB apparently means removing the fluctuating connections/disconnections and replacing them with the complete inability to access the internet at all. -.- having to browse the internet on my phone for the past week.
Kasc
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I completely disagree.

I've actually found them to be very good; my internet at home used to have the odd problem when they were NTL; since Virgin took over the service has, for me at least, definitely improved.
UnknwnEntity
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kasc)
I completely disagree.

I've actually found them to be very good; my internet at home used to have the odd problem when they were NTL; since Virgin took over the service has, for me at least, definitely improved.
Well you are a very lucky one.

As cited, I've been with Virgin since they bought out Telewest, and Telewest was MUCH better.

They also traffic shape - which in my oppinion is absolute robbery - it ultimetely means they require less investment in infrastructure per server, only to the detriment of every single user, to the benefit of their profit margins. That's all traffic shaping is, penny pinching captitalist venture.
philistine
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hey,

Been experiencing major packet loss and speeds you'd expect in 1995 at peak times since December with these. I told them, they said, oh the cable for my area is over subscribed it'll be fixed by the start of Jan. Again, The end of Jan. It's now the midle of Febuary, and it's still consistently ****.

It's utterly useless, you can't do ANY type of multimedia, ANY online gaming. Just epicly slow text browsing. And that's 3 months.

You phone customer service and you get through to grotesquely polite random in India after waiting in excess of an hour ("Thankyou for the information" and they ALL say it :confused:) who evidently knows less about computers and networks than you, probably gets paid about £1 an hour and drives a tire to work.

I rely on the internet, it's not a luxury - I use it for everything nearly - and they think this is perfectly acceptable for this length of time. I am utterly pissed and this is only one of the plethora of problems I've had with them (Been with them since before they were Virgin Media, used to be Telewest)

Stay away from them, they're utter peddlers - the PC World of ISP's.
I know this wasn't meant to be comic, though I did laugh quite a few times during your post. Especially the tire crack.

I've had Virgin Media service before, and indeed yes, it is ****ing abysmal. I'd simply cease subscription of their service, and seek a better ISP. They'll either get their arses into gear and offer you service you should be receiving (perhaps even better, as has been my personal experience), or they'll simply give you the 'we're sorry to lose your custom' speech.

You've nothing to lose, as like you said, you can barely text browse at tolerable speeds. Plus, I think the term 'peddler' is being quite soft. I'd describe Branson and his con-men as bloody-knuckled chisellers who steal, financial blackmail and misadvertise constantly.
Double Agent
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Kasc)
I completely disagree.

I second this, have a 20meg broadband and tv package, never had any issue with it.
there's too much love
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
At least you don't live in Hull, ****ing KC and their monopoly!

Anyway, which ISP is good?

Oh and virgin believes that net neutrality is bull**** so, make of that what you will .
Zynx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Used to have Virgin Media, I was lured in by their huge broadband speeds.

It didn't me long to realise it's absolute ****, **** quality broadband, **** customer services. As soon as 12 months contract ended I changed asap. They give you such **** excuses, I'm in central London as well where there's been a lot invested in broadband services so there's no excuse for **** service here.

I've been with Sky ever since, it's a good speed (~12MBits)...maybe not mindblowingly fast speed but it's consistent and has been for the past 3 years. I wouldn't know how their customer services are though, because I've never experienced any problems to call them up.
MutantGecko
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
probably gets paid about £1 an hour and drives a tire to work.

This made me ROFL
KCosmo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Same problems here. It's supposed to be 50megs but getting nowhere near. Also when on Xbox live it tells me that my nat type is "moderate" instead of open. Normally I'm fine with fixing these things but this stumped me, and eventually I found that loads of people with virgin had this problem, and this it something on virgins end that didn't allow me to fully open the nat. This has caused loads of problems like lag in matches, not being able to join certain games (seems to not connect to specific people), and randomly chucking me out of matches. If you pay for the fastest speed you can possibly get then these problems shouldn't be an issue!
UnknwnEntity
Rep:
?
(Original post by Double Agent)
I second this, have a 20meg broadband and tv package, never had any issue with it.
Well that's fantastic but right now it's as if my internet has late stage dementia, it's dropping connections left right and centre and any connection it establishes is like on a 28k.

They're very good with the TV Virgin media, which leads me very much to belive they are essentially Popularist in the sense - not for a serious internet user, rather for the more clueless user for whom the internet is secondary to the TV and phone.
Dumachi
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
ADSL > CABLE

You have to understand cable is run in nodes across a network with a certain amount of users and bandwith assigned to each. At peak periods the users bandwith often supasses the max the node can handle so Virgin instead throttle you rather than upgrading there network. Because cable is still far less common than ADSL that means that only virgin and a few others maybe? are putting cash into this network structure where ADSL has alot of ISPs nd thus is upgraded more
UnknwnEntity
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dumachi)
ADSL > CABLE

You have to understand cable is run in nodes across a network with a certain amount of users and bandwith assigned to each. At peak periods the users bandwith often supasses the max the node can handle so Virgin instead throttle you rather than upgrading there network. Because cable is still far less common than ADSL that means that only virgin and a few others maybe? are putting cash into this network structure where ADSL has alot of ISPs nd thus is upgraded more
That's an overcomplication of a very simple matter.

I pay for a specific speed - I am therefore obliged it. What companies like Virgin media do, is instead of investing in the infrastructure proportional to their userbase - they instead stretch thin the capacity of those servers by limiting bandwith in a very misleading and underhand way and "Evenly distribute it". It saves them money, that's ALL that it is.
I'm_Unsafe.
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I concur. We have the same problems. Choosing Virgin Media for our Internet usage was, in hindsight, like taking aspirin for a gunshot wound, or a tin of soup for a 3 week trek in the Andes, or using a spoon to cut a steak. Highly impractical and, in fact, quite useless for its intended purpose.

The fury I have for Richard Branson and those stupid, stupid adverts is quite terrifying. Yes I know it's not Branson's fault really, but I need someone to blame or I'll explode.
Genocidal
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Juno)
My daddy decided to change to Virgin and now I have no internets :cry:
You proved yourself wrong!
Tariq786
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i agree. im paying £50/month for basic landline services - and 10mb internet! TOTAL GARBAGE!
KingstonKatie
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
How do you post with no internet?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (25)
49.02%
No - but I will (1)
1.96%
No - I don't want to (1)
1.96%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (24)
47.06%

Watched Threads