Grant Wahl to challenge Sepp Blatter for FIFA presidency! Watch

David9
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
American journalist Grant Wahl is to challenge Sepp Blatter for FIFA presidency. I hope he wins, as Blatter has had a terrible reign, plus Wahl is in favour of video replay, a huge plus

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ncy/index.html
http://http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/...ll/9402310.stm
marcusmerehay
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
While the video replay is an excellent idea in principle, it is unfortunately almost impossible to implement, and we'd end up with longer breaks in play than we need to.
HilariousNinja
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by marcusmerehay)
While the video replay is an excellent idea in principle, it is unfortunately almost impossible to implement, and we'd end up with longer breaks in play than we need to.
Not exactly, considering the length of time some decisions take with players engulfing referees, then consultation with assistants and the 4th official. In its place would be (I expect) a direct line from the match referee to the video referee. A possible idea is to implement a system similar to tennis in that a certain amount of challenges to calls are allowed in a match.
Overmars
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by marcusmerehay)
While the video replay is an excellent idea in principle, it is unfortunately almost impossible to implement.
Aye.

Having a guy watch it on a screen and report back to the referee...sounds a bit far-fetched, that. Maybe 25 years down the line when it's 2011 we might have a chance.

It would only lead to frustratingly long breaks if teams appeal for every minor, 50/50 decision that goes against them. But if, like Tennis, each team is given a 'challenger' or a cap on the no. of appeals they're allowed to make, they'd only use them when it's a massively significant decision.

It would take about 10 seconds for some fella to rewind it and have another look, check the offside decision or whatever...about the same time that is wasted with referees having to deal with players hounding them after a big decision.
Kevmeister
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't think teams should be allowed to challenge decisions, but if the ref isn't sure then he can ask for a replay - goal line incidents and off-sides [that lead to 'goals']
RNBen
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
An area of concern with the whole replay thing is, for example, if a player is ruled offside but scores, who is to say that the defender didn't make a challenge due to seeing the flag? It would have to result in an indirect freekick, thus breaking up play - something which is considered one of the stronger arguments against the implementation of the video review.
aja89
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Whilst video technology would be a ground breaking addition to football, I fear it would split the game too much. What is so great about football is that the game Barcelona play on a Saturday evening adheres to the same rules and regulations that my brother's U15s team does on a Sunday morning.
little_wizard123
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Stick to goal line technology. Anything else would be a joke.
Overmars
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by RNBen)
An area of concern with the whole replay thing is, for example, if a player is ruled offside but scores, who is to say that the defender didn't make a challenge due to seeing the flag?
Play to the whistle!
Barça
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I understand the reasons why some of you guys are sceptical to video technology, as am I. Hence why I'd only want it to see a disputed goal, like Lampard in the WC, or Albiol's last ditch tackle of the ball against Sevilla.
Ratu93
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I cringe every time he says soccer instead of football.
ish90an
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
He's American, probably would rename it to FISA or something stupid like that
Colbert
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
What about if everyone watching on Sky has their remote in their hands at all times and then whenever the ref makes a wrong decision if enough people press the Red Button he is sent an audio message and sends the decision to a video referee :holmes:
Stirlo
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Just impement it in a similar style to how they use it in rugby. Let the referee decide when it should be used, don't make it open to appeal. Also like they do in rugby, why not just pause the clock while the decision is being made, that way it doesn't waste time and any additional time at the end of match will subject to the usual: time-wasting, injuries, lots of free kicks etc.

I'd like to see somebody like this take over as president of FIFA. Hopefully a 'fans' president won't make stupid ridiculous calls and be subject to off-handed payments *cough* Blatter...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (561)
37.68%
No - but I will (116)
7.79%
No - I don't want to (106)
7.12%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (706)
47.41%

Watched Threads