Best way of learning Foreign Languages from home? Watch

kellymay12
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi

I was just wondering what everyone thinks is the best way to learn a language (preferably quite cheaply) from home?

Basically, I really want to learn Spanish for a few reasons, but mostly because I think its such a beautiful language and I want to work with languages when I'm older. However I am only learning German at the moment so this puts me at a disadvantage ..
Unfortunately I can't take it at school, or visit the country. Also I think tutors are pretty expensive, but nevertheless I think it would be really cool to teach yourself a language and it would give me something to do when I'm bored x)

Does anyone have any tips, or things they have used to help teach themselves languages, or good books/programmes?

Thanks

P.S. If possible, i'd like to be able to speak, read and write relitavely competently by september..
goodeye
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Torrent rosetta stone
Spanishdream
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by goodeye)
Torrent rosetta stone
Don't do this. A God awful program.

What I would suggest is getting as many grammar books, audio books and various other things. www.sharedtalk.com is a great way to meet exchange partners for your language and I've met some great friends that has even turned in to exchange programs abroad.

I highly reccomend Michel Thomas' course. Beginners, advanced, vocab builder and then the vocabulary courses based on his courses released after his death. They have been so useful to me. They're available on the net if you want to torrent though if you prefer the legal way, they're available at places like WHSmiths.
stevop21
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I would also highly recommend Michel Thomas. When you listen to his program there is a strong urge to 'break his rules' which you musn't do. You learn so much in such little time, but you must practise with it to keep it there. I didn't learn Spanish this way but I am doing his German advanced course as I speak and it is great!
kellymay12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I joined sharedtalk.com and its really cool.. now I just need to find someone to practise with. I'll give Michel Thomas a go too!
asparkyn
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Go to Nos Ayudamos and start chatting with Latin Americans. It's free, you learn a lot, make friends and have a good time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (307)
37.44%
No - but I will (63)
7.68%
No - I don't want to (61)
7.44%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (389)
47.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise