Student Loans Application - Help! Watch

rebecca d
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Can anyone help with a problem I'm having with the student loans company?

I am a mature student in my final year of studies. I have previously had loans from the students loan company, I was at uni first time around from about 2000 to 2004 and had four years worth of maintanance loan, (there was no such thing as tuition fee loan then, either you paid it all yourself or student finance covered all or some part of the fees for you.)

Last year I applied for student loan and was told that, as I'd had loans previously I wouldn't be entitled to any support for fees but would be eligible for a maintanance loan. I was told that I would only be able to apply non-means tested because I'd had previous loan.

This year I phoned student loans company to ask if I could apply for means tested loan, they advised me that I could, but as my application was already being processed non-means then they said I should write to them, explaining my situation and sending evidence of my income. I did this, and basically after months of phoning them to check the progress I was eventually told that I can't apply means tested.

I then applied to my university for some extra funding, they have got back to me saying that I should have been means tested for my student loan (they have all my information regarding income and previous study), that the student loans company should have given me more loan this year and last, and that untill ths is rectified they can't help me.

I know that's a lot of information and I hope it makes sense! I'm really confused and the university are on my back about paying my fees so I really need to get this sorted but don't know what to do.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (260)
38.92%
No - but I will (45)
6.74%
No - I don't want to (49)
7.34%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (314)
47.01%

Watched Threads