The Student Room Group

Glandular Fever (pain in abdomen)

I was diagnosed with glandular fever a couple of weeks ago, :frown: and suffered 3 weeks of being in bed since New Years Day - I've got over the worse - with just now suffering fatigue/swollen eyes which I've been told is common.

The thing that is concerning me a bit is that I have a constant pain in my left abdomen (below my ribs and near my hip) sometimes the pain shoots up to my chest and around to the right of my stomach - and often it prevents me from eating because it becomes painful. Most of the time though it's a mild pain and I just feel really full all the time. Sometimes I find the pain gets worse when walking, and I have to press on it a bit with hand to ease the pain. Is this due to a swollen spleen pressing the stomach? Did anyone else experience this/is it expected?

Also (a question for the girls, sorry guys!) I have been having irregular periods every 2 weeks - I imagine this is because my body is being put under stress and my diet has changed - did you have irregular periods too? Is this a usual thing?

Thanks in advance, sorry I know there have been quite a lot of g fever posts.
Reply 1
I had glandular fever for several months last year - it's awful! I have a lot of sympathy for you/

The pain in your side is because your spleen is slightly swelled. Do not drink any alcohol or do any heavy excercise. I can't even remember having any periods, if I'm honest.
I got the swollen face and puffy eyes too, it affects about 20% of glandular fever sufferers.

G Fever can last two years. Rest is vital, hopefully it'll gradually go away in a few months. I'm here to PM if you want to talk any more or need any advice. :smile:
Reply 2
Although I assume you are over 15, making it less likely, mesenteric lymphadenitis is a possibility (inflammation/infection of the lymph nodes in the abdomen causing tenderness and pain, which can often be severe enough to mimic appendicitis). Spenic enlargement is possible as above.

Given the numerous possibilities of abdominal pain, particularly in young women, I would advise you speak to your GP to get a proper examination and advice
I have glandular fever at the moment, and my gp said that if I start getting pains in my abdomen to get it checked out asap, as it can be from an enlarged spleen or liver problems caused by the illness. She said that an enlarged spleen is quite common during glandular fever but it's important to get it checked out anyway as there's of risk of it rupturing.
Reply 4
Thanks very much for your replies - I'll book a docs appointment (they're so busy at the moment it's over a week until an appointment! :frown:) and get it checked out just in case.
Hope you're not feeling too rough Shockolate

Quick Reply

Latest