The Student Room Group

Did you visit a Uni and KNOW immediately it was the place for you?

Hi,
This may sound strange, but i just wondered (people who are currently applying and/or are at uni) did you know as soon as you visited your chosen university that you wanted to go there? Or did you grow to love it, or like it but not that much but still gave it a go?
I'm not sure if i;m supposed to "know" straight away where the place for me is!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No, in the same way I don't believe in love at first sight. Some things take time, especially when it comes to important decisions.
Maybe some know straight away, but I always need to do a fair bit of homework/questioning before I commit to a decision, and I see no wrong in that. Each to their own.
Reply 2
When I visited Leicester I really liked it and it didn't compare to the other unis I had visited, just like I didn't really 'feel' Warwick. I've firmed Leicester now but I guess I don't really know if I'll love it until I'm there September..
when I visited soton, I instantly clicked with the place and would love to go there
Happened with Oxford, unfortunately.
Reply 5
Yes. :smile: And now I'm there!
Reply 6
I wasn't 100% immediately, but I had a very strong gut feeling and I did fall in love on the open day. I just didn't rule out everywhere else for a little while, but I had done before results day.

Don't be disheartened though if you don't feel like that though- it doesn't mean it's not for you. I know plenty of people who went to my uni as an insurance having never visited, or for a single reason like being close to somewhere/someone. And they've all really loved it :smile:

xxx
Reply 7
i picked one at pretty much random. cos i didn't give a **** at the time.

probably the wrong thing to do.

i think if i chose again i would choose a southern university instead of a northern one.
Reply 8
Yep. When I visited Sheffield, I fell in love with it. Haven't really been able to imagine going to another university since I went there. Hopefully be going there next year :smile:
Reply 9
Kinda did with Leicester Uni; just had *that* feeling, as opposed to Leeds and Liverpool which just felt cold and bland.
I thought I did, but now I'm doubting all my choices...
the second I visited warwick I knew I wanted to come here :smile:
Reply 12
Absolutely. When I went to the Exeter open day, it felt like I was already there. Just hope I actually do get my grades now XD .
Yeah, pretty much. I thought it suited me really well and that I'd be really happy here. So far I'm right. Definitely don't think I could have picked any other university that's more suited to my personality.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
Not at all - I don't really understand how you can 'just click' to be honest.

I did think Cambridge was pretty, UCL looked like an exciting place to be, Warwick was a bit isolated and ICL seemed a bit serious, but I don't really think first impressions like that are worth going on.
I didn't visit any universities, even the ones I applied to.
Original post by TurboCretin
Happened with Oxford, unfortunately.

This :yes:

Also with Bristol and after I'd seen the city, Bath. Unfortunately I'm screwing up English so it looks like I'll have to go to one of the two that didn't 'click'. Still undecided about what to do...
Reply 17
When I saw Nottingham Campuses, I think I fallen in love...only this love lasts longer than most of my relationships lol.

edit: seriously why the negs? It's not like I was insulting any uni :/
(edited 13 years ago)
I liked all the universities I visited, but didn't even visit the one I'm at now before firming it.
Happened with Glasgow back in 2010, unfortunatetly :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending