The Student Room Group

Did you visit a Uni and KNOW immediately it was the place for you?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Noodlzzz

Original post by Noodlzzz
And by that you mean, anything that isn't oxbridge? :P

No, London Met.

I haven't properly visited all of the ones I've applied to but I'm getting all excited over the possibility of living in Brighton, as opposed to Reading or Hull which just make me feel meh. Architecturally speaking Sussex isn't the prettiest campus but the sea and the downs make up for it.
Yes, Leeds :love:
Reply 83
I can't go and visit any of the universities I applied to. Hell, when I was applying I didn't even reasearch them - I just chose a few then applied to them regardless. I'm not even sure I want to go to the university I'm firming, if at all!
Original post by im so academic
No, London Met.

You make me laugh! Why would you even visit London Met if you have serious aspirations for Oxbridge?

And why is it always either Oxbridge or London Met with you, other universities exist too! :teehee: You go from one extreme to the other!
Reply 85
Yes, I loved Cambridge immediately when I visited for the first time (although I tried not to so as I wouldn't be disappointed when I got my rejection, which incidentally never arrived... :smile: ). But then again, I loved just about every university I visited, except from Durham, everywhere I turned there seemed to be people smoking and that kinda put me off. It's the little things I guess. Just like I loved St Andrews because everyone genuinely seemed to want to help you and make you feel at home.
i didn't know it was the one but i just really wanted to go there :smile: heriot watt for me
I had a terrible interview at where I'm at now, didn't really like the area, but got in and chose it as my firm because it's meant to be one of the best for my subject. I'm in my first year now and am seriously considering dropping out. The course is so stressful for first year that I haven't been able to go out much, which has lead to me not having any close friends. The teachers have such impossible expectations yet they don't help if you have a problem, and a lot of the people on the course are bitchy and competitive, it's just awful! Please don't do what I did and pick a uni just because it's good!
Original post by pippa90
I had a terrible interview at where I'm at now, didn't really like the area, but got in and chose it as my firm because it's meant to be one of the best for my subject. I'm in my first year now and am seriously considering dropping out. The course is so stressful for first year that I haven't been able to go out much, which has lead to me not having any close friends. The teachers have such impossible expectations yet they don't help if you have a problem, and a lot of the people on the course are bitchy and competitive, it's just awful! Please don't do what I did and pick a uni just because it's good!

It sounds awful! :console: Can I be nosy and ask where you are?
No! I wish this had happened though, as I really can't decide which one to make my firm choice. If any did give me *that feeling* it would be Manchester, which is annoying as it's the one I had originally put down at the last minute with no intention of going there, and I had chosen Bristol thinking it would definitely definitely definitely be my favourite...then I went and wasn't blown away! But I've only been once, so I do need to go again...then I will have to pick out of a hat or something if I still can't decide!
Original post by diamonddust
It sounds awful! :console: Can I be nosy and ask where you are?

Lol I go to Kingston Uni. It's pretty bad for most subjects but for Art and Design it's one of the best. Was talking to a girl on another art and design course here and she says it's pretty similar :/ Depends what you're like though really, most people on my course seem to be having a great time apart from the stress of all the work!
I fell in love with Leeds when I went to visit, and the atmosphere at UEA when I applied last year, but wasn't too convinced by the campus (not so much to do with the concrete but more the fact its quite small). This year I'm still in love with Leeds but also increasingly in love with UEA as well. I definitley didn't get the same feeling when visiting Sussex, Sheffield, Portsmouth and Birmingham. Birmingham had a nice campus but no atmosphere, Sussex accomodation blocks put me off, and Portsmouth and Sheffield were just a load of buildings dotted about.
Reply 92
I visited Edinburgh and fell out of love :awesome:
Although I still like a lot of things about it - and would be very happy to get accepted - visiting it did change my views. Edinburgh had been the place I always thought I'd go: brilliant city, academic but not too pressured environment . . . but the open day was awful. Glasgow on the other hand was extremely impressive, it seems to be underestimated a lot on tsr, and was by me as well, until I visited. So the open days kind of reversed my Glasgow-Edinburgh opinions. Couldn't say what my preference is now. St Andrews was exactly as I had imagined - a lovely, lovely university, but probably not for me. My friend visited it with me and she was just so completely at home there, hopefully she'll get a place as she suits it perfectly.

Cambridge was strange, while I was there it all seemed rather surreal. It was amazing, but I wouldn't say I fell in love with it until returning home and thinking back to my experience. Then I really did fall in love :frown: but ah well!
I found the course and then when I went to the uni I knew it was for me. So like a very good first blind date.
Original post by Eccle1993
I visited Edinburgh and fell out of love :awesome:
Although I still like a lot of things about it - and would be very happy to get accepted - visiting it did change my views. Edinburgh had been the place I always thought I'd go: brilliant city, academic but not too pressured environment . . . but the open day was awful. Glasgow on the other hand was extremely impressive, it seems to be underestimated a lot on tsr, and was by me as well, until I visited. So the open days kind of reversed my Glasgow-Edinburgh opinions. Couldn't say what my preference is now. St Andrews was exactly as I had imagined - a lovely, lovely university, but probably not for me. My friend visited it with me and she was just so completely at home there, hopefully she'll get a place as she suits it perfectly.

Cambridge was strange, while I was there it all seemed rather surreal. It was amazing, but I wouldn't say I fell in love with it until returning home and thinking back to my experience. Then I really did fall in love :frown: but ah well!

I completely agree on the Edinburgh Glasgow thing! I saw them in 2 days (their open days happened to be next to each other) and while Glasgow was wet and windy, it suited me, whereas when I went to Edinburgh it just felt all wrong!

I can't judge on Cambridge, as my home town I wanted to get away from it!
Reply 95
Yes. I loved cambridge at the open day, particularly Emmanuel college. But in the end I didn't end up applying. I applied to UCL instead but I didn't visit it before the interview. When I went there at the interview day, I adored it and didn't feel the same way about either Leicester or Newcastle.
Reply 96
I knew I wanted to go to Imperial on the departmental open day which was the first time I visited. I thought it would be really intimidating but I couldn't have been more wrong. The department is amazing the people are so friendly and welcoming and I was so excited to get an interview. Then I got my offer and I still can't believe I have just need 3 A's now :s-smilie:. I didn't visit UCL though and thought I would love it at interview but was disappointed. Even though it's central London it didn't feel like it was and I feel like I still don't know much about the department. It grew on me slightly throughout the day, but I thought I'd get rejected after my interview but I got an email off the admissions tutor saying they are going to give me an offer, so I'm in two minds now. Just hoping I really love Durham when I visit so it'll be my insurance then :smile:
Original post by pippa90
Lol I go to Kingston Uni. It's pretty bad for most subjects but for Art and Design it's one of the best. Was talking to a girl on another art and design course here and she says it's pretty similar :/ Depends what you're like though really, most people on my course seem to be having a great time apart from the stress of all the work!

Have you been to the Kingston Oceana? I've heard it's a pretty epic night out so maybe it could relieve some of the stress :smile:
Reply 98
Original post by TurboCretin
Happened with Oxford, unfortunately.

This entirely. I fell in love with Cambridge. Sadly it wasn't to be.

Original post by appleface
Yep. When I visited Sheffield, I fell in love with it. Haven't really been able to imagine going to another university since I went there. Hopefully be going there next year :smile:

Sheffield is a magical place. I hated it during the open day and ended up here reluctantly, but I absolutely love it now.
Reply 99
Well, I've an interview soon in York. Just going for closure that it isn't for me, hoping I don't end up back on the fence.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending