Enough time to do full A level Further Math? Watch

sodijgosdjgosdjgoj
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I'm in year 13 and currently taking math, economics and ICT at a2 level and resitting one module of AS physics in the summer.

I'd just like to draw on your personal experience on the relative difficulty and time that is needed to realistically achieve an A/A*.

- Is it possible to do the full a level further mathematics for June alongside my other subjects? How many hours, roughly, did it take?
- I'm a bit confused about fp2/fp3, do i only need to do one? Is one easier than the other or just the same-ish and do you need knowledge of fp2 to do fp3 etc.
-Quickest modules to learn?
-Is it a huge jump from c3/c4?

I want to do economics and realised it is extremely competitive and that a full a level in further would be helpful, I just want to know if it's feasible or just a waste of time due to it being quite late in the year.

Thanks for your help.
Pheylan
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
there's about four months until the exams - sorry, i think it's too late. how about just an AS-level?
TheOriginalAng
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ok, I wouldn't recommend it.
C3 --> C4 isn't hard but you'll just have loads to do.
As well as C4, you'll have FP1 FP2 and 4 applied modules (M, S or D)

Stats is pretty eas if you insist upon doing further. And FP1 is piss easy.
soczek322
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Only FP3 is a huge jump from C3 and C4 because it builds on them whereas FP1 and FP2 introduce new ideas.

If you want to have an easy FM alevel just do:

FP1,FP2, and four of (D1,D2,S1,S2,M1,M2) or perhaps S3 instead of D2 (it's dull) or M2 (if you don't enjoy mechanics)???

FP1,D1,S1,S2,M1 are on par with C1 maybe a bit of C2

D2,S3,M2 are on par with C3 maybe??

FP2 is on par with C3 and C4
mir3a
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by sodijgosdjgosdjgoj)
I'm in year 13 and currently taking math, economics and ICT at a2 level and resitting one module of AS physics in the summer.

I'd just like to draw on your personal experience on the relative difficulty and time that is needed to realistically achieve an A/A*.

- Is it possible to do the full a level further mathematics for June alongside my other subjects? How many hours, roughly, did it take?
- I'm a bit confused about fp2/fp3, do i only need to do one? Is one easier than the other or just the same-ish and do you need knowledge of fp2 to do fp3 etc.
-Quickest modules to learn?
-Is it a huge jump from c3/c4?

I want to do economics and realised it is extremely competitive and that a full a level in further would be helpful, I just want to know if it's feasible or just a waste of time due to it being quite late in the year.

Thanks for your help.
1) It is possible taking full FM A2, but it really depends how fast and quick you understand concepts.
2)You can do FP2 or FP3, or both if you wanted. If you choose to do both, then you'll only take 4 applied modules. If you do just either FP2 or FP3, then you'll have to sit 5 applied modules, in order to complete A2 FM.
3)Depends on how good you are at maths.
4) Yes, its a big step from C3/C4, especially FP2 and FP3, not so much FP1.

Are you reapplying next year for economics?
sodijgosdjgosdjgoj
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by mir3a)
1) It is possible taking full FM A2, but it really depends how fast and quick you understand concepts.
2)You can do FP2 or FP3, or both if you wanted. If you choose to do both, then you'll only take 4 applied modules. If you do just either FP2 or FP3, then you'll have to sit 5 applied modules, in order to complete A2 FM.
3)Depends on how good you are at maths.
4) Yes, its a big step from C3/C4, especially FP2 and FP3, not so much FP1.

Are you reapplying next year for economics?
Yeah, I'm just a bit worried that ICT doesn't really cut it so am looking at further math.

Thanks for all the answers so far!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.74%
No - but I will (102)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (635)
47.74%

Watched Threads