iPhone from the US Watch

sundogs
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hello,

please bear with me, I'm a wee bit slow with these things but I'd appreciate some replies

Got some family jetting off to the states and they want to bring me home an unlocked iphone 3gs so that I can use my regular (i.e. not iphone) T-mobile, contract sim inside.
I get unlimited interent on my phone as well as free texts

I'd really like a new phone and due to a breakage with my old phone, won't be due an upgrade for another year
i've had little luck in finding an answer to these questions:
1) Is it possible to purchase an unlocked iPhone directly from Apple? (i know it will cost, but is it possible?)
2) If I do this, would it in turn be possible to use my sim card and make use of my unlimited internet etc.?

Thanks so much!
rajandkwameali
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm not sure if Apple themselves sell unlocked phones. But an unlocked phone can work on any carrier, once you place a given carrier's SIM in it.
estel
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Apple don't sell the iPhone. You'd have to buy it through either AT&T or Verizon, who are the two carriers currently offering the iPhone in the US. However, the Verizon iPhone uses a CDMA radio, which is useless in Europe. So you have to buy an AT&T iPhone contract-free ($600 or 700, depending on storage capacity) and then use some dodgy means to unlock it either here or there.
member159703
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Seriously theres barely any advantage of getting one from the US. If it breaks you bring it into a store, they plug it in and its oh wait this is a Us one you have unlocked therefore voided the warranty. Plus the dollar isnt exactly good atm so its barely cheaper than the UK if at all.
rajandkwameali
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
There are stores in the US that sell it factory unlocked. There are stores here that sell it unlocked also, a Google check will show providers.

Why, may I ask, are you getting a 3GS? The 5th iPhone may be out this year, and I doubt Apple will support the 3GS much longer.
SoapyDish
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by sundogs)
Hello,

please bear with me, I'm a wee bit slow with these things but I'd appreciate some replies

Got some family jetting off to the states and they want to bring me home an unlocked iphone 3gs so that I can use my regular (i.e. not iphone) T-mobile, contract sim inside.
I get unlimited interent on my phone as well as free texts

I'd really like a new phone and due to a breakage with my old phone, won't be due an upgrade for another year
i've had little luck in finding an answer to these questions:
1) Is it possible to purchase an unlocked iPhone directly from Apple? (i know it will cost, but is it possible?)
2) If I do this, would it in turn be possible to use my sim card and make use of my unlimited internet etc.?

Thanks so much!
You can buy an iPhone from T-mobile on PAYG, and I assume you could put your SIM in it. Probably best to stick to legit ones, that way you're protected if it breaks.
WelshBluebird
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Why don't you just buy one in the UK .
Anyway, you can't get unlocked iPhones in the US. To unlock them you would have the jailbreak, and be careful about updating the firmware etc etc. Much better to get a factory unlocked one from apple UK.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (211)
39.66%
No - but I will (35)
6.58%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.77%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (250)
46.99%

Watched Threads