The Student Room Group

Cigarettes on prescription

I was having a think on the drugs laws a fews days ago and couldn't get over how not just our government but others too have legislated drugs of all types badly for far too long inc tobacco. I myself am a libertarian but if they truly believe limiting or cutting the supply of 'dangerous' drugs is the best option why on earth have they not done the most obvious and rational thing with reference to tobacco which is to put it on prescription.

So if you are already a smoker your supply isn't cut off however a new smoker would not be able to get a prescription.

This method imo would be very effective in stopping new young smokers. It sends a clear natural message.

Yes there will be people who may start smoking by smoking other peoples' cigarettes but I am firm in the belief that the number of new smokers every year will be far less than what it is now.

More people would quit imo too.

What do you guys think?

----------------------------------------

One was created by God, the other by man - who do trust more?
Marijuana Alcohol
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A good idea but the amount of tax the govt reels in from cigarettes it may not happen
Reply 2
erm . . . no
Reply 3
just lol.
Reply 4
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Cameron is in the pocket of Benson and Hedges.it won't happen.
Reply 6
have you seen how many cigs are behind almost every corner shops counter?!
the ques would be massive and the strain on the NHS would be unmanagible
+ where do they make the money back, where do cornershops make up the loss from tobacco?
what about stoners, do they still sell rizla and bagged backy?
How uncool would it feel to have to get your fags from the doctor. :pierre:
Reply 8
Original post by f00ddude
have you seen how many cigs are behind almost every corner shops counter?!
the ques would be massive and the strain on the NHS would be unmanagible
+ where do they make the money back, where do cornershops make up the loss from tobacco?
what about stoners, do they still sell rizla and bagged backy?

lol, u dont blaze by any chance?

Hmmm, yeh I know a large percentage of corner shops generate revenue from tobacco. They could act as a dispensary, show them the prescription ---->tobacco and they get £.

Smokers will still have to pay for tobacco. I'm not sayings tobacco will be free but you will need to go through the hassle of getting a prescription.
Reply 9
Original post by Addzter
How uncool would it feel to have to get your fags from the doctor. :pierre:

That's one of my aims.
Reply 10
such a stupid idea, should we do the same with alcohol? :facepalm:
Reply 11
Original post by justlol
lol, u dont blaze by any chance?

Hmmm, yeh I know a large percentage of corner shops generate revenue from tobacco. They could act as a dispensary, show them the prescription ---->tobacco and they get £.

Smokers will still have to pay for tobacco. I'm not sayings tobacco will be free but you will need to go through the hassle of getting a prescription.

who doesnt blaze :P

but at the cornershops, think about how many dont bother asking for ID, are they really gunna start askign for prescriptions
theres also about 7million smokers in the UK, giving them all a prescription isnt gunna be easy and will take up GPs time, and they're already backlogged enough
Reply 12
Original post by Drumzilla
such a stupid idea, should we do the same with alcohol? :facepalm:

DUMzilla oh sorry drum, tobacco is clearly the cause of a number of diseases, ffs the warnings are on the packets.

When we start seeings bottles with 'Drinking causes liver failure' can we think to put tobacco and alcohol in the same boat.

Bldy eeejit.
Reply 13
who doesnt blaze :P

but at the cornershops, think about how many dont bother asking for ID, are they really gunna start askign for prescriptions
theres also about 7million smokers in the UK, giving them all a prescription isnt gunna be easy and will take up GPs time, and they're already backlogged enough

Think of the resources that will be freed up when there are less smokers getting cancer, emphysema, heart diseases due to smoking.
Reply 14
Original post by justlol
Think of the resources that will be freed up when there are less smokers getting cancer, emphysema, heart diseases due to smoking.

true, but smokers bring in a lot more than they cost the economy
smokers in tax give the government 9.3BILLION!!! and cost the government (NHS and quit smoking ads and services)) 1.7billion
at a time like this, unless they legalize weed they can't afford that loss of income
Reply 15
Original post by justlol
DUMzilla oh sorry drum, tobacco is clearly the cause of a number of diseases, ffs the warnings are on the packets.

When we start seeings bottles with 'Drinking causes liver failure' can we think to put tobacco and alcohol in the same boat.

Bldy eeejit.

so.... loads of stuff is bad for you that doesn't mean i don't want it, and if i want it, i don't want to have to jump through hoops to get it.

should we make McDonalds perscription because i could get fat and have heart problems, or alcohol because i can get liver damage. where do you draw the line?

and there's loads of adverts saying excessive drinking is bad for you, both are equally bad when done to excess
Reply 16
true, but smokers bring in a lot more than they cost the economy
smokers in tax give the government 9.3BILLION!!! and cost the government (NHS and quit smoking ads and services)) 1.7billion
at a time like this, unless they legalize weed they can't afford that loss of income

then they have no choice, it's time to legalize.

kidding aside, smokers and their tax contributions aren't going to disappear overnight. It will be a gradual process.

A healthy citizen will contribute to the economy more than an unhealthy one and for a longer duration.

Personally though dude, I hate talking about economical losses when human well being is involved. It disgusts me.
Reply 17
Original post by Drumzilla
so.... loads of stuff is bad for you that doesn't mean i don't want it, and if i want it, i don't want to have to jump through hoops to get it.

should we make McDonalds perscription because i could get fat and have heart problems, or alcohol because i can get liver damage. where do you draw the line?

and there's loads of adverts saying excessive drinking is bad for you, both are equally bad when done to excess

lol, Jesus you must smoke a lot to be so irrationally against my idea.
Reply 18
Original post by justlol
then they have no choice, it's time to legalize.

kidding aside, smokers and their tax contributions aren't going to disappear overnight. It will be a gradual process.

A healthy citizen will contribute to the economy more than an unhealthy one and for a longer duration.

Personally though dude, I hate talking about economical losses when human well being is involved. It disgusts me.

the tax would drop enoumously, theres a lot of social smokers, people who buy a pack for a night out, or people who smoke maybe 3 a day none of these people will bother with prescription, under 18 wouldnt be able to get one either, a lot of smokers trying to quit wouldnt bother. i wouldnt get one id see how long i can go without, and since im about 30mins out of my way from anywhere i could get one, BOOM suddenly 4billion tax is lost + the start up fees of the system
Economics isnt the only reason though, its also something thats been embedded into society along with alcohol

if tobacco and alcohol were founded today, im guessing tobacco would be banned, and alcohol would be a class A. both are a lot more harmfull than weed or mdma
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by justlol
lol, Jesus you must smoke a lot to be so irrationally against my idea.

i'm not even a smoker, i just believe i have the right to do what i want to my own body, be it bad for me or not

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending