Queen Mary offer - higher than expected! Watch

twinkl3
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I applied to QM since the requirements for the course are 300 points in 3 a levels, which would mean ABC or BBB etc. I have An A already in ICT, a B in Bio and a C in Chem and C in Art but im retaking bio and art. Even though i fit the criteria, i'm resitting the bio and art for other unis that ask for higher. BUT, QM's offer for me is AAB, specifying an A in biology and a B in art! Is the reason for this because i'm resitting and taking a gap year? I'm a bit bummed out cause i was hoping to have an obvious insurance, but even Warwick are asking for less!
Imperial Blitz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'd expect that because your taking longer to do your a-levels it would mean that they expect higher grades

What course are you applying for btw ?
twinkl3
Rep:
?
(Original post by Imperial Blitz)
I'd expect that because your taking longer to do your a-levels it would mean that they expect higher grades

What course are you applying for btw ?
But i essentially hit their requirements in the 2 years of a levels and the course is biology. So bummed out, it was supposed to be my obvious insurance choice!
alfl05
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Well although they may have specified a BBB for the biology course, thing's such as a higher number of students actually applying for the course itself would lead them to increase their requirements.

As well as this the fact that the course you applied for is biology they'd probably expect an A in biology. The B in art is a bit confusing, but maybe that's what they'd expect you to get after your resits.
You could always ring them and discuss it with their application admin.
I did, i've applied to Bangor for marine environmental studies (my insurance), and although they specified around 240-260 points (or something similar) on the course entry requirements they put the offer in at 320- so i called them and discussed it with them and they said that due to a typ-o they meant to put it in at 280 (which i can achieve).

So, you should give them a call and talk to them about it, you may find that once you explain all your qualifications that they change the offer.

Good luck.
twinkl3
Rep:
?
(Original post by alfl05)
Well although they may have specified a BBB for the biology course, thing's such as a higher number of students actually applying for the course itself would lead them to increase their requirements.

As well as this the fact that the course you applied for is biology they'd probably expect an A in biology. The B in art is a bit confusing, but maybe that's what they'd expect you to get after your resits.
You could always ring them and discuss it with their application admin.
I did, i've applied to Bangor for marine environmental studies (my insurance), and although they specified around 240-260 points (or something similar) on the course entry requirements they put the offer in at 320- so i called them and discussed it with them and they said that due to a typ-o they meant to put it in at 280 (which i can achieve).

So, you should give them a call and talk to them about it, you may find that once you explain all your qualifications that they change the offer.

Good luck.
I was thinking of possibly ringing up but i'm just paranoid that they'd retract the offer in case I ruffle anyone's feathers. I wasn't planning to argue or anything, just simply ask why my offer is a lot higher than the standard entry requirement, but i wouldn't really know what to say without sounding like i only applied since the requirements where low! (which isn't the case, its close to home and i like the campus!)
WhatTheFunk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
could be due to resitting and taking a gap year, could be because they had more people apply than they thought so have had to rise the requirements to cut people out, could be down to a number of reasons

they do say
Please note that these entry requirements are guidelines only, and are subject to change.
All applications are considered on a case-by-case basis, please contact the School for more information.
MartinSquirtle
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Normally if they ask for higher requirements you are a borderline applicant. They ask for higher grades because they want you to prove to them you will put in the extra effort to get in.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (380)
37.33%
No - but I will (78)
7.66%
No - I don't want to (71)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (489)
48.04%

Watched Threads