The Student Room Group

16 year old dating a 20 year old?

Hi everyone,

I wondered if you could give me some opinions on this. I'm 16 years old, in Year 12, and I've started dating a 20 year old. I know what some people are probably thinking, and I would've been the same six months or so ago. But I've always found dating boys my own age frustrating, because they all seem to be a bit emotionally undeveloped and none of the boys I know really share my interests. The guy I'm seeing is a law student who's really interested in politics and we go to the university debating society together (albeit having very different views to me)! He hasn't tried to pressure me into doing anything, although obviously I know that will be a factor for him. I don't really mind. He really respects me and I just feel that we're right together.

I told my parents that he's 19 (not sure why, but 19 sounds a lot better!) and they surprisingly didn't seem to mind. I think it's because they know how happy I am with my friends at the university. But my friends have been acting really weirdly about it and I was wondering: what's an acceptable age difference? Does it depend on the individual circumstances of the people involved, or are there definite limits?
There is nothing wrong or shameful in a 16 year old and a 20 year old being in relationship together.
i say it's alright since you're in year 12 and not in school uniform. have a good time
There is nothing wrong with that! Its not like the guy is some sort of perv of anything, he studies law which shows that he is an educated guy. To be honest, I think that boys your age are more likely to be pervy and just use you for sex.
It wouldnt be a problem if like a 40 year old dated a 44 year old, so why would this be a problem? You shouldnt have started a thread like this because you always have people on TSR that just want to make you feel bad.
I certainly wouldn't worry about it. You sound like a very mature and sensible young woman, and I'm sure he's fine. I'm exactly the same, most girls our age seem to date above their age.

I bet your friends are just jealous you've pulled an eligible law student :wink:
Reply 5
xxx
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
there is nothing wrong, perfectly normal, any of your friends who say it is wrong are just jealous, as they couldnt get an older guy.
20 year old must be a slag.

:bootyshake:
Reply 8
nothing wrong with it.
As long as you're not in school still cos that's kinda weird to me :/
Hii
I’m 20. I wouldn’t date a 16 year old. Whilst it’s only a 4 year age gap (which isn’t a problem) it’s the maturity difference. I am wildly different to how I was at 16. I just think 16 and 20 are at different life stages which is why I wouldn’t. It’s not the age gap itself

Latest

Trending

Trending