This discussion is closed.
Barny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Who plays the guitar? What songs can you play? Whats the hardest stuff you can play? How long have you been playing the guitar? What guitar/amp do you have, and what guitar/amp do you want? Are you in a band?

The hardest stuff I can play at the moment is metallica, I can play master of puppets, for whom the bell tolls and fade to black beginning to end. I can also play loads of blink 182 stuff and just random songs by random bands, Ive been playing the guitar since last september(although I played for about 2 years when I was 12 but gave up) and Ive got a squier affinity strat, with a small marshall 15 watt amp. For my birthday Im getting an epiphone les paul custom, black beauty, and a marshall avt150 half stack !
Kurdt Morello
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i can play a lot of Nirvana's songs and a lot of the Chilis and Pumpkins - cant get my head round Morello and his RATM guitar - mindbending stuff -but i dont even have an electric guitar - yet i can distort the strings and bend them by running my gold ring up and down them whilst strumming them
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Acoustic. Don't play it that much. Got the housemistress to sing 'More Than Words' by Extreme with me for house music. Our house won of course.

J.
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hornblower)
Acoustic. Don't play it that much. Got the housemistress to sing 'More Than Words' by Extreme with me for house music. Our house won of course.

J.
electro-accoustic - mainly play nirvana / incubus / oasis / rem / my own stuff.
Blamps
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by imasillynarb)
Who plays the guitar? What songs can you play? Whats the hardest stuff you can play? How long have you been playing the guitar? What guitar/amp do you have, and what guitar/amp do you want? Are you in a band?

The hardest stuff I can play at the moment is metallica, I can play master of puppets, for whom the bell tolls and fade to black beginning to end. I can also play loads of blink 182 stuff and just random songs by random bands, Ive been playing the guitar since last september(although I played for about 2 years when I was 12 but gave up) and Ive got a squier affinity strat, with a small marshall 15 watt amp. For my birthday Im getting an epiphone les paul custom, black beauty, and a marshall avt150 half stack !
Hi, I have an Ibanez strat type guitar...(can't remember the model although I know its made of basewood) with a gibson humbucker pickup and ampwise, I have a peavey 100 watt amp...used to have a marshall head until the valves blew...need replacing...I got loads of pedals, particulary Electro harmonix....I play all sorts of stuff...mainly metal, punk etc. and I try writing my own songs...been playing for 3 years and been in a band
_EMMA_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i can play a couple fo songs at acoustic guitar, but i don't play as much as before so i haven't really learned any new songs or improved the ones i know for that matter
Blamps
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Blamps)
Hi, I have an Ibanez strat type guitar...(can't remember the model although I know its made of basewood) with a gibson humbucker pickup and ampwise, I have a peavey 100 watt amp...used to have a marshall head until the valves blew...need replacing...I got loads of pedals, particulary Electro harmonix....I play all sorts of stuff...mainly metal, punk etc. and I try writing my own songs...been playing for 3 years and been in a band
My dream guitar though is the Les paul...I will get onesome day!
foowise
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeah - I've been playing guitar for about 4 years now. Started off on acoustic for about a year and a half. Then upgraded to an electric - started off with a cheap fender I bought off a mate, then upgraded to a Epiphone Les Paul Special 2, which is still pretty basic, but MUCH better than the fender. Amp is 25W Fender Frontman.

I like playing anything really - metallica (I always start off playing enter sandman when I pick up the guitar), foo fighters, clapton, oasis, hendrix, zeppelin, lenny kravitz - basically if I hear anything that sounds like it'd be good to play, I try to make an effort to learn it (when I have the time). Master of Puppets is a joy to play if you're in a band - it's good for me cos I've got this mate who loves them, plus he bothers to learn ALL the solos, which means we can play practically all the songs we bother to try.

Hardest stuff - hmmmm, well when I get the time I'm gonna sit down and learn some dream theatre stuff. if you haven't - check em out. john petrucci - what a guy. puts solos where you'd think it impossible to put them! I can however, play the sweet child of mine solo - which is quite nice.

Lastly, the guitar I want? Easy, without a doubt, the Gibson Les Paul Custom in black. I played a Gibson Les Paul Standard in this guitar shop once - heaven! Amp? Hmm, a marshall stack would be nice!
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm too lazy to be a guitarist, so I took up bass instead. With regards to what type of instrument, etc. I don't really know, but one of my basses used to belong to John McVie (the greatest bass player to have ever lived). I've been playing for years (along with the Double Bass), and used to be in a band, but they were all **** so I left.
Barny
Rep:
?
(Original post by foowise)
Yeah - I've been playing guitar for about 4 years now. Started off on acoustic for about a year and a half. Then upgraded to an electric - started off with a cheap fender I bought off a mate, then upgraded to a Epiphone Les Paul Special 2, which is still pretty basic, but MUCH better than the fender. Amp is 25W Fender Frontman.

I like playing anything really - metallica (I always start off playing enter sandman when I pick up the guitar), foo fighters, clapton, oasis, hendrix, zeppelin, lenny kravitz - basically if I hear anything that sounds like it'd be good to play, I try to make an effort to learn it (when I have the time). Master of Puppets is a joy to play if you're in a band - it's good for me cos I've got this mate who loves them, plus he bothers to learn ALL the solos, which means we can play practically all the songs we bother to try.

Hardest stuff - hmmmm, well when I get the time I'm gonna sit down and learn some dream theatre stuff. if you haven't - check em out. john petrucci - what a guy. puts solos where you'd think it impossible to put them! I can however, play the sweet child of mine solo - which is quite nice.

Lastly, the guitar I want? Easy, without a doubt, the Gibson Les Paul Custom in black. I played a Gibson Les Paul Standard in this guitar shop once - heaven! Amp? Hmm, a marshall stack would be nice!
Ive been told a Gibson les paul is just a hand made version of an epiphone les paul, obviously that means its better, but apparantly the price isnt really justified as the difference between the epiphone and the gibson is minimal? Ive only played the epiphone so I dont really know..after Ive started listening to Metallica pretty much every solo I hear is boring in comparison, the sweet child of mine solo pretty much sends me to sleep. Also I can play James and Kirks part to enter sandman, but I havent tried to learn the solo yet. Ive just started learning the One beginning solo and sanitarium beginning solo too so ill learn after Ive done these two.
Barny
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mr White)
I'm too lazy to be a guitarist, so I took up bass instead. With regards to what type of instrument, etc. I don't really know, but one of my basses used to belong to John McVie (the greatest bass player to have ever lived). I've been playing for years (along with the Double Bass), and used to be in a band, but they were all **** so I left.
Thats abit rash, bass is the easier instrument to play in a 'normal' band. I go to my mates bands practices, and I can pick up the bass and play pretty much anything their bassist can..
Infinity
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I've been playing since I was 5yrs old. My first guitar was just a generic acoustic, second is a black jackson charvel elec, w/ matching amp. third is a deep forest green swirl patterned Ovation acous/elec, set me back about $600.00 (it was on sale reg $900.00) and a gibson amp. The next guitar I get would have to be a 12 string. I can play just about anything and can play by ear aswell. The hardest would have to be Kansas, dust in the wind and the eagles, Hotel california. Coolest riff, the intro to ac/dc's thunderstruck. I did play in a band for a short time in high school but have since moved on to vocals only.
shadowspirit777
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
ive been playing for...erm a long time (cant be arsed to count)

ive got a yamaha pacifica 102sx which ive had for bout 5 years and ive got a prs santana se in vintage cherry which i love and adore and ive had about 4 months now...

im a pretty average guitarist and dont deserve such a nice guitar but i have a prs obsession.

my bf is a great guitarist, hes got 9 guitars and can play... pretty much anything but dream theater, but then few people can heh heh.

if you like guitar give dream theater a listen, john petrucci is a god, and he has some foxy 7 string stuff goin on, its just great stuff

rock on!
shadowspirit777
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by shadowspirit777)
ive been playing for...erm a long time (cant be arsed to count)

ive got a yamaha pacifica 102sx which ive had for bout 5 years and ive got a prs santana se in vintage cherry which i love and adore and ive had about 4 months now...

im a pretty average guitarist and dont deserve such a nice guitar but i have a prs obsession.

my bf is a great guitarist, hes got 9 guitars and can play... pretty much anything but dream theater, but then few people can heh heh.

if you like guitar give dream theater a listen, john petrucci is a god, and he has some foxy 7 string stuff goin on, its just great stuff

rock on!
ok so i left out my electronics, heh heh ive got a korg toneworks ax100g, *she says reading it off the box*, and a lil 10 watt marshall amp g10 mkII, erm think thats it now......

rock on guys
foowise
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Code:
Ive been told a Gibson les paul is just a hand made version of an epiphone les paul, obviously that means its better, but apparantly the price isnt really justified as the difference between the epiphone and the gibson is minimal? Ive only played the epiphone so I dont really know..after Ive started listening to Metallica pretty much every solo I hear is boring in comparison, the sweet child of mine solo pretty much sends me to sleep. Also I can play James and Kirks part to enter sandman, but I havent tried to learn the solo yet. Ive just started learning the One beginning solo and sanitarium beginning solo too so ill learn after Ive done these two.
I disagree - I hear you about the price difference; usually I'd say f**k off if you charged me upwards of a grand for a guitar, but the les pauls are different. I know it's said you're paying for the name, but the same can be applied to cars - why buy a ferrari or aston martin when you could settle for a ford or nissan. Simple, it's because you know you're buying something special - you're not just buying the car, you're buying the prestige, reputation, quality of the brand.

As an economics student, I'm know all about the importance of the brand in getting consumers, but you know what, when it comes to guitars, I really couldn't care - we can all dream can't we? And after all, I ain't buying one in the near future - hopefully when I've got my degree and all, I'll get a decent job, get a bit of dosh, then I can afford one of these babies.

As for quality difference, I'd say its more than minimal. Don't get me wrong, its not gigantic either, after all, Epiphone are the subsidiary of Gibson - like Squire for Fender. But there is a difference - play one and you'll see. Oh yeah - the diffence will depend on the epiphone you play, I have heard that those elite epiphones are damn near gibson standard.

As for the metallica making every other solo boring - it's cool you dig metallica. But there are a lot of quality guitarists after all, and dare I say it, you may get sick of kirk after a while. I don't see how the sweet child of mine solo sends you to sleep - granted it's a bit long, but I still pay attention when I hear it or see the vid. Same with the one solos too - great to listen to, great to play.

Carry on rocking.
shadowspirit777
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by foowise)

hell yeah!!

some one likes dream theater! i went to see them live last week (17/jan), im still drooling at the thought of petrucci, what a god!!

went with the bf, we spent tho whole time scraping our jaws off the ground (the floor of the apollo doesnt taste too good, oh well, worth it)

keep rockin
serendipity
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

I've been playing the semi acoustic for 4 years
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by shadowspirit777)
hell yeah!!

some one likes dream theater! i went to see them live last week (17/jan), im still drooling at the thought of petrucci, what a god!!

went with the bf, we spent tho whole time scraping our jaws off the ground (the floor of the apollo doesnt taste too good, oh well, worth it)

keep rockin
My friend went to that.
shadowspirit777
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Harry Potter)
My friend went to that.
your friend has fantastic taste
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (151)
60.89%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.44%
No- I want it (69)
27.82%
No- I don't want it (17)
6.85%

Watched Threads