flatmates stealing food! Watch

This discussion is closed.
amy_jane
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hellooo,

I know there are tonnes of posts about what to do with housemates stealing food, but my problem is that it's not meals i've made, it's full cans of baked beans, or tuna, super noodles and chicken kievs...

Its really beginning to annoy me, and I took a picture of my cupboard the other day and since a can of tuna has gone, having seen the can in the bin on top, I took it out and left it on the side with a note saying.... "Whoever used it, REPLACE it!!!". However, no one is yet to own up?

Really don't know what to do, there is no way of setting up a webcam to look as we only have a connection to the internet from our rooms? And I cannot but put laxatives in unopened cans of baked beans, tuna or in supernoodles?

Any advice please?

Thankyou!
Bubbles0ox
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
use laxatives i guess it could be pretty funny. Hope you don't have to share a bathroom though.
snufkin_
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I know its not what you want to hear, but my advise would be to keep everything in your room you can.

When I was in halls i had a box underneath my bed with cutlery/pans and another box with tinned/packet food in it. That way your only keeping a couple of bits of food in the fridge/freezer. If food still goes from there then look into buying a small fridge in your room.

I know ideally its not what you want, but seeing as you've asked people nicely to stop and they haven't it sounds like they don't really care... so aren't going to stop.
amy_jane
Rep:
?
Thing is I can't do that because it's full unopened cans or packets of stuff??
derp
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by amy_jane)
Hellooo,

I know there are tonnes of posts about what to do with housemates stealing food, but my problem is that it's not meals i've made, it's full cans of baked beans, or tuna, super noodles and chicken kievs...

Its really beginning to annoy me, and I took a picture of my cupboard the other day and since a can of tuna has gone, having seen the can in the bin on top, I took it out and left it on the side with a note saying.... "Whoever used it, REPLACE it!!!". However, no one is yet to own up?

Really don't know what to do, there is no way of setting up a webcam to look as we only have a connection to the internet from our rooms? And I cannot but put laxatives in unopened cans of baked beans, tuna or in supernoodles?

Any advice please?

Thankyou!
Gah this is so annoying. You know it's one of the commonest reasons why flatmates move out. You could keep your cans and stuff in your room. Or pour something gross over the cans, like vaseline mixed with shampoo or something and see if that deters them. Also try talking to all your flatmates about this. Chances are the guilty one will make themselves obvious - or all the others will say that they've also had problems with food being taken. Do you not have any videocamera at all? I guess you and the other innocent flatmates could take it in turns hiding in the kitchen and then jump out and confront the nasty thief there and then.

I feel for you totally - this makes my blood boil.
KCosmo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Start stealing their food! Don't buy food for a week and just eat into theirs - ravage the whole fridge, bring your mates round for buffets, all you can eat of their food! REVENGE!!! ermmm so.....they'll see how annoying it gets. When they ask you to stop it you agree - but only if they solemnly swear to never take any of your food again without permission. Give'em hell and do me proud!
Logi
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
This may be a bit excessive but you could use a small sewing needle to make a little hole at the edge of some packaging (not tins obviously) and then gently push the powder from a crushed laxative in there? Give it a shake before you put it back so it mixes and they'll be none the wiser till they eat it
amy_jane
Rep:
?
Thanks, I think I will look into getting a mini fridge, and I my boyfriend is bringing me up a bike lock today so i can lock my 2 cupcaords together, it's just really pathetic I have to do that?
Folderol
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Told my flatmate she could have some pizza; went downstairs she had eaten half of my pizza. Ate all of her hummus. :proud:
newlife
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
drug your milk with laxatives. :ninja:
Jon2k11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You guys are such whiny *****es; if you share the house, its pretty implicit you share the food...
Bubbles0ox
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
hmmmm maybe if you just tell your flat mates that you have put laxatives in the food, then that should stop them.
Don't actually do it though
neiljeff123
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Arghh Im guilty of this if im being completely honest. Its when i come in frm a night out and sausage rolls/cheese/super noodles seem so tempting!
amy_jane
Rep:
?
Hardly whiny? I'm in student halls, so yeah we share a flat, but I don't go and buy food for everyone to eat because that would just be a waste of money if I'm not even eating the majority of it?! Surely different people have different relationships with their flat/housemates, so to just assume everyone would share food is a bit ridiculous don't you think? Having been living with my flatmates for 6 months, we have never even agreed to share food... So please, if you don't have something constructive to say, please don't post at all...
Persephone9
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Jon2k11)
You guys are such whiny *****es; if you share the house, its pretty implicit you share the food...
Not if you don't all pay for it it isn't. Especially not when you're in halls with people you haven't chosen to live with and don't necessarily like that much.
Jon2k11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Persephone9)
Not if you don't all pay for it it isn't. Especially not when you're in halls with people you haven't chosen to live with and don't necessarily like that much.
1. don't be selfish and chip in for food as a communal thing, as opposed to hoarding food for yourself
2. grow a backbone and deal with it
fire2burn
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I just kept things like tins and crisps in my room in a box under my bed. In my first year if something was left in the kitchen even if it was in your own cupboard certain members of the block thought they had rights to eat/use it, eventually the vast majority of us kept our stuff in our rooms to stop the troglodytes from stealing it.
Sprockette
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
How about a locked box for your cupboard if you don't like the 'food in room' idea? That would drive me into such a rage if people ate my food!!!
TheSilentG
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Poison the food like Agent 47 from the Hitman series does, that'll teach them.
ShinyT
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Poison the food, or just start taking other peoples food, or just don't put your food where others can get it, hide it, or just put out of date food there and see what they do............. but they seem like savages and will probably eat the out of date food as well.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (278)
38.03%
No - but I will (53)
7.25%
No - I don't want to (53)
7.25%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (347)
47.47%

Watched Threads