Waiting for offer letters Watch

student_2
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi,
I was wondering how long people have had to wait to get offers from any universities they applied to.

I applied to a horde of universities(edinburgh, st. andrews, durham, glasgow) for a Phd in astrophysics in late December/early January. I am yet to hear from them (besides an email saying they got the application). I am wondering if this is the case with most people?
Also, if people have got offers from uni.s(especially in physics) can I know how long it takes from applying to getting the offer?

Ps. really tensed, been checking my mail every single day!
hobnob
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by student_2)
Hi,
I was wondering how long people have had to wait to get offers from any universities they applied to.

I applied to a horde of universities(edinburgh, st. andrews, durham, glasgow) for a Phd in astrophysics in late December/early January. I am yet to hear from them (besides an email saying they got the application). I am wondering if this is the case with most people?
Also, if people have got offers from uni.s(especially in physics) can I know how long it takes from applying to getting the offer?

Well, late December and early January are effectively the same thing, as most departments won't be getting much admissions-related work done over the holidays. If a department is very efficient and they want you really badly, you can have an offer within two weeks, but somewhere in the region of 4-5 weeks seems to be far more common. With some departments you'll have to wait for two months or longer. It all depends, really.
But if you sent off your applications about 4 weeks ago, you haven't really been waiting for very long yet.
Leonie01
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by student_2)
Hi,

take a look in the postgraduate decisions thread to see when some people got offers. i wished more people would post in there because it would answer questions like this that people ask over and over again.

i applied to durham for international relations on feb 7th and heard back pretty quickly. about a week later it said in the online portal that i should contact admissions office (next to decision status). I worried that sth was wrong or missing with my application and called last tuesday where they told me over the phone that i got an offer, last thursday it changed in the online portal and yesterday i got the email outlining the conditions. so all in all it took about 10 days for me.

this morning i got an offer for bristol and it took them exactly 24 days. newcastle and leeds were pretty quick too which u can see in the postgraduate decisions thread.

you could just contact your department at durham and ask. when they told me about my offer it was the department which said it still has to forward it to the admissions office. i am still waiting on a couple like ucl, warwick. warwick said it would take 4 weeks and ucl said i should hear the latest by the end of march. they are notoriously late and i hateeeee it.

all the best with your offers!
student_2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Thanks. I'm guessing I haven't been waiting long enough. Anyway, I'll Leonie01 says and contact them maybe after a couple of weeks of anxious waiting. :erm:
fragant
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm waiting too, buddy. I'm checking my mail approximately every hour. Maybe I'm crazy a little bit.
It's awful...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (124)
39.62%
No - but I will (17)
5.43%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.39%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (152)
48.56%

Watched Threads