Meeting the Parents Watch

Faustus Fotherby
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hey all,

I'm meeting my boyfriend's parents for the first time today; they're coming down to visit him at uni so they're going for a meal and I'm going along too.

So I thought I'd open this up firstly to see if there're any big do's or dont's people have encountered when meeting parents before, but also to see if anyone has any funny stories about parent meeting

Post awaaaaay!
I am soapy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Faustus Fotherby)
Hey all,

I'm meeting my boyfriend's parents for the first time today; they're coming down to visit him at uni so they're going for a meal and I'm going along too.

So I thought I'd open this up firstly to see if there're any big do's or dont's people have encountered when meeting parents before, but also to see if anyone has any funny stories about parent meeting

Post awaaaaay!
Make sure you're not related. Could get awkward.
CapnHooch
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Whatever you do, don't open up with "Hello! Your daughter is a fireball in bed, does she take after your wife?"
SpiritedAway
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by CapnHooch)
Whatever you do, don't open up with "Hello! Your daughter is a fireball in bed, does she take after your wife?"
Yes, it could get awkward that the OP hasn't recognised the gender of her boyfriend.
HumanNature1992
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Damn this must be alot harder when you're gay
Mask Of Sanity
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Whatever you do, don't open up with "Hello! Your son is a fireball in bed, does he take after your husband?"
amuro
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

You're not funny.

At all.
didgeridoo12uk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
just be polite, don't be coupley, sound interested in their lives, ask questions etc and you'll be fine.

and unfortunately no, haven't got any funny stories about first meetings. but just be glad that the first time you're meeting them, you're not having to meet 5 aunts, 2 uncles, 5 cousins and a set of grandparents at the same time. somehow i managed to survive over a week of it without screwing up
PAPAdawg
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
make sure you dont stink of lube
Vohamanah
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by SpiritedAway)
Yes, it could get awkward that the OP hasn't recognised the gender of her boyfriend.
Or his own gender, even

OP don't stress about it. If he's happy for you to meet his parents he must think you'd get on OK. Just be pleasant and interested in what they are talking about, even if its crap you weren't involved in (I find parents have a habit of talking about "remember the time when...").

Hopefully you will find something other than your boyfriend you have in common and can talk about. Maybe try and get some goss from him beforehand. Any topics of conversation to avoid, anything you can 'drop in' for a couple of brownie points.

Good luck, hope it goes well =)

EDIT: Oh and when I first met my ex's parents we went to visit them and they had to most ridiculously steep drive sloping down towards the house, which you parked on sideways. His parents were stood in the window of the living room waving when we arrived. I opened the car door and veeeeery slowly fell out. Right onto the floor. Nice first impression. Hopefully you won't have that issue.
d0000dle
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
My friend, at dinner with his girlfriend and her parents, got quite tipsy and decided to tell them how really loud their daughter was in bed . . . needless to say it's been a bit awkward ever since. So, don't just mention your sex life and you should be okay. Be polite and friendly and it'll go well.
thecaterpillar
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Apparently my ex's parents first thoughts of me (which they shared after I left, I should add) were something like 'she looks quite exotic, where did you find her?'

I guess my best one was when my dad (who I don't live with) had come to visit and another of my boyfriends was round at the same time. Somehow they just ended up in the kitchen talking about American football and entirely ignoring me. x)
Maths Freak!!!
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The OP's Gay so he's a guy because he's meeting his boyfriend? am i right in saying this?
Faustus Fotherby
Rep:
?
(Original post by I am soapy)
Make sure you're not related. Could get awkward.
Dang yeh, can't be having that! Think I'm ok there though :top:

(Original post by Vohamanah)
EDIT: Oh and when I first met my ex's parents we went to visit them and they had to most ridiculously steep drive sloping down towards the house, which you parked on sideways. His parents were stood in the window of the living room waving when we arrived. I opened the car door and veeeeery slowly fell out. Right onto the floor. Nice first impression. Hopefully you won't have that issue.
Don't worry, I'm not stressed, your story was good though :p:

(Original post by Maths Freak!!!)
The OP's Gay so he's a guy because he's meeting his boyfriend? am i right in saying this?
Your powers of deduction are, indeed, spot on :top:
Maths Freak!!!
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Dang yeh, can't be having that! Think I'm ok there though :top:

Don't worry, I'm not stressed, your story was good though :p:

Your powers of deduction are, indeed, spot on :top:
Haha
la-dauphine
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hey all,

Post awaaaaay!
Hey

I met my boyfriend's mother a few days ago and was quite nervous. She turned out to be really lovely and I think I've made a good impression. These are some of my do's and don'ts:

*Avoid politics if possible, unless you know that they have the same views as you.

*Order something that's easy to eat (I ordered a salad and had trouble getting it all on my fork).

*Be yourself! If you're nervous or try to put on airs and graces, they'll see through it.

You'll probably have a great time have fun!
LUCYPOOCEY
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm meeting mine soon too, scary stuff :K:
Faustus Fotherby
Rep:
?
(Original post by LUCYPOOCEY)
I'm meeting mine soon too, scary stuff :K:
High five for parent meeting :five: :p: I'm not too worried about it, I feel I'm a nice, respectable person so should be alright. My housemate said to avoid talking about myself unless asked a question - keep asking them questions
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't find it scary at all - I quite like it and it has always gone very well.

Ultimately you should just be a polite(r) version of yourself - listen to them and seem interested etc.
Anonymous #1
Report 8 years ago
funny story?... i've been with him for 13 months, and he still hasn't told his parents.
though i think they've probably worked it out, i've never said more than a "hi" to them when they've dropped his stuff off at our house at uni.
oh that makes me feel so special...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (380)
37.33%
No - but I will (78)
7.66%
No - I don't want to (71)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (489)
48.04%

Watched Threads