Regression help Watch

Solid_Snake_100
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi,

I have some stats assignment, but was just slightly confused about the last part.

I had to find the regression line of Y on X which was fine, then later on, the regression of ln Y on ln X, which was also fine. I got a better R^2 value for the latter, and the last part of my question asks "Why might an economist be interested in the results of a regression of ln(Y ) on ln(X)". I wasn't really sure how the ln value could help in statistical analysis, anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!
vc94
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The higher R^2 value suggests the ln model is more appropriate. Since a greater proportion of the variation in ln(Y) can be explained by the variation in ln(X).
Solid_Snake_100
Rep:
?
(Original post by vc94)
The higher R^2 value suggests the ln model is more appropriate. Since a greater proportion of the variation in ln(Y) can be explained by the variation in ln(X).
Ahh sorry, I forgot to mention I know that, I was just a bit confused about the last part, what application could using a regression of ln x and ln y have over those of just x and y?
vc94
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Solid_Snake_100)
Ahh sorry, I forgot to mention I know that, I was just a bit confused about the last part, what application could using a regression of ln x and ln y have over those of just x and y?
If your x,y data seems to have an exponential pattern then the regression of lnX and lnY may be easier to deal with???

Not sure what the question is after!
little_wizard123
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Solid_Snake_100)
Regressions using natural logs is the same as percentage changes, i.e. you now have the growth rate of y regressed on the growth rate of x. This is why economists like it.
Solid_Snake_100
Rep:
?
(Original post by little_wizard123)
Regressions using natural logs is the same as percentage changes, i.e. you now have the growth rate of y regressed on the growth rate of x. This is why economists like it.
Ahhh ok, thanks for the help, don't think i've read about that before.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (139)
38.19%
No - but I will (20)
5.49%
No - I don't want to (26)
7.14%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (179)
49.18%

Watched Threads