The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

GCSE Options! Help Want to Study at LSE and be an Investment Banker

Hi All :lttd:,

Basically I Just got my GCSE Options on Wednesday, and I want to study at LSE, and then go into Investment Banking.

I Have a 6 Options but only 2 of them meet my criteria so I will only list them:

9 x GCSE Plus 2 Options and upto 3 Full Course/ Twilight Options (RE Full Course, Latin which i dont do, and ICT CIDA + )

9 x GCSE Plus 2 Options

So I would only do RE FULL COURSE if i do the first option, Isit any good any views?

and the Core Subjects Are: English Lit, English Lang, Maths, Citizenship Short Course, R.E Short Course, ICT AiDA, PE Non-GCSE, Additional Science Double GCSE, Geography or History, German as I have been doing it since Year 7.

I have the option to choose 4 courses but I can only get into 2 hence why it is 2 Options, So My first option will be Economics; I don't know what my other choices shall be I would like to choose Either Sociology, Triple Science, I.C.T.

I know there goes my 4 Choices; I don't know which to pick because I want either those I like I.C.T But I cant risk having the Same ****** Teacher he is so Fresh its unbelievable! I have not learn't anything in 3 Years!

So, Let me know how LSE sees Sociology, Triple Science and I.C.T GCSEs and your thoughts on them.

Started a Business On eBay at the age of 13 last year made 2k a week until Paypal saw suspicious activity as I was taking around 1-2k in the first week to fast then limitation couldn't fax in the documents as i'm under 18.

Also What are your thoughts on getting into LSE to do an Economics Course? what A-Levels shall I do?

Help PLEASE! :help:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
choose the hardcore academic subjects like

English, German, Latin, Maths, History, Geography, Triple Science, Econ.

then get all A*s

good to go...
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
LSE wow... you're going to have to work damn hard to get the amount of A* that they want over there.
I hope you're not going in to thie field just for the money but if you're genuinely interested; choose whatever subjects you want to do at GCSE, it doesn't matter all that much.

Then at A level do Maths, a Science maybe further maths or english then Economics..
Reply 3
Nah Serious, I genuinly Want to go into this business and the best uni for economics is LSE hence the name LOL

I don't do Latin, I would have had to get 5 5 5 at SATS in Year 6 but I got 5 5 4.
Would have loved to but apparently the teacher was **** aswell.

Really Want to get into LSE but second choice UCL

I'm pretty good at maths; Bad Teacher , Enlgish Love it Best Teacher, Science Don't Really understand due to a teacher I don't understand

I'm genuinely complaining about these teachers!, They don't Plan lessons and don't know what they're talking about either!

Any Help I got an Idea now Choosing Geog Definately, Economics, History, Triple Science and Sociology or I.C.T let me know

Heard that you shouldn't do Economics at A Level as Unis aren't looking for it don't know why.....
(edited 13 years ago)
Do 11 to 12 subjects at GCSEs and plan to get atleast 9+ A*s. Go for subjects at AS level M, FM, Eco at min add Hist/ geog Plus language. Drop one at A2 level, obviously keeping M,FM and Eco. Good luck :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Dumb Economist
Do 11 to 12 subjects at GCSEs and plan to get atleast 9+ A*s. Go for % subjects at AS level M, FM, Eco at min add Hist/ geog Plus language. Drop one at A2 level, obviously keeping M,FM and Eco. Good luck :smile:

Thanks for the answer; planning to do history and geography what are your views?, what do you mean by 'Go for % subjects at AS level M, FM, Eco at min add Hist/ geog Plus language. Drop one at A2 level, obviously keeping M,FM and Eco'

Please get back to me!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Roshan
Thanks for the answer; planning to do history and geography what are your views?, what do you mean by 'Go for % subjects at AS level M, FM, Eco at min add Hist/ geog Plus language. Drop one at A2 level, obviously keeping M,FM and Eco'

Please get back to me!

At AS level take Maths, Further Maths, ECO, Hist or Geog (but not both), Language
AT A2 level -Keep Maths , FM, ECO and one of Hist or Geog or Lang.

I hope I am more clear now. Good Luck - You can PM if you want. :smile:
Reply 7
PM Sent :biggrin:
Reply 8
Any More People Want to help? Dumb Economist's Answer was PRICELESS (Y)
Reply 9
Bump!!! Help!!!
Reply 10
lol how old are you?

Make sure your GCSEs include maths/triple sciences/eng lit/eng lang/econ/foreign language. Other than that it doesn't really matter.
(edited 13 years ago)
Wannabe bankers at aged 14? Hmmm....
Reply 12
Original post by Krebs
lol how old are you?

Make sure your GCSEs include maths/triple sciences/eng lit/eng lang/econ/foreign language. Other than that it doesn't really matter.

Lol I'm 14 why include Triple Science? I plan to do everything else but in my school Double science is core so do I have to do Triple?
Reply 13
Original post by Roshan
Lol I'm 14 why include Triple Science? I plan to do everything else but in my school Double science is core so do I have to do Triple?

Doesn't matter. Asking questions like these will kill your chances at IB anw.
Reply 14
Original post by Roshan

Without causing offence, dont do subjects that are perceived to be non-academic like the arts and D&T, as for the field you want to go into they hold no relevance.

Secondly....just relax, they are GCSE options. Just choose subjects that are academic and you enjoy. Its the choices you make at a level which are crucial, like dont do both business studies and economics at a level.
Reply 15
Thanks I have an Idea of what to do now I have 4 options and I choose Economics, History or Triple Science and I.C.T Sociology is out R.E is out unless they are highly rated???
Reply 16
Original post by Roshan

Focus on traditional subjects. Sciences, essay writing subjects (history, geography, econ) and maths. But include one creative (drama music d.t) and one foreign language.
Original post by Roshan
Nah Serious, I genuinly Want to go into this business and the best uni for economics is LSE hence the name LOL

I don't do Latin, I would have had to get 5 5 5 at SATS in Year 6 but I got 5 5 4.
Would have loved to but apparently the teacher was **** aswell.

Really Want to get into LSE but second choice UCL

I'm pretty good at maths; Bad Teacher , Enlgish Love it Best Teacher, Science Don't Really understand due to a teacher I don't understand

I'm genuinely complaining about these teachers!, They don't Plan lessons and don't know what they're talking about either!

Any Help I got an Idea now Choosing Geog Definately, Economics, History, Triple Science and Sociology or I.C.T let me know

Heard that you shouldn't do Economics at A Level as Unis aren't looking for it don't know why.....

Really? That's news to me.

OT They don't really care at all, just do the "academic" ones and get A*'s. Although if you chose Art over RS I doubt they'd care, the number of A*'s is much more important than what they are in (generally speaking).
Original post by Roshan
Thanks I have an Idea of what to do now I have 4 options and I choose Economics, History or Triple Science and I.C.T Sociology is out R.E is out unless they are highly rated???

I'd say R.E is better than ICT and Economics (economics at GCSE really isn't worthwhile)
Reply 19
Me Too!

Basically now its a vote between I.C.T Sociology and Triple Science (for second, third and fourth place Economics is first) Which is Better!

Most Helpfully Which is Easiest

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending