Warwick or Durham or Loughborough (2/3) Watch

tory88
  • Study Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
NOTE: Please quote me in your answers so I know to come back here.

Hello,

I am a student looking to study Physics for four years at a top university in the UK and have the following replies:

Durham - AAA
Warwick - AAB
Loughborough - AA
Sheffield - AAB
Oxford - Rejection

As it is, I have ruled out Sheffield as I much prefer Warwick and it is the better institution. Until recently, I was planning on taking up Warwick and Loughborough offers. I have visited both Warwick and Durham and did initially feel I would be happier at Warwick (as there didn't seem much to do in Durham). However, whilst speaking with my head of year, maths teacher and further maths teacher (all the same person) he implied that he disagreed with my thoughts. As I am by no means certain, I am turning to TSR for help (and to my Physics teachers when I next see them).

It all comes down to this: is the extra prestige of Durham worth putting it as my first choice (with Warwick backup) despite my initial feelings, or are my initial feelings about Durham incorrect. To add to that, which offers would you recommend I accept from my selection. The grades aren't a problem - I'm predicted A*AA and am currently on track for A*A*A (although I don't think my second A* will convert).

Thanks in advance,

Tory88
DeepStar
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by tory88)

Hello,

I am a student looking to study Physics for four years at a top university in the UK and have the following replies:

Durham - AAA
Warwick - AAB
Loughborough - AA
Sheffield - AAB
Oxford - Rejection

As it is, I have ruled out Sheffield as I much prefer Warwick and it is the better institution. Until recently, I was planning on taking up Warwick and Loughborough offers. I have visited both Warwick and Durham and did initially feel I would be happier at Warwick (as there didn't seem much to do in Durham). However, whilst speaking with my head of year, maths teacher and further maths teacher (all the same person) he implied that he disagreed with my thoughts. As I am by no means certain, I am turning to TSR for help (and to my Physics teachers when I next see them).

It all comes down to this: is the extra prestige of Durham worth putting it as my first choice (with Warwick backup) despite my initial feelings, or are my initial feelings about Durham incorrect. To add to that, which offers would you recommend I accept from my selection. The grades aren't a problem - I'm predicted A*AA and am currently on track for A*A*A (although I don't think my second A* will convert).

Thanks in advance,

Tory88
If the only reason who have 'gone off' Durham is because you think there isnt much to do then you are wrong - Durham has countless events going on through the week and weekends ranging from partying to pub quiz. Also, Durham is a 10 minute train journey from Newcastle and Newcastle has a lot to offer in terms of night life, shopping, days out etc. Im at Durham now and not having anything to do has never been the case in the 2 and half years I have been here.
However, if you feel that you'll be happier at Warwick then by all means go with your gut feelings. I would advise a second trip to both universities if possible, speak to current students and do some research about where you'll be happiest.

Good luck
Kerny
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Durham
Rubbaduckzilla
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Warwick. Congratz for the offers btw.
swallows
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't want to sway you either way in your decision, but there really isn't a difference in terms of 'prestige' between Warwick and Durham. If perceived reputation is what's making you doubt your gut feeling to go for Warwick the I thought it was worth saying that. On the other hand, I'm sure there's plenty to do at Durham so don't let the idea that there will be nothing going on be the reason to put you off going there either. That probably wasn't terribly helpful!
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Hello,

Durham - AAA
Warwick - AAB
Loughborough - AA
Sheffield - AAB
Oxford - Rejection

All of those universities are capable of providing a broadly comparable, solid undergraduate education. Durham certainly has one of the strongest departments in the country (and in areas such as astrophysics it certainly is world leading) but if you feel it isn't the right place for you don't go.

Personally though, I don't see Durham as offering less than Warwick although I certainly recognise that Warwick's campus offers enough and probably has a stronger student union than Durham.

Durham can be claustrophobic at times, a criticism also made of Warwick, but the collegiate system does offer additional socities and recreational activities. If you're interested in sport then, generally speaking, Durham is one of the strongest universities in the country.

It has a better music scene than many give it credit. Perhaps because some of the best pubs aren't typical student pubs (Angel Inn, for example). Though there is Fishtank which is quite popular with students.

Just don't expect it to be a clubbing mecca. Being a very small, historic city it certainly will never be. I don't mind the relative lack of clubs, it still appears to appease most, I just wish we had a proper dedicated cinema and some decent independent music shops. Travelling to a completely different city, in a different county, for most good films and music shops gets to be a bit of a pain. Even if it is only 10 minutes on the train. Never did find out what happened to that music shop on North Road...

Look into Durham some more. Try and get specific information from the Durham subforum. You can't really get a good impression of how much there is to do in the city in just a short visit. Not to mention the socieities on offer and collegiate life. But if you still feel Warwick is the best place for you then chose it.

Don't be too influenced by your teachers unless they are particularly well informed (which, in my experience, only applies to a relative minority). Many will have out of date opinions. That they appear to be telling you Durham has this additional prestige over Warwick does suggest that they are a little out of date. It doesn't.
tory88
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Thanks for all of the responses, it certainly gives me a lot to consider. I suppose its being from London that gives me a rather skewed view of what would be bland and what wouldn't be. I'm certainly not the most socially active person, so I imagine I'm placing too much emphasis on the social aspect for myself anyway. I'll give it some thought, talk to various people, and come to my decision. I'll try to remember to post my decision on this thread (so any more help is appreciated too). Thanks again for all of the replies,

Tory88
tory88
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I am remembering to post my decision now, and seeing as people are making their decisions of where to apply again this could be useful. In the end I firmed Warwick and insured Loughborough. I got my A*A*A and am now looking forward to attending Warwick. I believe I made the right choice, although as always with me there is a nagging doubt. I am now considering whether to switch from physics to physics and maths for my degree, any help there would be appreciated (see: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1766462)
Phenomenological
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Essay
I had a choice between Warwick and Durham for engineering. I chose Warwick because I preferred the feel of the place. I'd advise you to decide which you'd enjoy more and go there.

Edit: Oh, you resurrected the thread. Scratch what I said, and enjoy Warwick.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (260)
38.92%
No - but I will (45)
6.74%
No - I don't want to (49)
7.34%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (314)
47.01%

Watched Threads