UN/WHO/Diplomatic Service Graduate Gap Year Watch

Ilios_Lampros
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi,

I am 22 and currently studying for a masters in public health/ epidemiology at Imperial having graduated from Natural Sciences at Cambridge (I used to be a vet student).

I basically want to work in the UN/WHO, diplomatic service, EU Commission - that sort of thing. Upshot is that after this year (October/November 2011 onwards - although I may want to spend time writing up my masters thesis and hopefully publish something) I will be applying for jobs/PhDs/FastStream - leaving me with almost a full year free to pursue an internship/work experience as I wait for responses.

I would just like to ask if any of you have any ideas what to do with this time (in terms of internships, temporary jobs etc) to improve my chances of getting any of these coveted jobs? I have already thought of the French embassy, European Commission Brussels Internship and a couple of other things and I'm interested if you have any more ideas. Money's not so great an issue as I do freelance work for a PR company which can earn me 10 grand a year. I certainly don't mind where it is and I can work in French and Spanish.

-another idea was to live in Casablanca for the year, learn arabic and work for an English/French language publication while keeping up some freelance work and fly back to the UK periodically for PhD/FastStream interviews.

Any suggestions welcome. Sorry about the long post!

Regards
Sol
Aerasay
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
For most UN jobs it is useful to show you have at least 12 months international experience. So I would say apply for the UN internships if you are eligible, or try and get a year overseas - VSO offers a great program depending on your age/experience and nationality and it is well respected. They also have lots of health positions

If money isn't an option I would just head off to somewhere that interests you and try and get a job.
Ilios_Lampros
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I don't have enough experience for VSO.
Aerasay
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Have you looked at the youth programs? If you are under 25 you might fulfil their requirements?

Alternatively, turning up in a country, teaching English for a while and then getting a development job is relatively common, especially for someone with your language skills.
beefmaster
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
With your language skills I would just turn my in Morocco and then see what job opportunities are available when you get there. A lot of the smaller local development organizations won't advertise for positions online so you really have to just call them when you are in the country.

Good luck if you want any other information on working in NGOs let me know!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (561)
37.68%
No - but I will (116)
7.79%
No - I don't want to (106)
7.12%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (706)
47.41%

Watched Threads