Recommended / Avoid Gyms Watch

The_Male_Melons
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Avoid

David Lloyds- 1. Expensive (it is not worth it for what offer which is "meh") 2. Dirty and kinda smells as well

Now for the rant: 3. Immoral- cancelling membership is a nightmare- You can wipe out TB even some forms of cancer, but you'll find it impossible to wipe out David Lloyds. Their cancellation policies are shocking.
e.g) A year membership with David LLoyds. You have to inform three/four months before the membership expires. If you don't, they will charge you. Even when you do inform by letter , apparently it is "lost". :rolleyes: I had to keep calling them every other hour of the every day and sending letters every day so it does not get "lost". Even then, they had the audacity to send me a letter stating arrears after the membership was over. I am glad that I am no longer a member with David Lloyds.
It is a shame it has not gone bankrupt or gone to the wall.

On a quick google search - it seems Esporta and bannatynes follows similiar cancellation policies.

Recommend

DW fitness (clean but does have a small number of chavs- what can you do when it is nearest and decent gym near halls)

Total Fitness

Just list any recommendations and any avoidances so people can make their own minds up from people's experiences with gyms.
ch0c0h01ic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by The_Male_Melons)
Now for the rant: 3. Immoral- cancelling membership is a nightmare- You can wipe out TB even some forms of cancer, but you'll find it impossible to wipe out David Lloyds. Their cancellation policies are shocking.
e.g) A year membership with David LLoyds. You have to inform three/four months before the membership expires. If you don't, they will charge you.

On a quick google search - it seems Esporta and bannatynes follows similiar cancellation policies.
It is a common practice found throughout the service sector, from gym memberships to internet providers. It is not a problem as long as pay close attention to your finances. Similarly this would have been made aware to you when you signed the membership contract.

Even when you do inform by letter , apparently it is "lost". :rolleyes: I had to keep calling them every other hour of the every day and sending letters every day so it does not get "lost". Even then, they had the audacity to send me a letter stating arrears after the membership was over. I am glad that I am no longer a member with David Lloyds.
Always send stuff which is important and/or urgent by recorded delivery, then you have evidence that it was sent and received.
RawJoh1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Standard rule is, go to an independent gym if you can. They deserve your support.
The_Male_Melons
Rep:
?
(Original post by RawJoh1)
Standard rule is, go to an independent gym if you can. They deserve your support.
I would like to go an independant gym- but there is none near me. I think that is the same with most people.
People are willing to go and support independant gyms if it is there.
DdotT
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Imo just go to your local Council run gym, mine charges £2.60 not ****ing £30 a week.
miike1234
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
DC Leisure were good when I cancelled, just phoned up and said can they cancel it and it was done.
TeenageDream
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The David Lloyd gym that I go to is not that bad at all. The staff are always friendly, it is always clean (toilets cleaned every few hours etc), and it never smells. Also why did you get a yearly contract with them? You should have got a monthly contract, sure it's 5% more but that's nothing.

On the other hand it is overpriced for what it is. £44/m is far too much, and for that reason alone I'm going to move to another gym that is almost half that in a few months.
Powerlifter
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I would like to go an independant gym- but there is none near me. I think that is the same with most people.
People are willing to go and support independant gyms if it is there.

I doubt that, they are all over the place.

Where about are you?
The_Male_Melons
Rep:
?
(Original post by Powerlifter)
I doubt that, they are all over the place.

Where about are you?
I live in a small village, between Manchester and Preston. The nearest gyms are usually chain ones.
Powerlifter
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I live in a small village, between Manchester and Preston. The nearest gyms are usually chain ones.
So right by Adlington barbell club where Worlds strongest man competator Mark Felix trains.

Sugden Barbell club is near there too.

And not far from Olympic Dragons gym (look at the youtube page for and idea) owned by wieghtlifters.

Spit and sawdust gyms are around more than you think, they are just not as easy to find!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (432)
37.47%
No - but I will (88)
7.63%
No - I don't want to (79)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (554)
48.05%

Watched Threads