Good course but not so great university. Help? Watch

amack1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I am at the University of Liverpool studying Anatomy & Human Biology, which was a very hard course to get on (required AAB-ABB).
However, I am not enjoying university at all! I dont' have any friends, I'm depressed and there are only 30 people on my course. I have moved out of my accommodation and get the train into university each day. It has made me extremely depressed

I am looking to do drop this course and do Pharmacy. I currently work in a Pharmacy part time which I really enjoy So working here has already given me a years experience.
The University of Liverpool don't do Pharmacy but Liverpool John Moores do. I have applied for here, Manchester and UCLan.
But here is my problem, I don't want to experience the same problems on a different course at a different uni.
So if i went to Liverpool John Moores, I would have to move away from home again and maybe risk the same problems like missing home, not making friends ect.
Going to UCLan would be best because I live right by it! So I could stay at home, see my friends from and save money on accommodation. But UCLan isn't a great uni

So really my question is, do I go to a good university but risk getting depressed again or stay at home and be happy, but study at a not so great (ex-polytechnic) university?
ilyking
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
what exactly is wrong with your course? you say it's a bad course to get onto
amack1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by ilyking)
what exactly is wrong with your course? you say it's a bad course to get onto
Anatomy is a very good course. But it doesn't really get me anywhere apart from a graduate entry into Medicine or Dentistry, which isn't what I want to do.
I really wanted to do it though and I worked really hard to get the high grades but...because im having such a bad time at university i can't concentrate during lectures or anything
Shelly_x
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Isn't pharmacy regulated anyway like medicine? If it is then it doesn't matter which uni you go to as long as you get the degree. If its not then ignore me
TheSownRose
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by amack1)
I am at the University of Liverpool studying Anatomy & Human Biology, which was a very hard course to get on (required AAB-ABB).
However, I am not enjoying university at all! I dont' have any friends, I'm depressed and there are only 30 people on my course. I have moved out of my accommodation and get the train into university each day. It has made me extremely depressed

I am looking to do drop this course and do Pharmacy. I currently work in a Pharmacy part time which I really enjoy So working here has already given me a years experience.
The University of Liverpool don't do Pharmacy but Liverpool John Moores do. I have applied for here, Manchester and UCLan.
But here is my problem, I don't want to experience the same problems on a different course at a different uni.
So if i went to Liverpool John Moores, I would have to move away from home again and maybe risk the same problems like missing home, not making friends ect.
Going to UCLan would be best because I live right by it! So I could stay at home, see my friends from and save money on accommodation. But UCLan isn't a great uni

So really my question is, do I go to a good university but risk getting depressed again or stay at home and be happy, but study at a not so great (ex-polytechnic) university?
Won't make an ounce of difference for pharmacy - as long as it's accredited, it's of equal value. So if you'd rather go to UCLan, go to UCLan.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (236)
39.14%
No - but I will (41)
6.8%
No - I don't want to (45)
7.46%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (281)
46.6%

Watched Threads