Ackwardness in the house Watch

She_Bittersweet
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hey there!

Ah well Ive been really glad we didnt have any arguments or anything with my flatmates until yesterday.

I live with one of my course mate and the other girl from the same departament.We got a massive bill in February for heating because when me and my other friend went back home she had the heating pretty much all the time saying "its cheap and she doesnt want to be miserable" .We said we wouldnt pay for it and she had to pay the bill which is only fair because we havent used it!

Anyway, lately she kept putting extra time on the heater like adding half an hour or 15mins every day, so we pretty much lost track of how much we use.The last straw for me was when we ended up with 7 hours of heating a day even though it was 12 degrees outside. It came to a point where when she goes downstairs and puts it on either of us goes after her and takes it off.So since yesterday when she put it on and my flatmate took if off shes not speaking to us anymore.Like completely ignoring us, even though we live in the same house!She blocked me on facebook too which is really stupid and immature in my eyes. Also took the kettle into her room so we cant use it (well its her kettle but its been in the kitchen for months now). She also locked the door from inside yesterday so my other flatmate cant get in and had to wake me up for me to open the door!

This is really stupid situation, but I just cannot afford to pay for extra heating we kept taking it off for a reason!The problem is I dont know what to do now, shes not talking to us and left really early in the morning and we obviously do need to talk and sort this out, its like kindergarden!

Did anyone have the same problem? What did you do about it? She wanted the biggest room in the house and she got it and now complaining about the lack of heating when shes only wearing leggings and a tiny top is a really stupid

Ah sorry for essay but advice greatly appreciated!
schrodinger's kitten
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Talk to her about it without being aggressive. If she won't speak to you then write her a note saying you'd like to talk and clear the air. Start by saying that you're sorry if you've upset her (even if you're in the right over the heating issue). Since you have to live together, the most urgent thing is to get rid of the awkwardness. Is it possible that this is about more than just the heating? Does she feel left out or something? When you're speaking again, explain gently that the reason you need to keep the heating low is that you can't afford to pay for it, so she doesn't think that you're just being awkward.
DaneCook
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Smack a ***** in the mouth!
TheFlyingDutchman
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Tell her to get an electric heater for the room she's in.

Simples. (You'd be amazed at how little an effect it will have on the cost to run one electric heater in one room for a few hours)
She_Bittersweet
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Update

We talked yesterday, which didnt resolve the problem but made it worse I think.She said "maybe my room would heat better if you two turn your radiators off" So basically she wants me to pay and not even use it.At least we set the timings on the heater so there wont be any surprises anymore, yet all this situation and other details I figured out made me seriosly reconsider if we can be friends anymore, thank god Im going on a year abroad.

Some people just dont realize that if we get a massive bill again she might as well have to pay it as I simply wont have the money.
mxcs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ugh, I've had to deal with the same thing when I haven't even been in the house for the last few months and my dad had to give me the money towards the bill as the cost was insane, which I feel terrible about.

Make sure everyone agrees exactly when the heating will be on and on which level, and make sure she knows you cannot afford to pay a massive bill. & wearing more clothes isn't exactly difficult.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (273)
38.18%
No - but I will (51)
7.13%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.13%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (340)
47.55%

Watched Threads