Why can't you re-freeze meat? Watch

Arekkusu
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Freezing essentially deactivates the growth of bacteria, so why on earth can't you refreeze meat?

In any case, why do you have to be so careful about anything like this; surely as long as you cook the **** out of it afterwards any bacteria in it are all going to die anyway?

In my life it's impossible not to do things like refrigerate chicken for days on end before finishing it, or defrosting meat under the tap to separate it, then refreezing. I've never got ill from it. Clearly nobody has time to cogitate about this sort of thing. So what is it all about?
TheRustaman
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
http://tinyurl.com/6zzpzv4
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Bacteria grows while it's unfrozen. So each time you defrost, more bacteria can grow. Cooking well can kill most bacteria, but freezing only stops more from growing, not killing the existing bacteria.

Most of the time, whether you refroze or not, you'd be fine eating it. It's like when people undercook chicken or sausages, not that many would actually make you ill- but the results can be incredibly nasty if you happen to get a bad piece of meat. *Shudders*
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'd treat it as one of those 'obedience of fools or guidance of the wise' deals.

if you're not an idiot, you understand food hygene and what bacteria are you can do it.

if you ARE a idiot you should blindly obey the rule cos it'll steer you away from possible trouble.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (481)
37.9%
No - but I will (98)
7.72%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.93%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (602)
47.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise