Vacation Scheme or this externship to America? Watch

Aw16
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hello people,

Like most of you I've been waiting (and waiting) for those lucrative vacation scheme placements.

However, my University has just informed us that one person from second year has the opportunity to go to Los Angeles for 10 weeks (June - August 2011) and do actual work for 2 or more judges whom work there. The successful applicant would therefore be a judicial extern.

The externship is fully paid for - and it is 10 weeks in LA...

However - may I ask - do you believe that it would be useful on ones CV? Would taking avail of vac/schemes be more useful?

Thanks,

Adam
Aerasay
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yes it would be very useful and is very well regarded. I have US work experience on my CV and it is well thought of, and I have friends who have done similar projects to what you are talking about in Chicago and they have had lots of interest from law firms.

They might well be more use on a CV than a VS due to the length of time that you would be there and the amount of experience you would actually get. On a VS you dont actually generally get much experience of law. However the downside would be if the VS's are linked to TC placements you would need to do the VSs in order to be considered for the TC.

You are only in second year so I would be weighing up the benefits of the externship with the need to get a VS this year, if you were happy to put off VS and TC applications until next year, when you would have a stronger CV with more legal experience and consider a gap year.

Of course all of this depends on you getting accepted for either a VS or an externship. There is no harm in applying, and then making a decision once you have offers!
Cast.Iron
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Out of curiosity, which university are you at?
eve_22
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I've answered your question in the other thread.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (179)
39.43%
No - but I will (25)
5.51%
No - I don't want to (32)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (218)
48.02%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise