Completed A-Level modules before applying to Cambridge? Watch

ADude
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I'm pretty much frustrated so I would be appreciated if anyone could help me here especially those who have applied to Cambridge.
Currently, I'm a private candidate doing A-Level (Maths, Further Maths, Physics) and I'm planning to apply for Cambrdige mathematical tripos for 2011-2012. As you all know, the first round of a-level exams are in summer 2011 and I'm almost ready to sit the exams. The bad news is that I have had some trouble getting my passport and I'm afraid that I cannot take my A-level exams in summer (I’m outside UK). The only option for me is to take all the exams in January 2012.

This morning, I was looking at Cambridge form for overseas applicants and I noticed that i should write down all the a-level modules I have completed and all the modules I’m going to complete. But I won’t have any completed modules before January 2012 so I have to leave the completed modules field empty. Is that gonna affect my application process? I really want to at least get the chance of getting accepted for interviews.
comrade_jon
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ADude)
I'm pretty much frustrated so I would be appreciated if anyone could help me here especially those who have applied to Cambridge.
Currently, I'm a private candidate doing A-Level (Maths, Further Maths, Physics) and I'm planning to apply for Cambrdige mathematical tripos for 2011-2012. As you all know, the first round of a-level exams are in summer 2011 and I'm almost ready to sit the exams. The bad news is that I have had some trouble getting my passport and I'm afraid that I cannot take my A-level exams in summer (I’m outside UK). The only option for me is to take all the exams in January 2012.

This morning, I was looking at Cambridge form for overseas applicants and I noticed that i should write down all the a-level modules I have completed and all the modules I’m going to complete. But I won’t have any completed modules before January 2012 so I have to leave the completed modules field empty. Is that gonna affect my application process? I really want to at least get the chance of getting accepted for interviews.
If you choose to apply this year, I would make your chosen college aware of your issues via the SAQ, and for other universities to be aware via the UCAS reference. Cambridge have a very high interview rate, so with some solid GCSEs (or international equivalent) you may well get one. It may also be a case for CSAS (http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/unde...forms/csas.pdf), however that is debatable.

I would email your chosen college (or colleges if you've yet to decide about the circumstances) before September. Often colleges have widely varying opinions on issues (I have been told completely different things regarding my own circumstances by different colleges for instance), so to get their opinion on it now would be best.They may well recommend you apply in the 2013 cycle rather than 2012 one.

In Britain those subjects are usually taken in a modular fashion (i.e. some would have been taken in January not this summer), however once again it is dependent on different colleges.

So just send a polite email to the admissions staff at the colleges you desire, or if you wish to be an open applicant to the central admissions staff, and see what they say. Normally I would say that it would be very difficult for them to assess you, but given I think there's an entrance exam in Mathematics then they may well make allowances.

Hope this all helps
ADude
Thanks for your informative reply. Honestly I don't want to postpone my application process until 2013 because it is going to be a waste of time and until then I'll become a mature student which may require a different application process.

I'm going to email the college I'm intending to apply but it's really difficult for me to justice my bad performance in high school (that's why I decided to take A-level to show that I have the necessary mathematical skills).

As far as I know, there is a written test just before the interview (correct me on this), other than that I haven't heard of any other maths enterance test that is administrated by cambridge(other than STEP).
I have another crazy idea: I might be able to sit STEP I and II papers (since they take place all around the globe primarly in British Council) and although I doubt that I get a high mark I think that's at least going to prove that I have the necessary skills and I get the interviews in hope of getting a conditional offer. Then I can sit STEP II and III in summer 2012 (in case I got the offer). what do you think of this?
comrade_jon
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ADude)
Thanks for your informative reply. Honestly I don't want to postpone my application process until 2013 because it is going to be a waste of time and until then I'll become a mature student which may require a different application process.

I'm going to email the college I'm intending to apply but it's really difficult for me to justice my bad performance in high school (that's why I decided to take A-level to show that I have the necessary mathematical skills).

As far as I know, there is a written test just before the interview (correct me on this), other than that I haven't heard of any other maths enterance test that is administrated by cambridge(other than STEP).
I have another crazy idea: I might be able to sit STEP I and II papers (since they take place all around the globe primarly in British Council) and although I doubt that I get a high mark I think that's at least going to prove that I have the necessary skills and I get the interviews in hope of getting a conditional offer. Then I can sit STEP II and III in summer 2012 (in case I got the offer). what do you think of this?
Yes I am fairly certain there is a written test before the interview. I vividly remember sitting in the pub with my parents on interview day and overhearing a boy telling his Dad that his maths test went well but the interview not so much.

I would also consider emailing other colleges at the same time, just as ones you may have thought about otherwise. At least email three or so.

I would say all this, including your STEP suggestion, in your email. The fact you would become a mature student if you were entering the 2013 cycle suggests that things may be a bit more complicated regarding that, because I have a strong feeling that is what they'll suggest you do, so do make it clear that this will arise in difficulties.
ADude
Thanks for the advice. Just one more question. Which cambridge college do you think have more kind and responsive staff who I (as an unconventional applicant) can bring up my issues with?
kpatb
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ADude)

Actually, instead of all this trouble, I would suggest contacting your local British Council and trying to get them to arrange your Exams to be done there.

It is totally in your advantage to do some of your modules this year before you apply, because at least that way, they know that they're taking someone with solid grades.

What country do you live in?
I could help if you so wish, let me know
comrade_jon
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by kpatb)
Actually, instead of all this trouble, I would suggest contacting your local British Council and trying to get them to arrange your Exams to be done there.

It is totally in your advantage to do some of your modules this year before you apply, because at least that way, they know that they're taking someone with solid grades.

Indeed this would be most beneficial, I was just assuming that the problem was there and unresolvable hence my damage control with the emails and whatnot but this may be very good.
ADude
(Original post by kpatb)

I've just sent you a PM.
kpatb
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by comrade_jon)
Indeed this would be most beneficial, I was just assuming that the problem was there and unresolvable hence my damage control with the emails and whatnot but this may be very good.
Definitely, but what you said also makes sense
As you said, as long as you make the college aware of your situation in your COAF, it shouldn't be a problem really.

Adude, I shall reply now
bhamsh
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ADude)
I've just sent you a PM.
which country are you from??

most oif the time you can doi them exam in ur country itself.

or do the exams which your country does.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
38.82%
No - but I will (46)
6.76%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.5%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (319)
46.91%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed