Is 19 too old to pursue a new sport competitively? Watch

TheCount.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I've dabbled in a bit of everything, be it county Rugby, Athetlics or rowing. I competed at a County level for Rugby and 400m. However, this was all a few years back! I haven't pursued sport competitively since about 16 and only now attend the gym.

Is it too late to start again? I regret not sticking at it. What sports are there which being young isn't prerequisite? I've heard that Swimming, for example, is a sport which one can only hope to succeed in if they started in their youth. I'm 6'1 and about 13 stone, so I think Rugby is pretty much out of the picture.

Motive for this re-think : My CV is severely lacking in terms of extra-curricular. The only activities worthy of remark are those I done three years ago.
TheCount.
Rep:
?
One more thing : Currently working full-time to pay for University. The hours are sporadic, but I'm working about 50 hours + a week. I'm pretty sure any 'club sports' are out of the question as 'days off' are intermittent. One week I'll work monday - Saturday, the next I'll have a Tuesday off etc.
Jessaay!
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Why is rugby out of the question at your size? I know people of all sorts of sizes and heights who play rugby. Just wondering, is all.

You might be surprised by the flexibility of a lot of sports clubs. The rowing one I'm part of at homeis fine with me only joining during holidays and training only a couple of times a week (when I have the time), but mostly I'm a sculler there which means I don't let the team down if I don't show as I row in a single.

If it's entirely out of the question, how about running? It's fairly invigorating and addictive and is a good baseline to any other sport. You could do running until you get to uni- there are all sorts of sports clubs at universities and often they're designed around the timetables of a student. For example, I rowed occassionally before I came to uni but not an awful lot, but I joined the medical school rowing club and the training schedules are pretty much perfect for the amount of time we have.
HumanNature1992
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's not too late, some top boxers for example..

Rocky Marciano started at 23
Nate Campbell started at 24
Larry Holmes started at 19
James "BoneCrusher" Smith (beat tyson) - started at 20

Diff sport I know, but nobody can say it's too late, if you're good you're good.
TheCount.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jessaay!)
Why is rugby out of the question at your size? I know people of all sorts of sizes and heights who play rugby. Just wondering, is all.

You might be surprised by the flexibility of a lot of sports clubs. The rowing one I'm part of at homeis fine with me only joining during holidays and training only a couple of times a week (when I have the time), but mostly I'm a sculler there which means I don't let the team down if I don't show as I row in a single.

If it's entirely out of the question, how about running? It's fairly invigorating and addictive and is a good baseline to any other sport. You could do running until you get to uni- there are all sorts of sports clubs at universities and often they're designed around the timetables of a student. For example, I rowed occassionally before I came to uni but not an awful lot, but I joined the medical school rowing club and the training schedules are pretty much perfect for the amount of time we have.
Well from what I've seen of local Rugby matches, I'd be destroyed.
Running sounds like a good idea to me. Obviously quite a good platform into other sports, so I may just do that during the interim before Uni.
asdfg0987
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
beer pong
py0alb
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If you were good at rugby, you will probably be good at American football with a bit of practice.
Nezer
Report 8 years ago
Simply, NO
powermjp
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Technical sports is a yes, but more physical ones no, go for it
Barden
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You probably could get good at rugby again, just have to ease yourself back into it.

Maybe begin by playing in a club's 2nd or 3rd team - whichever team plays at a slower pace due to the age of its players (I played for my clubs 2nds a couple of times when I was in the U18s, at hooker with one of my mate's dads at loosehead :p: , and made a real impact because I had a speed and agility advantage over the other forwards on the pitch). This will get you used to the physicality and from there you can move up into the faster paced, adult game.

The main problem obviously is that at your age, you no-longer have the proverbial playing field leveled by age group, and there will be some big ****ers out there who are still young enough to have the pace and skill to go with it. Hence why I'm suggesting finding a way of getting used to the physicality first... if you see what I'm getting at.
DonFahad
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Cricket would be easy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (146)
38.32%
No - but I will (21)
5.51%
No - I don't want to (28)
7.35%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (186)
48.82%

Watched Threads