Sfe or saas for student loan? Watch

prudent
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I think i qualify to apply for my student loan through scotland as well as England. Anyone know which one i am better off with? I have lived in England all my life, still currently have a home there that i pay mortgage and council tax on. I moved to Scotland for work 4yrs ago, renting in scotland, again pay coucil tax, etc In other words i have two area of residency. I have just applied to go back to uni and i am rather confused as to who i should apply for my student loan through? From phone conversation, it seems i meet criteria to apply through SFE and SAAS. If so, which i'm i better off with? Is it true childcare grant through SFE is better than SAAS (apparantly Uni's usually run out of funding) and you can be left hanging.
drbluebox
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have a similar query, I am from Scotland but moved to England in summer 2007 and did a course through SAAS which I left, then did a course through Student Finance England(or the LEA as it was back then)

I moved back to Scotland summer 2010 so not sure if its best to apply through SAAS or SFE or if I can the easiest since if I want to go back to uni in England and financed through SFE I would only be entitled to a maximum of 3 years but then would pay massive fee's but get about £3000 a year more in grants in loans.

If I study in Scotland and stay in Scotland I would get £3000 less but no fees but then have a 4 year course and as I am 28 in summer means I wont graduate till I am 32, plus Scottish unis want me to do an access course(with grants and not loans) so would be 33!
prudent
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I must admit the 4yr thing in scotland gets me a bit, so i have applied to uni's in london as well as aberdeen while i make my mind up. That been said, it is a lot cheaper to to live in aberdeen than london, so i think i might be better off studying in scotland. However excluding whether i am studying in scotland or England, do you think it will be more beneficial to go through SFE or SAAS?

So far i have learnt that Tuition is free through SAAS if studying in scotland, but on the other hand, grant is better through SFE than SAAS. I also have to consider childcare grant for my 20month old son but i haven't figured out if this is better through SFE or SAAS. I wonder if i can apply for Tuiton fee only through SAAS and my maintenance loan and grant through SFE? I am so confused? And i haven't found SFE very helpful so far.
auld reekie
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by prudent)
I think i qualify to apply for my student loan through scotland as well as England. Anyone know which one i am better off with? I have lived in England all my life, still currently have a home there that i pay mortgage and council tax on. I moved to Scotland for work 4yrs ago, renting in scotland, again pay coucil tax, etc In other words i have two area of residency. I have just applied to go back to uni and i am rather confused as to who i should apply for my student loan through? From phone conversation, it seems i meet criteria to apply through SFE and SAAS. If so, which i'm i better off with? Is it true childcare grant through SFE is better than SAAS (apparantly Uni's usually run out of funding) and you can be left hanging.
If you live and work in Scotland then you will likely be refused by SFE as you are "ordinarily resident" in scotland.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (553)
37.82%
No - but I will (115)
7.87%
No - I don't want to (103)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (691)
47.26%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise