The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Kent's Medway Campus

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Muchaco
You're doing Criminal Justice and Criminology? How is the course in general? You happy with the teaching quality?

I know this wasn't directed to me, but I'm also doing this subject.
The course is nice. 3 compulsory modules in first year: sociology/criminology/law&legal process and then an optional module out of contemporary history and social policy. The teaching quality is great. For the law module, our seminar leader and lecturer is actually a barrister. The assignments are pretty easy going too. (it is only first year though lol)
Are you interested in law at all?
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 81
Original post by cherryred90s
I know this wasn't directed to me, but I'm also doing this subject.
The course is nice. 3 compulsory modules in first year: sociology/criminology/law&legal process and then an optional module out of contemporary history and social policy. The teaching quality is great. For the law module, our seminar leader and lecturer is actually a barrister. The assignments are pretty easy going too. (it is only first year though lol)
Are you interested in law at all?

Its ok, I'm glad you wrote this.
What are you planning on doing after your time at the university?
And are you happy with where you live? I mean is Medway suitable for you?
I'm not really interested in law, don't wanna be a lawyer for sure :biggrin: it's a bit to hard for me.
Original post by Muchaco
Its ok, I'm glad you wrote this.
What are you planning on doing after your time at the university?
And are you happy with where you live? I mean is Medway suitable for you?
I'm not really interested in law, don't wanna be a lawyer for sure :biggrin: it's a bit to hard for me.

Not completely sure what I want to do when I finish. Perhaps social work/probation. I'm interesting in working with young offenders.
I'm happy with where I live yeah, Medway can be quiet at times but I enjoy it.
If you're not interested in law, criminology might be better suited for you, but it won't make that much difference. The law module is only compulsory in the 1st year. We have some really interesting module choices to choose for year two. I've picked prisons,probation and rehabilitation, youth crime and justice, women & justice and a module on drug use. I'm sure I'll enjoy those much better :smile:
Have you had a look at the modules for the criminology course in Canterbury?
Reply 83
Not completely sure what I want to do when I finish. Perhaps social work/probation. I'm interesting in working with young offenders.
I'm happy with where I live yeah, Medway can be quiet at times but I enjoy it.
If you're not interested in law, criminology might be better suited for you, but it won't make that much difference. The law module is only compulsory in the 1st year. We have some really interesting module choices to choose for year two. I've picked prisons,probation and rehabilitation, youth crime and justice, women & justice and a module on drug use. I'm sure I'll enjoy those much better :smile:
Have you had a look at the modules for the criminology course in Canterbury?

I've heard that people interested in being lawyers go for criminology and regret it later on :biggrin: Can't understand that sort of behaviour, why not go for law specified studies at the first place?
I see that you are motivated into changing the lives of these young offenders , it's really nice to have that sort of people around.
I'm particularly interested in the criminal mind and in crimes overall, as well as the punishing system, jails etc.
Yeah, I did, it's nice, although the last year seems to be the best.
As well, Kent is only a secondary option for me, so chances are low I end up being there :/.
What do you think about a year abroad? I'm really interested in that option, how hard is it to go to another country?
Original post by Muchaco
I've heard that people interested in being lawyers go for criminology and regret it later on :biggrin: Can't understand that sort of behaviour, why not go for law specified studies at the first place?
I see that you are motivated into changing the lives of these young offenders , it's really nice to have that sort of people around.
I'm particularly interested in the criminal mind and in crimes overall, as well as the punishing system, jails etc.
Yeah, I did, it's nice, although the last year seems to be the best.
As well, Kent is only a secondary option for me, so chances are low I end up being there :/.
What do you think about a year abroad? I'm really interested in that option, how hard is it to go to another country?

Yeah but my seminar leader for law said that's all rubbish, she said that if you want to be a lawyer, all you have to do is make sure you choose all the law modules so that you have a background in it and then to do a conversion course. I definitely don't want to be a lawyer though lol, too confusing for me.
Yeah, sounds like criminology would be perfect for you then.
I'm really interested in a year abroad, I'm hoping to do one, or perhaps a term because a year abroad is pretty expensive. I don't know for your other choice of uni but for Kent, you just need to do well at stage 1 and 2 to be in with a chance of applying. There's quote a lot of forms and documentation you have to provide but I honestly don't think it's that hard to go.
- It's smaller so you have better opportunity to make friends.
- We have many events held at bliss nightclub, people on the Canterbury campus are always here because of that.
- Smaller classes can better your learning.
- Liberty is cheaper than the ensuite accomodation at cants.
- Canterbury is a free 45minite journey away for all Medway students, so you don't have to miss out on the events at Canterbury.
- Bluewater shopping centre is like a Westfield and is only a 20min drive or a 40min bus ride
- Takes an hour to get to London from Gillingham station
- There's a huge asda that is less than a 5 minute walk from Liberty.
- dominoes are always doing student deals on large pizzas, which is always a plus.
- Chatham and Gillingham aren't great I know, but they have all your essential shops and food places, and banks. What more do you need?

It's a smaller campus that means there is absolutely nothing going on ever meaning no societies, no events and no student nights.

It is cheaper than some accommodation, more expensive than Parkwood and Darwin though... And it's cheap because it's awful. Flats get broken in to... There are fights all the time.... **** staff. Only two security guards for the entire place.

If you want a night out in Canterbury you have to get the hour long (not 45 minutes) bus journey to Canterbury (if it even turns up on time or at all)but make sure you get the 12pm bus back to Medway because that's the last bus. They are once every two hours after 8pm.

Bluewater is ok i suppose....

Being close to London is also convenient, but it's only about 2 hours from Canterbury.

Likewise ASDA is good but there's an ASDA in Canterbury too

You're not taken seriously as a Kent student if you're from Medway, we're a black spot on Kent's image; they like to pretend we don't exist.

Overall I just don't see why anyone would apply to Medway, I wouldn't have done had I known what it would be like. I'd really recommend you apply to the pure criminology course at Canterbury. Or maybe criminology with sociology? Or Criminology with cultural studies? The only perk to Medway could be that you'd get first hand experience of Crime, which for your Criminology degree could be useful....
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by eattherich
It's a smaller campus that means there is absolutely nothing going on ever meaning no societies, no events and no student nights.

There are always events and student nights, there's one tomorrow :laugh: and there was a day trip to Brighton on th Easter weekend courtesy of Medway activities. We do have societies too, there were loads to join in freshers week.
It is cheaper than some accommodation, more expensive than Parkwood and Darwin though... And it's cheap because it's awful. Flats get broken in to... There are fights all the time.... **** staff. Only two security guards for the entire place.

Liberty isn't cheap at all, you think £5k is cheap?
Flats were broken into yes, but that happens in other student accomodation too, it isn't exclusive to Medway. They've put bolts on all doors now so no one can break in.
I have never seen a fight break out so your statement about 'fights happen all the time' is false.

If you want a night out in Canterbury you have to get the hour long (not 45 minutes) bus journey to Canterbury (if it even turns up on time or at all)but make sure you get the 12pm bus back to Medway because that's the last bus. They are once every two hours after 8pm.

It always turns up on time. If it does happen to be delayed (which is extremely rare) they'll either send an email or address it on the university webpage

Bluewater is ok i suppose....

More than OK

Being close to London is also convenient, but it's only about 2 hours from Canterbury.

Likewise ASDA is good but there's an ASDA in Canterbury too

Is the asda less than 5 minutes walking distance?

You're not taken seriously as a Kent student if you're from Medway, we're a black spot on Kent's image; they like to pretend we don't exist.
I don't need to be taken seriously. We're all Kent students, we'll graduate from the uni of Kent so idc how I'm viewed.

Overall I just don't see why anyone would apply to Medway, I wouldn't have done had I known what it would be like. I'd really recommend you apply to the pure criminology course at Canterbury. Or maybe criminology with sociology? Or Criminology with cultural studies? The only perk to Medway could be that you'd get first hand experience of Crime, which for your Criminology degree could be useful....

I preferred the modules on my criminology course thank you. Yes they are all criminology degrees, but the modules vary significantly. Why would I choose something that I know I will struggle with/wouldn't enjoy?
Never seen any crime here either, that's just a myth.
There are always events and student nights, there's one tomorrow :laugh: and there was a day trip to Brighton on th Easter weekend courtesy of Medway activities. We do have societies too, there were loads to join in freshers week.

There are about 10 people that go to those Coopers events... The GK union societies are an absolute joke. So few members, nothing really goes on with them and the University of Kent ignores them. All the real societies are at Canterbury.

Liberty isn't cheap at all, you think £5k is cheap?
Flats were broken into yes, but that happens in other student accomodation too, it isn't exclusive to Medway. They've put bolts on all doors now so no one can break in.
I have never seen a fight break out so your statement about 'fights happen all the time' is false.

Liberty is way too expensive that's my point. £137 a week is crazy for Gillingham. I have never heard of any other student halls having a regular problem with break ins ever. Just because you've never personally seen a fight happen doesn't mean that they don't occur. I've seen at least a dozen; about 4 or 5 in cargo and others in liberty quays, including one without about six guys against an old man with his walking stick and his son.

It always turns up on time. If it does happen to be delayed (which is extremely rare) they'll either send an email or address it on the university webpage

It simply does not turn up on time. I don't know what fantasy world you're living on, do you even use it? It's regularly about 10-15 minutes late. I have never ONCE received an email about the shuttle bus being delayed despite using it extremely regularly.

More than OK

It's a shopping centre... It's nice but I don't think it really affects your uni experience that much. Besides, Canterbury students have the high street which has loads of things

Is the asda less than 5 minutes walking distance?

They can deliver there, or tesco also do home deliveries to the campus.

I don't need to be taken seriously. We're all Kent students, we'll graduate from the uni of Kent so idc how I'm viewed.

Personally I'd like to be taken seriously as I'm sure most students would. And while once we've graduated we will be viewed as the same, our time here is laughable compared to what it could be on the Canterbury Campus. We don't even graduate in the same place of most Kent students. They graduate in Canterbury Cathedral, we graduate in Rochester Cathedral.

I preferred the modules on my criminology course thank you. Yes they are all criminology degrees, but the modules vary significantly. Why would I choose something that I know I will struggle with/wouldn't enjoy?
Never seen any crime here either, that's just a myth.

I was actually addressing this to the other user as they have not yet started this course. I'm genuinely glad that you like it here but I really can not recommend it to anyone else. The amount of crime here is ridiculous, Look at these links if you want evidence. It's the most crime ridden street in Medway according to Maidstone Medway News. The police are here at least once a week.

http://www.maidstoneandmedwaynews.co.uk/20-crime-ridden-streets-Medway-far-2016/story-28998430-detail/story.html

http://www.crime-statistics.co.uk/postcode/ME7%201EA

https://www.police.uk/kent/368390/crime/

https://www.streetcheck.co.uk/crime/me71fr - 3 reported sexual offences in Liberty Quays in January alone!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 88
Yeah but my seminar leader for law said that's all rubbish, she said that if you want to be a lawyer, all you have to do is make sure you choose all the law modules so that you have a background in it and then to do a conversion course. I definitely don't want to be a lawyer though lol, too confusing for me.
Yeah, sounds like criminology would be perfect for you then.
I'm really interested in a year abroad, I'm hoping to do one, or perhaps a term because a year abroad is pretty expensive. I don't know for your other choice of uni but for Kent, you just need to do well at stage 1 and 2 to be in with a chance of applying. There's quote a lot of forms and documentation you have to provide but I honestly don't think it's that hard to go.

Thanks for all your messages!
I think it's the same at every university, the point is to have good grades and have some cash.
And my primary choice would be Leicester.
Original post by eattherich
There are about 10 people that go to those Coopers events... The GK union societies are an absolute joke. So few members, nothing really goes on with them and the University of Kent ignores them. All the real societies are at Canterbury.

It's not only coopers that offer events and nights out.
I could really care less for societies but I know that some meetings are held in Canterbury. You make it seem as though we can never step foot in Canterbury, when we're just as entitled to the facilities on the Canterbury campus.

Liberty is way too expensive that's my point. £137 a week is crazy for Gillingham. I have never heard of any other student halls having a regular problem with break ins ever. Just because you've never personally seen a fight happen doesn't mean that they don't occur. I've seen at least a dozen; about 4 or 5 in cargo and others in liberty quays, including one without about six guys against an old man with his walking stick and his son.

You just said it's cheap and now suddenly it's expensive. The student accomodation at Liberty is not compulsory, so you are free to find cheaper accomodation if you want to.
If fights happened 'all the time' then I would've seen at least one. I haven't seen any.

More than OK

It's a shopping centre... It's nice but I don't think it really affects your uni experience that much. Besides, Canterbury students have the high street which has loads of things

There's a lot of things that you've mentioned which won't really affect your uni experience either.

They can deliver there, or tesco also do home deliveries to the campus.

Deliveries to student accomodation can sometimes be a bit of a pain, not to mention when they don't have the things you want and they give you alternatives instead

Personally I'd like to be taken seriously as I'm sure most students would. And while once we've graduated we will be viewed as the same, our time here is laughable compared to what it could be on the Canterbury Campus. We don't even graduate in the same place of most Kent students. They graduate in Canterbury Cathedral, we graduate in Rochester Cathedral.

Who cares? You'll be at the cathedral for about 2 hours of your life and you will receive the same certificate as those in cants. These things you complain about are non issues..'hey come to the Canterbury campus so that you can graduate at the Canterbury cathedral'

I was actually addressing this to the other user as they have not yet started this course. I'm genuinely glad that you like it here but I really can not recommend it to anyone else. The amount of crime here is ridiculous, Look at these links if you want evidence. It's the most crime ridden street in Medway according to Maidstone Medway News. The police are here at least once a week.

http://www.maidstoneandmedwaynews.co.uk/20-crime-ridden-streets-Medway-far-2016/story-28998430-detail/story.html

http://www.crime-statistics.co.uk/postcode/ME7%201EA

https://www.police.uk/kent/368390/crime/

https://www.streetcheck.co.uk/crime/me71fr - 3 reported sexual offences in Liberty Quays in January alone!

I just don't like that you are painting such a terrible picture of Medway just because you're not having the best time. There are people from every uni who unfortunately will not enjoy their time, like I said, its not just exclusive to Medway.
Anyone can find links of crime in any area. A quick Google search:

Murder in Canterbury: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/man-charged-murder-after-canterbury-altercation-left-two-dead-a6962936.html
Canterbury stabbing:
http://www.kentonline.co.uk/canterbury/news/teenager-fights-for-life-after-38766/
Canterbury campus was a crime hot spot in 2013:
http://www.kentonline.co.uk/canterbury/news/students-warned-after-100k-thieving-6299/
Burgulary at a Canterbury student house:
http://www.kentonline.co.uk/canterbury/news/student-house-burglar-jailed-39912/
A criminology student vandalises vehicle:
http://m.courier.co.uk/Crime-student-guilty-damaging-vehicle/story-14399268-detail/story.html

Are you a first year student?
Iv been to medway in the past. if you do stay there, my friends that had places there recommend staying at st mary's island or at the towers in dockside as its cheaper than liberty quays apparently (they graduated a few years ago so no idea about now)
Hey, I've been studying here for a year now. The night life isn't great and I was lucky to have been able to stay with my parents. However, one thing that I did take away with me was the great "hangover service" lol. After a long night partying there's nothing better than a really cheap fry up from one of the many local cafes or there is a really good local company that I found. Shebakes is a really cool business, that provides baked goods from cookies to pancakes to whole cakes and even milkshakes at your request and delivers them to your door. What else is really good, she gives discounts to the uni students. Her social media presence isn't all that great yet, she has just opened an instagram accout and a twitter. But I would really recommed. Hmu if you want her info or any other general info about the course i study, social events etc xx
Original post by Chloe1235
Hey, I've been studying here for a year now. The night life isn't great and I was lucky to have been able to stay with my parents. However, one thing that I did take away with me was the great "hangover service" lol. After a long night partying there's nothing better than a really cheap fry up from one of the many local cafes or there is a really good local company that I found. Shebakes is a really cool business, that provides baked goods from cookies to pancakes to whole cakes and even milkshakes at your request and delivers them to your door. What else is really good, she gives discounts to the uni students. Her social media presence isn't all that great yet, she has just opened an instagram accout and a twitter. But I would really recommed. Hmu if you want her info or any other general info about the course i study, social events etc xx

Hey, what course do you study? I'm not much of a clubbing type person so I think I would be okay, but is the social aspect in terms of making friends and ''squads'' easy? I didn't apply to Kent, but I want to try and get through clearing because I don't think I will be able to get into my firm or my insurance.
Hi everyone! I'm doing an IT foundation course with the University of Kent starting September, but the first two years are at MidKent College's Maidstone campus. I'm moving from Derbyshire.

My question is, do you recommend I stay in Maidstone or somewhere in the Medway area (Gillingham/Chatham/Rochester)? I've read about Medway's bad rep, and I know it's like an hour train journey away from Maidstone. But Maidstone itself has very little in terms of student accommodation.

So, my options seem to be either private student accommodation in Medway (should I use rightmove or studenttenant.com?) or a house share or my own flat in Maidstone (though options are VERY limited). If I stay in Medway I'm gonna get monthly train tickets from Southeastern Railway.

Thanks to anyone who can help. I accepted my place back in March and had hoped to have accommodation sorted by now, so I'm panicking a bit.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Sad3k
Ended up through clearing and it was the only place that had similar courses for me.

same here for me as well! this is the ONLY good uni for my course left in clearing but reading all the reviews, it doesn't sounds good at all
i really dont know what to do now
Same for me too, all of the other unis were full
What course are you doing
Original post by qwertyuiojhgfd
Same for me too, all of the other unis were full
What course are you doing

I am looking for business management with marketing courses. I was really looking forward to going to university of surrey but rejected me. I dont know what to do now
I know how you feel, I got rejected by UCL for pharmacy and Medway was the only uni that had spaces in clearing :frown:
Reply 98
Original post by julistha
I am looking for business management with marketing courses. I was really looking forward to going to university of surrey but rejected me. I dont know what to do now

Original post by qwertyuiojhgfd
I know how you feel, I got rejected by UCL for pharmacy and Medway was the only uni that had spaces in clearing :frown:

This is exactly my situation too! I can't believe this has happened and i'm devastated, to say the least, that i'm not going to my firm and instead going to Kent... MedwayI don't know whether to retake the year because i'm not happy with this decision and don't want to spend £9000 a year to go a uni i'm not interested in or stay and stick it out or whatWhat are you guys doing and how are you feeling now?
Reply 99
Just retake.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending