Hertfordshire social life Watch

francistheswole
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
i'm stuck between nottingham trent and hertfordshire, i haven't been to both uni's yet but i plan on going. i know that herfordshire is more modern and reallyhas beautiful campuses. but i heard Hatfield is a really **** area, but that being said central london is on 20mins away(do people actually go into central london? because i would probably want to go often)
LadyRowena
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I live about 20 minutes away from Hatfield and my mother works at the university; there really isn't very much to do in Hatfield. Having said that, the on-campus social life is meant to be very good, particularly on the College Lane campus.

A lot of students there are from Hertfordshire or North London and either live at home or go home at the weekends, though. If you really like Hertfordshire then by all means put it down but I would imagine that the nightlife at Nottingham Trent would be significantly better.
francistheswole
Rep:
?
(Original post by LadyRowena)
I live about 20 minutes away from Hatfield and my mother works at the university; there really isn't very much to do in Hatfield. Having said that, the on-campus social life is meant to be very good, particularly on the College Lane campus.

A lot of students there are from Hertfordshire or North London and either live at home or go home at the weekends, though. If you really like Hertfordshire then by all means put it down but I would imagine that the nightlife at Nottingham Trent would be significantly better.
thanks for the reply

hertfordshire would have been the perfect uni if it was in a better area :[

i still may consider it though
confuchaz
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
you got watford, stevenage and luton and nearby, but not close enough to easily get there. st.albans is nearby but isn't big enough to keep you excited for 3 years of university tbh..
francistheswole
Rep:
?
(Original post by confuchaz)
you got watford, stevenage and luton and nearby, but not close enough to easily get there. st.albans is nearby but isn't big enough to keep you excited for 3 years of university tbh..
lol sounds depressing. being picky gets on my nerves.

hertfordshire - good campus, good academically, bad night life/boring area
Nottingham trent- good campus, good academically, good night life, but very far away
kingston - **** campus(penrhyn road), good academically, good night life, close to london

i really can't decide
GBateman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Speaking of Hertfordshire)

The way I've approached this issue is thus;

Fresher's week: everybody will be getting pissed and getting to know each other
Two weeks after that: everybody will be recovering from 'freshers flu'
After that: You start your course and probably won't be going out every night like in freshers week

If / when you do want to go out, there's quite a few places on campus or you can buy beer and drink in the halls.
LadyRowena
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I would reccommend you visit them all and see which one works best for you. You tend to find that even in less exciting areas students tend to make their own fun.
GBateman
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I would reccommend you visit them all and see which one works best for you. You tend to find that even in less exciting areas students tend to make their own fun.
That reminds me of the time last year when the internet in our house got cut off for two weeks - we actually gathered together in the living room and spoke and had fun and bonded. However, as soon as the internet was restored we all returned to our caves and never spoke again.
cellophane11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I go to Hatfield. I love it here, but it's more to do with the people I'm friends with rather than the area.
My friend goes to Nottingham Trent and I've been there a few times... I would rather go there if I was choosing unis on the night life and places to go.
francistheswole
Rep:
?
thanks guys

this forum is very helpful
francistheswole
Rep:
?
(Original post by cellophane11)
I go to Hatfield. I love it here, but it's more to do with the people I'm friends with rather than the area.
My friend goes to Nottingham Trent and I've been there a few times... I would rather go there if I was choosing unis on the night life and places to go.
thats exactly how i'm feeling now, being 18 and not being allowed to go out to clubs 3/4 of the time really takes its toll. and everyone tells me that nottingham trent really is the place to be for night life.
ilovedubstep
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by francistheswole)
lol sounds depressing. being picky gets on my nerves.

hertfordshire - good campus, good academically, bad night life/boring area
Nottingham trent- good campus, good academically, good night life, but very far away
kingston - **** campus(penrhyn road), good academically, good night life, close to london

i really can't decide
It seems like you want to go to nottingham. Just go for it, it isn't that far away from hertfordshire!
francistheswole
Rep:
?
yup, i plan on visiting every uni open day before making assumptions.

but i find myself looking at videos, reviews, forums on each of these uni's everyday. it's so exciting lol and addictive
francistheswole
Rep:
?
(Original post by ilovedubstep)
It seems like you want to go to nottingham. Just go for it, it isn't that far away from hertfordshire!
yeah to be honest my heart is really set on notts

but i'm trying to convert it lol

still need to go to the open day though
sebbytotherescue
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Central London and all the best nightlife is only 25 minutes away on the train! It's not that much of a mission
steventhfc
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by sebbytotherescue)
Central London and all the best nightlife is only 25 minutes away on the train! It's not that much of a mission
It is when you can't get back until the first train at 5:45 AM.

I'd go for Nottingham, I've been here two years, going to be honest with you, the nightlife is ****.
confuchaz
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
you can get into central london in like 20/25 minutes on the train if you're lucky, but the problem is cabs back when its really late. a cab from london to hertfordshire will cost a fair bit. :/

but i've heard from some at trent that theres some proper dodgy areas, knife, gun crime, rape, muggings, etc, depending on the kinda person you are, you might wanna avoid that. personally city life appeals to me, i don't care, but others might not be into anything like that..
steventhfc
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Someone got stabbed on our campus today, you'll have crime everwhere.
confuchaz
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by steventhfc)
yeah i guess its all relative isn't it though. i didn't hear about that though, sounds bad..
GBateman
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by steventhfc)
Was it by somebody at the university?

Also, how is the person?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All subjects Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Jun '19
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 12 Oct '19
    All Subjects Postgraduate
    Wed, 6 Nov '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (515)
37.56%
No - but I will (107)
7.8%
No - I don't want to (93)
6.78%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (656)
47.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed