The Student Room Group

In Year 12, totally hate sixth form, but want to go to uni!

I cannot explain to you how much i hate sixth form. I have written it in a previous thread and i don't have the energy to go into detail. I only like 1 subject and that's geography, which is what i will study at uni, if i can last 'til the end of sixth form that is. Mum keeps telling me to leave and get a job but uni is the one thing in my life i am certain i want to do. How can i make sixth form more bearable? Btw it's the people, lack of things to do and unenthusiastic teachers that bug me the most.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
SiAnY
I cannot explain to you how much i hate sixth form. I have written it in a previous thread and i don't have the energy to go into detail. I only like 1 subject and that's geography, which is what i will study at uni, if i can last 'til the end of sixth form that is. Mum keeps telling me to leave and get a job but uni is the one thing in my life i am certain i want to do. How can i make sixth form more bearable? Btw it's the people, lack of things to do and unenthusiastic teachers that bug me the most.

read around the subjects you have taken?
Reply 2
What other subjects are you doing? It's not too late to change, my mate changed everything but geography in February of Yr 12, it took her a while to catch up and her AS results were less than she was capable of but that was only because she missed the Jan modules for her new subjects. She has now been accepted by everywhere she applied for uni & is on track to get great grades. Try speaking to your head of year, they will try & put you off changing course but explain that its better than dropping out altogether. I enjoy my subjects but there is no hiding the fact I cannot wait until uni, I think most people find through out the sixth form that the only reason they are still there is because they want to go to uni, you reach a point where you just out grow school! It happened to me just before my GCSEs, I know how hard it can be but keep your head down & work hard & you'll be finishing before you know it, it scares me how fast the past 2 years have gone! If you focus on your goals, uni, it helps keep it together!
Having a lack of things to do is never good! Again, speak to a teacher giving suggestions, I'm sure they'd be happy to help you get things going! As for unethusiastic teachers, ignore them! I'm always getting told off for poor attendance but consistently get better grades than those that attend more than me, I work hard on my own, its great preparation for uni and you can focus on what you enjoy, not what the teacher thinks you should enjoy!
Reply 3
Katie J
What other subjects are you doing? It's not too late to change, my mate changed everything but geography in February of Yr 12, it took her a while to catch up and her AS results were less than she was capable of but that was only because she missed the Jan modules for her new subjects. She has now been accepted by everywhere she applied for uni & is on track to get great grades. Try speaking to your head of year, they will try & put you off changing course but explain that its better than dropping out altogether. I enjoy my subjects but there is no hiding the fact I cannot wait until uni, I think most people find through out the sixth form that the only reason they are still there is because they want to go to uni, you reach a point where you just out grow school! It happened to me just before my GCSEs, I know how hard it can be but keep your head down & work hard & you'll be finishing before you know it, it scares me how fast the past 2 years have gone! If you focus on your goals, uni, it helps keep it together!
Having a lack of things to do is never good! Again, speak to a teacher giving suggestions, I'm sure they'd be happy to help you get things going! As for unethusiastic teachers, ignore them! I'm always getting told off for poor attendance but consistently get better grades than those that attend more than me, I work hard on my own, its great preparation for uni and you can focus on what you enjoy, not what the teacher thinks you should enjoy!

Aww thanks Katie, that's load of really helpful advice *mwah* lol. As for changing subjects, i wouldn't be allowed and there's nothing else i want to do anyway :/ . Guess i'll just have to stick it out even though i hate getting up every day.
Reply 4
Hiya have you thought about perhaps doing A2 in a different college?

I left school in 1999, then I went to college to a BTEC National Diploma in IT and I hated it completly. Somthing just wasn't right. I stook with it till december until one day in a lecture I just walked out to to the toliet and never bothered going back. At the time what I did was quite shocking to the family as I had no job or anything. Anyway I tried getting jobs but found with the lack of an education I couldn't.

In the end I went to a different college in September 2000 and met a few good freinds there. Even though I am now a year behind at uni I don't regret leaving for one minute. I am not suggesting you should leave but perhaps if you can do A2 some where else in September it may worth while.

What is it you don't like about year 12? What I didn't like about my first college was mainly personal reasons as it was quite not the fresh start I had hoped for.
Reply 5
It's no problem! I can assure you that you are not alone when it comes to hating school, but its worth it if you are serious about your goals! I found it even harder not studying the same subject as I wanted to at uni, you can't help but think what's the point?! After a while you tend to look at everything from the point of view of your favourite subject, I now look at everything from an archaeological point of view, its bugs the hell out my teachers but again helps you keep things in perspective & your goals in hand! You've only a year or so to go & it really will fly by! Starting the UCAS process is also really encouraging!
Whatever you do, don't drop out of sixthform, i think like corey suggested read around your subjects - that's something to do, also since you're in year 12 you should be able to apply to lots of university summer skools, there are many opportunities, and they're great fun. Last year i spent a week in ucl, with brill proffessors and lectures, as well as being taken to see les miserable at the palace theatre and attending pub quizes etc...the good thing about the summer skool is you get time off skool and you're allowed that time off, as it'll enhance ur personal statement.
Reply 7
Katie J
It's no problem! I can assure you that you are not alone when it comes to hating school, but its worth it if you are serious about your goals! I found it even harder not studying the same subject as I wanted to at uni, you can't help but think what's the point?! After a while you tend to look at everything from the point of view of your favourite subject, I now look at everything from an archaeological point of view, its bugs the hell out my teachers but again helps you keep things in perspective & your goals in hand! You've only a year or so to go & it really will fly by! Starting the UCAS process is also really encouraging!

When will i start the UCAS process?
I know exactly how you feel as I was in the same position as you last year - I hated 6th form due to all the other students just wanting to doss, the teachers were rubbish and usually didn't turn up etc.

I finsihed my AS Levels and then left. I hoped to do my A2s at another college but couldn't match up the exam boards, so I am now doing 3 different AS subjects (didn't the like ones I was doing before anyway) and A2 Psychology.

Part of me wishes I'd stuck 6th form out for one more year so that I could be getting on with uni this year. However, when I think of how much I hated it, I feel relieved that I left. So my feelings are mixed!

I don't really mind being a year behind but it does sometimes get me down.

I actually ended up doing really well in my AS Levels from school, which shows that you CAN get through those courses if you put the work in, despite the teachers being rubbish. At least you've still those AS Levels if you do decide to leave this year, to go towards getting into uni.
Reply 9
UCAS applications for the present yr12 start September 1st 2004. But theres nothing stopping you from looking at unis, prospecti (?), courses and going to open days! If you're really keen have a go at drafting your personal statement & finding experience related to the courses you like! If it's still geog you like speak to your teacher & ask for any advice to boost your applications. They're always getting sent information about events etc its worth taking the time to follow a few up. If you're lucky they might even suggest part time work/or voluntary work (in or out of school) related to geography. At the end of year 12 I went on a conference on Sustainable Development (organised through geog teacher) , that kind of thing is great fun & really valuable when it comes to UCAS forms & interviews.
Katie J
UCAS applications for the present yr12 start September 1st 2004. But theres nothing stopping you from looking at unis, prospecti (?), courses and going to open days! If you're really keen have a go at drafting your personal statement & finding experience related to the courses you like! If it's still geog you like speak to your teacher & ask for any advice to boost your applications. They're always getting sent information about events etc its worth taking the time to follow a few up. If you're lucky they might even suggest part time work/or voluntary work (in or out of school) related to geography. At the end of year 12 I went on a conference on Sustainable Development (organised through geog teacher) , that kind of thing is great fun & really valuable when it comes to UCAS forms & interviews.

Aww thanks Katie, all your advice has been great. I've already done a lot of looking at prospecti etc :smile: xxx
Reply 11
I just hope its of some use! I just know how much it sucks being stuck in something you hate just to get to something you love, I don't claim everything I say is right, far from it, but having been there helps I guess. Let us know how you get on/improvements etc?
Reply 12
I actually find sixth form more enjoyable than previous years, but thats probably 'cause I have more frees! hehe.. I REALLY REALLY REALLY hated going to school in year 10&11, but some things u just gotta do! I mean..if u want to go to uni, just think, it'll make a difference to your whole life, so in the whole big scheme of things, going through with 2 years of misery might pay off! just try and stick it out, and then ull be superrrrr happy when its the last day and u might explode out of happiness!
Dill
I actually find sixth form more enjoyable than previous years, but thats probably 'cause I have more frees! hehe.. I REALLY REALLY REALLY hated going to school in year 10&11, but some things u just gotta do! I mean..if u want to go to uni, just think, it'll make a difference to your whole life, so in the whole big scheme of things, going through with 2 years of misery might pay off! just try and stick it out, and then ull be superrrrr happy when its the last day and u might explode out of happiness!

yes i am sure i will literally explode...lol...that would be a sight n a half :biggrin:
Reply 14
hey!all the advice i can really give is to hang in there!im in exactly the same position,i really really hate U6th and some of the people, but the way i look at it,and maybe you could to, is that it wont be long until your out and you can head off to uni!!

its just a matter of grinning and bearing it!no matter how bad things get, you gotta look at the positive side and all the things you have going for you!!its great that you have such motivation to go to uni, just keep in there and you'l be fine!

maybe you could take up a hobbie?its also very helpful to talk to someone in person. love ruth.
Reply 15
SiAnY

OMG i have the same exact problem!!!
all my friends left last year and are now all happydoing apperntiships snd normal jobs they also have a social life :frown:
but i also chose to get 2 uni i just have to bite my teeth and bare wth it
ALL U HAVE TO REMEMBER IS WHEN YOU FINISH UNI U WILL BE THE ONE JETTING AROUND THE WORLD HAVING A COMFORTABLE LIFE WHILE THEY ARE STRUGGLING TO MAKE ENDS MEET WITH THE RENT IN A COUNSIL ESTATE.
THINK OF THE REWARD :biggrin: KEEP UR HEAD UP AND THINK POSITIVE
Samara
OMG i have the same exact problem!!!
all my friends left last year and are now all happydoing apperntiships snd normal jobs they also have a social life :frown:
but i also chose to get 2 uni i just have to bite my teeth and bare wth it
ALL U HAVE TO REMEMBER IS WHEN YOU FINISH UNI U WILL BE THE ONE JETTING AROUND THE WORLD HAVING A COMFORTABLE LIFE WHILE THEY ARE STRUGGLING TO MAKE ENDS MEET WITH THE RENT IN A COUNSIL ESTATE.
THINK OF THE REWARD :biggrin: KEEP UR HEAD UP AND THINK POSITIVE

Woah, you just dragged my post up from the dead :biggrin: . I wrote that in January! I still hate sixth form but now i've realised just how quick the time goes by so i'll be out of there in no time! Yay!
Reply 17
You could do an NVQ,GNVQ advanced, VCE or other vocational qualifications along with your geography course instead of doing other A-level subjects.
I'm kinda in the same boat. I'm very anxious about most social situations for some reason. I can't remember if its always been like that, but it seems so. I haven't had a full week in college for a long time and haven't been in for about 2-3 weeks. I've just let my teachers down and classmates who think I'm so great but actually I'm shattered and I can't tell anyone why. My exams are wrong, but I've not sorted them. If I go in tomorrow, can I sort it or should I just quit now? My grades fell badly too...I didn't apply to Uni as I wasn't in when it was done and was too scared to go and ask for a form.
Reply 19
You shouldn't be scared to ask for a form. By the way, it's not too late as you can go through clearing or you can apply next year instead.

Latest

Trending

Trending