Modern language offers without interview? Watch

yabbayabba
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I've applied for English and French and I have an interview with the English department, but I've heard nothing from the French department.

Are the modern language department doing many interviews this year? Has anyone been given an offer without an interview? Has anyone had a straight rejection?

Thanks a lot
EcstaticMuse
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
They're definitely doing interviews, but I got an offer without doing an interview, not sure how rare/often that occurs, but I do have an an obscure subject choice with a joint honours so I wonder if it was purely out of convenience that they did that.
Meg_Lili
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If you've applied for Joint honours they'll probably do everything through the same interview/open day rather than doing 2 separate ones, usually through whichever would be your home dept but sometimes with someone from the other dept present at the interview.

Modern langs at least like to interview people before giving an offer, as long as it's practical (i.e. you're a home student/International who can get to London without too much difficulty).
Mujeriego
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I received an offer without an interview. I was under impression that fewer interviews were being given out across the board this cycle because they are expensive and time consuming to run. Some depts at UCL only interview applicants they are unsure about.
yabbayabba
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by Meg_Lili)
If you've applied for Joint honours they'll probably do everything through the same interview/open day rather than doing 2 separate ones, usually through whichever would be your home dept but sometimes with someone from the other dept present at the interview.

Modern langs at least like to interview people before giving an offer, as long as it's practical (i.e. you're a home student/International who can get to London without too much difficulty).
Ok, so it's not likely I'll be asked to come to another interview on a different day for French?

(Original post by Mujeriego)
I received an offer without an interview. I was under impression that fewer interviews were being given out across the board this cycle because they are expensive and time consuming to run. Some depts at UCL only interview applicants they are unsure about.
Was this for French? I did hear about there apparently being fewer UCL interviews this year in some departments due to the cost/time.
Meg_Lili
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by yabbayabba)
Ok, so it's not likely I'll be asked to come to another interview on a different day for French?
I can't see them asking you to come twice. Unless you've already been told who your interviewer will be, I'd be prepared for the possibility you'll have someone from each department at the interview.
Mujeriego
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by yabbayabba)
Was this for French? I did hear about there apparently being fewer UCL interviews this year in some departments due to the cost/time.
Yeah. It was French but for the single honours programme. A friend of mine applied for joint honours German and Russian at UCL and at his interview, he had members of both departments present. It is unlikely that you will be invited back for an additional interview. That's more Oxbridge than UCL.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
    Sat, 29 Jun '19
    Sat, 7 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (551)
37.84%
No - but I will (114)
7.83%
No - I don't want to (102)
7.01%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (689)
47.32%

Watched Threads