block website help Watch

jonny
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=766316

I tried to block facebook and yahoo using this method but it won't let me do it saying something about making sure the path and file name are incorrect.

Can someone help me? I am rubbish with computers. I only want to block my computer from these websites and not anyone else using the same internet connection (like my sisters computer)
Illusionary
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Could you let us know which post in particular describes the method that you're trying to use, and exactly what error message you're getting and when.
jonny
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by Illusionary)
Could you let us know which post in particular describes the method that you're trying to use, and exactly what error message you're getting and when.
the one by noudai on that thread about opening up notepad and typing in the ip address.

I copy and the paste the thing that he told me too - "209.85.171.100 facebook.com 209.85.171.100 www.facebook.com" - on the file.

Then when i go to save it, it says "Cannot create the C:/Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hos ts file. Make sure that the path and file name are correct"

Thanks for your time
Illusionary
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jonny)
the one by noudai on that thread about opening up notepad and typing in the ip address.

I copy and the paste the thing that he told me too - "209.85.171.100 facebook.com 209.85.171.100 www.facebook.com" - on the file.

Then when i go to save it, it says "Cannot create the C:/Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hos ts file. Make sure that the path and file name are correct"

Thanks for your time
Depending on your operating system, access to that folder may be restricted so that you'll need 'administrator permissions' to save anything there (I'm guessing that you have Windows Vista/7?). Assuming that you have an administrator account (which most likely you will do if you're the only one using the computer), then find Notepad from Start -> All Programs -> Accessories, then right click on it and choose "Run as administrator". Now find and edit the file using that window and it should work.
ch0llima
Badges: 14
Report 8 years ago
Yeah, the HOSTS file lives inside system32 so admin privileges are required to edit it. Make sure also that you flush your DNS cache and restart all your browsers after saving the file.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (552)
37.81%
No - but I will (115)
7.88%
No - I don't want to (102)
6.99%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (691)
47.33%

Watched Threads