Should Top Gear Presenters be sacked for comments about Mexico? Watch

ralphieinker90
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I personally wouldn't but I think that it's hypocritical of them not to. I can see the funny side, and I know he's not racist and was just saying that stuff as a joke, but would people find it as funny if he'd had a rant about Jews or Black people. Why should we pick and chose what is offensive, surely if there is an attack on any race or nationality, no matter what colour or creed they are, it should be offensive, or should all be taken as a joke. I personally believe if that was an african nation he'd insulted, he'd have been sacked straight away, and there would have been a massive uproar. But because it's Mexican's its just brushed under the carpet. It's institutionalized racism. Like the way people make fun of gypsies and travellers. It's just completely overlooked. However, if someone went on TV and said something even slightly anti-semetic, they'd quite rightly be sacked. So why aren't you sacked for insulting gypsies. TV broadcasters shouldn't be able to pick and chose what is racist and what isn't. If something offensive is said about a specific ethnic group or race, it is racist, regardless of the victim.
S-man10
Badges: 18
Report 8 years ago
Clarkson is god ffs. :adore:

A peach bounced on my car recently. :mmm:

Seriously, t'was a joke. Learn some sarcasm and get a grip ffs.
Hedger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
People need to get a ****ing grip. That's what I think.
Broderss
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
No.
DrDixie
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Jews and blacks aren't the same as Mexicans. They are residents of a country.
Well you can say whatever you like about the French....
They were encouraging the kind of people who complain deliberately - shown by the fact the jokes keep recurring each episode.
I say no - the show is awesome.
gozatron
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If i was Clarkson i wouldn't worry, the mexicans only angry now, they'll get bored and go backing to sleep under their sambreros soon enough.
Fight-or-Flight
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
sacked is a bit too extreme. But they just need to be more careful with what they say. Like how Clarkson commented about Gordon Brown. It's easy to make people laugh by hurting someone. They should seriously reconsider their jokes. But you can't deny that they make such an amusing programme which gets a lot of viewers because of the 3 presenters.
Mad Vlad
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
No they bloody well shouldn't. It's a joke. When they make funny comments about gay people and "gay cars", do you think I'm there with Ofcom on speed-dial? No. I laugh at it, because it's funny. The bloody Mexicans should learn to recognise that the British sense of humour is different to theirs and not take offence.
LaughingBro
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
He should be sacked for being racist to Chinese people.
Abbadon27
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
No, it was one of the few times Top Gear has made me laugh recently.
Seasick Steve
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
What is the world coming to if you can't even say a couple of light-hearted jokes without losing your job?
member520746
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
They should be sacked for being ********s generally.
flubadiblam
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by S-man10)
Clarkson is god ffs. :adore:

A peach bounced on my car recently. :mmm:

Seriously, t'was a joke. Learn some sarcasm and get a grip ffs.
Lucky! iv been the only one handling my car lately and i just realised how weird and sad i am by posting that but hey, took all that time writing it lol
Panda Vinnie
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
That **** was a complete farce. The people who were 'outraged' by those remarks must be incredibly slow...they're reacting as if that's the first time such comments have been made. These sort of jokes have been made about various nationalities since it first aired, it's nothing new. If such acts warrant a sacking, it should have been done so a long, long time ago.

Once again people blow things out of proportion. This is Top Gear, if I recall correctly, they constantly say Americans are stupid, French are peasants, Italians are lazy, Germans are Poland-invaders...and many more.

However, offend one 'developing' country and all of a sudden there's an outrage.

It's not the first time nationalities have been stereotyped on Top Gear and it certainly won't be the last. I presume the same people who are 'outraged' by the comments are the same people who often laughed at their comments about the other nationalities. It's all said in good humour, if you genuinely didn't know you'd expect that type of humour from Top Gear then you're watching the wrong show.
meenu89
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
No.
meenu89
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Hamesh)
Your a Moron.
*You're a Moron, idiot.
The Boney King of Nowhere
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
They should be sacked on the basis that they're annoying tools and because Top Gear is a steaming pile of ****, but not because of this
Abbadon27
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Hamesh)
yes they should, who watches this vile programme anyway? Thinking they are big and hard picking on Mexican peasents. Idiots
It was a joke, they didn't mean it, get over it.. They make fun of gays often, yet Clarkson is on good terms with Stephen Fry.
ralphieinker90
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Like I say, I don't feel they should be but considering the reasons some other people have been sacked on TV it seems like they're lucky to still be there. For example, when Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand got suspended for making one prank phone call. How is that worse than mocking an entire nation and stating racial stereotypes. I think it's against freedom of speech to sack them, and people need to get more of a backbone and accept some things are a joke. But how can Richard Keys and Andy Gray be sacked for sexist comments made 'off air' and Clarkson and Co not be sacked for light racism on air. Its hypocritical. Either let people have freedom of speech and if people are offended they don't watch, or have the same rules for everyone
DH-Biker
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
What did they say?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (125)
39.06%
No - but I will (17)
5.31%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.25%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (158)
49.38%

Watched Threads