Want to go into IT, whats the best way to get in? Watch

bret987
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
So ive just started A-levels and I am studying IT, Maths, Physics and Geography. im pretty certain that I want to go into the IT industry. I wouldnt mind doing something along the lines of game development or software programming but other areas such as web design also interest me.

I've looked around and it seems that a Computer Science course would be the best option for this line of work. However, I'm not overly keen on the idea of University, the main reason being the rise in fees. I will still go to uni if there are no other options I like the sound of but its not my first choice.

What other options are there for this type of work? Or is a degree kind of the only way in?

Any links to information websites or your own advice would be appreciated
Delaney
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If your main issue is the rise in fees, remember it is a tax and not a debt. You aren't going to have the debt collector knocking on your door - you only begin to repay after you're earning 21k and the repayments are minor, £10 a month isn't going to massively effect your financial stability.

The short answer is yes, CompSci is the way forward. You need a solid knowledge of the software development process as well as being fluent in at least one programming language.
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by bret987)
What other options are there for this type of work? Or is a degree kind of the only way in?

Heya mate. I've been working in IT now for the last 3 1/2 years. I had no qualifications above GCSE when I started - just some good solid home experience and some voluntary work undertaken in a shop doing helpdesk. I'm now on a graduate salary with very good career prospects. So, first of all, you don't need a degree to get in to IT.

It will be worth looking at getting some IT qualifications. This page has a list of Microsoft Certifications. The MCTS is a good place to start, though if you can find a place doing the MCDST (Windows XP support exam basically) still, that's not bad either. QA are very good for courses if the book is a little daunting. There's also Cisco stuff, ITIL and others you can look in to.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (542)
37.74%
No - but I will (112)
7.8%
No - I don't want to (98)
6.82%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (684)
47.63%

Watched Threads