The Student Room Group

Feel like I'm annoying everyone I talk to

Do many of you often get like this? I have so many things I'd like to talk about but never can and the thoughts just stay there for ages- it gets very frustrating. Firstly, I'm very shy. Actually, I don't have any friends. I used to, and I still keep trying, but no-one ever finds me interesting for more than a day or two partly because I'm very quiet and partly because no-one cares. Everyone talks to me like I'm about 12, even the people my own age but really, I'm 18. It's the same at home. No-one else in my family is quiet but even still, I'm more comfortable around them- I look forward to the weekends when my older sister gets home from uni so I can finally talk to someone, but she's always too tired now and will be too bored of me after a few sentences. I hate the way I can't have a conversation with someone without feeling like I'm annoying them or that they'd rather be elsewhere. No-one I know shares my interests but it's not like I go off on endless discussions about those things anyway- it doesn't matter what I say, no-one cares. I can't talk to anyone about the things that bother me because I'd only be burdening them- most of my 'friends' don't have a clue about my homelife etc. They just see me as the quiet girl who's sort of there but I probably don't mean anything to them, and likewise my family probably couldn't name any of my friends- if I mention them, no-one's listening anyway, they've got more important things to talk about. It's just annoying- I pay full attention to them, I help them when they need it, I listen when they're discussing the things they care about, I remember things about them. No-one ever seems to do it in return and I'm getting tired of trying. I really dislike being this lonely all the time.

Scroll to see replies

Jesus, do you ever stop taking? You are so annoying!!!!

You asked for it OP.

Oh and also, why are you telling us this? What do you want us to say? Stop being annoying! Get a hobby!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
So now you're planning to annoy TSR as well?
Reply 3
I know that sounds a little contradictory- saying I don't have any friends then mentioning friends later on- I have people to hang about with at school, and I suppose I refer to them as friends in that sense, but they're close to each other and I'm not part of that- they don't need me because they already have good friends. I'm sorry, they're nice people really and I care about them so I know that sounds like a childish description but I don't know how else to explain it.
Reply 4
Aw, that sounds horrible. :frown:

I'm a bit like that, not in the sense that no-one cares, but in the sense that I feel like I'm annoying people or making them feel really awkward like constantly...

You don't seem annoying from your post though, just annoyED. :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Do many of you often get like this? I have so many things I'd like to talk about but never can and the thoughts just stay there for ages- it gets very frustrating. Firstly, I'm very shy. Actually, I don't have any friends. I used to, and I still keep trying, but no-one ever finds me interesting for more than a day or two partly because I'm very quiet and partly because no-one cares. Everyone talks to me like I'm about 12, even the people my own age but really, I'm 18. It's the same at home. No-one else in my family is quiet but even still, I'm more comfortable around them- I look forward to the weekends when my older sister gets home from uni so I can finally talk to someone, but she's always too tired now and will be too bored of me after a few sentences. I hate the way I can't have a conversation with someone without feeling like I'm annoying them or that they'd rather be elsewhere. No-one I know shares my interests but it's not like I go off on endless discussions about those things anyway- it doesn't matter what I say, no-one cares. I can't talk to anyone about the things that bother me because I'd only be burdening them- most of my 'friends' don't have a clue about my homelife etc. They just see me as the quiet girl who's sort of there but I probably don't mean anything to them, and likewise my family probably couldn't name any of my friends- if I mention them, no-one's listening anyway, they've got more important things to talk about. It's just annoying- I pay full attention to them, I help them when they need it, I listen when they're discussing the things they care about, I remember things about them. No-one ever seems to do it in return and I'm getting tired of trying. I really dislike being this lonely all the time.

Occasionally I know how you feel, but I'm quite introverted so I don't mind too much. I often take a screw you all approach :smile: Just try and be more chatty with your friends, as difficult as it may be what's the worst that can happen? I'm sure you'll connect better with them the more you talk and you'll find more common ground, don't be afraid of being 'rude' and talking about yourself without being asked :smile:
Reply 6
Well I don't mind your ranting! *gives OP a hug
Reply 7
Original post by Lewroll

You asked for it OP.

Oh and also, why are you telling us this? What do you want us to say? Stop being annoying! Get a hobby!

Sorry. I don't know. I just felt like telling someone and I know that that's silly. I don't know how to stop being annoying- that's the problem.
You're insecure and you're a desperate for approval.
Reply 9
I know the feeling OP. Why don't you write your thoughts in a diary,online or not? And if you have interests that no one else shares,try getting involved on forums and talk to other people about them or join a club if it's that kind of an interest like sport,reading etc.
(edited 13 years ago)
Pretend to be a whore?
ARGH this is so annoying!
Sorry. I don't know. I just felt like telling someone and I know that that's silly. I don't know how to stop being annoying- that's the problem.

You aren't annoying. You are just a bit crazy. Look yourself in the mirror and say 'No!' and then everything will be better.
Reply 13
Original post by Lewroll

You asked for it OP.

'Hobbies are for people who were caught masturbating as a child' Jeremy Clarkson

I think it gets worse if you're conscious like that, because I used to get so over conscious like that and it just makes you talk less, by getting yourself to relax you make it easier for people to talk to you. I don't find you annoying though, but it's impossible to get everyone to like you. I know it's easier said then done and I've struggled with this for years but when the time comes and you can (it will come) then things will start getting better.:smile:
Reply 15
You sound like a self-fulfilling prophecy at the moment. The trick is to give less of a s***, stop caring so much about how you are perceived and just engage. Relax and assert yourself. If you think you are annoying, chances are you will be annoying. So change your mindset.
I know where you're coming from.
Reply 17
Original post by -aimz
I know the feeling OP. Why don't you write your thoughts in a diary,online or not? And if you have interests that no one else shares,try getting involved on forums and talk to other people about them or join a club if it's that kind of an interest like sport,reading etc.

I've tried the online diary thing, but it's still like I'm talking to myself and no-one else- I just write things and I'm probably the only one who reads them and in that sense, the load still won't come off my mind. It's not even free time that's the problem- I'm quite content to be alone in my spare time, but it's when I'm around others- at school and at home mainly, when everyone else is talking to each other and I try to join in but no-one notices or if they do, they don't care anyway, they'll maybe quickly reply then just carry on with whatever they were talking about before.
I have a similar problem. It's really really ****ing frustrating. If I have some space for a while and don't talk to anyone, I end up feeling really fulfilled just doing stuff alone. But then people get interested and start wanting to talk to me. They make lots of friendly advances until I get into a friendly mood and feel like talking more. Then they either decide I'm a prick or I'm boring, tell me, and then ignore me. Being called a prick makes me unhappy, angry and frustrated with life, as does being isolated again after I've been brought into a mood where I want company.

The whole experience reminds me in a very painful way that we're all pricks out to gain stuff for ourselves at the expense of others: when I don't talk and it's what I want, they ignore what I want and try to make me talk for their benefit. When I do and it's making me happier, they decide I have nothing to offer them so they just crush me without a second thought.
(edited 13 years ago)
Learn to paragraph!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending