Song Writing....?? Watch

EffDee
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
How do people do it??

I'm finding it incredibly difficulty to come up with anything decent. I play guitar and sing and I enjoy doing covers - mostly of Laura Marling, Ida Maria, Rachael Cantu sort of things- but really can't manage to write a song to save my life!

I feel like the lyrics I write are either lame or esoteric/pretentious and my chord progressions are inevitably Am C G (Always!! I cannot escape this tune!)

Does anyone have any tips? Anyone an experience song writer- how do you start it off? Go about it? Lyrics or Tune first?
EffDee
Rep:
?
Anyone --?
Bitethedust
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Playing covers in lots of different genres can be good, mainly because you get an idea of various ways chords can be used and less cliched sequences.
EffDee
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bitethedust)
Playing covers in lots of different genres can be good, mainly because you get an idea of various ways chords can be used and less cliched sequences.
Thanks

Maybe I'm limiting myself to the sort of folk-y style I mentioned...
Manitude
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If you're unfamiliar with music theory then just try random chords until you get something nice.
If you are, then try things within a certain key and see what happens.

I sometimes write a melody then fit chords around that.
metric
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I know i'm going to say the most cliché thing here but practise really does help, I've been songwriting for a few years now properly and my older stuff is TERRIBLE, i have a real problem with lyrics like you they just sound predictable and cheesy or really crap lmao. but theyve improved with time and im starting to get a real rhythm. just keep going and persevere

i found it really helped getting a notebook specially for writing lyrics and whenever something came to my head even if its just a line ill write it down in there, and its totally private.

as for the chords just play the chords that feel natural to you for a song and if these are the predictable ones then oh well, as you write more you'll go out of that safety net a bit more
johnnn
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Its a thing that takes time, i find just playing the guitar flinging some random chords together then just sing about what ever is in my head.
What sallyok said is good advice buy a notebook and just write it down anytime you think of something then you can go back and add to it if its catchy or just sounds good to you.
glsschld
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Do you play with other people? Sometimes good songwriting comes when you're just jamming and not really thinking too much about trying to write lyrics.

As for lame/pretentious... who cares?? Write for yourself. Can I use Sufjan Stevens as an example? Some of his music can sound pretentious if given too much thought but he is very honest about how he feels. Plus, some of his lyrics are so simple, which makes him great.
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I always found it easier with the music first, but I'm no expert.
youjelly
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by effdee)
i'm finding it incredibly difficulty to come up with anything decent
thats because you suck :d
James4d
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Bitethedust)

This. Try an acoustic cover of a famous, not acoustic song- something by Lady Gaga for eg. It lets you be creative without the fear of the melody or lyrics

And just move on from there...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (141)
38.42%
No - but I will (21)
5.72%
No - I don't want to (26)
7.08%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (179)
48.77%

Watched Threads