How to become a Butler? Watch

rylit91
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Not anticipating many helpful answers, but it's worth a shot. After much consideration, I have come to the conclusion that I am only fit to serve people. As such, I'd like to become a Butler. As fate would have it my 6x Great Grandfather was a Butler in the 1700s so it's obviously in the genes

I don't want to work for common people in Hotels, though. Is there a way I can work in large households?
threeportdrift
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by rylit91)
Not anticipating many helpful answers, but it's worth a shot. After much consideration, I have come to the conclusion that I am only fit to serve people. As such, I'd like to become a Butler. As fate would have it my 6x Great Grandfather was a Butler in the 1700s so it's obviously in the genes

I don't want to work for common people in Hotels, though. Is there a way I can work in large households?
I presume you haven't googled? Believe it or not there are several places that run courses for butlers. Whether you have the background knowledge, gravitas and credibility is a different matter though, usually butler is a career people go into after a few years doing some other service role.
Liam_G
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Just Ask Jeeves :teehee:

Spoiler:
Show
Yeah, that was poor... :getmecoat:
Mr. Orange
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
After much consideration, I have come to the conclusion that I am only fit to serve people.
Become a wife
Iorek
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Google Rick Fink Butler training.

However good butlers tend to have experience in the hospitality industry. If you're after a butler position in prestigious upper class households it's almost certain they won't take anyone younger than 30.

Newly trained butlers from UK are in great demand in rich households in China though...... but you have to be white to be hired as it's deemed to be a status symbol in China to have a white UK trained butler. A plus is if you could also speak Chinese.

Within the UK itself, households with butlers.... those that do these days aren't really traditional butlers any longer.
Pendulum
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The 1 family I know who have a butler, he's from a family of butlers and they have always employed people from that family. He is also the chauffeur, chef, nanny, cleaner etc. (damn recession eh?) so it's a much harder job than it used to be.
dbmag9
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Not a household job, but I work through an agency at Gray's Inn, and they have a butler position in their banqueting department. I'd imagine a lot of Oxbridge colleges and similar do the same. But yeah, what the others said.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
As fate would have it my 6x Great Grandfather was a Butler in the 1700s so it's obviously in the genes
How is it "fate" that someone vaguely related to you 3 centuries ago happened to be a Butler? I'm sure most of us are related to a Butler at some stage!

That's like me saying "sorry your Honour, I know I killed the guy, but my 23rd cousin twice removed was a murderer in 1045 so y'no.."
rylit91
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by Gemma :)!)
How is it "fate" that someone vaguely related to you 3 centuries ago happened to be a Butler? I'm sure most of us are related to a Butler at some stage!

That's like me saying "sorry your Honour, I know I killed the guy, but my 23rd cousin twice removed was a murderer in 1045 so y'no.."
I've actually researched my own family tree back to 1550 atm, and I cannot begin to tell you how ignorant you are.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I've actually researched my own family tree back to 1550 atm, and I cannot begin to tell you how ignorant you are.
Gee, thanks.
Mr. Orange
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
what was your family name back then?

i hope we're not related
diamonddust
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
For some reason I'm thinking of Geoffry Butler from The Fresh Prince! I'd love a sarcastic butler like him!
wtfCharlie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Gemma :)!)

Ahaa yeah, my great-great-grandmother was a slave LOL, I have no desire to follow in her footsteps . . .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (551)
37.82%
No - but I will (114)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (102)
7%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (690)
47.36%

Watched Threads