Is protein "protein"? Watch

DJkG.1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Lots of different views I've heard on this...

Does it really matter where you get your protein from - like if you have a whey-based diet, or an steak-based diet, or a lean chicken-based diet, is it all just protein in the end?

Also, in your view does 'per meal' count, like they say no more than ~35g protein in one sitting. Is that a myth?
HARRY PUTAH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I must resist the urge to include man protein for the ladies.
auzzieman04
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
is grass "grass"?
mandingo666
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Lol you newb.

Whey protein is 90% carbs - do your research.
Jin3011
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by auzzieman04)
is grass "grass"?
Lmao.
daryush
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The way I see it - if you get all the essential (and non-essential) amino acids you need, then you're fine.

Having said that, a protein shake will get the protein into your circulation a lot quicker than a steak or chicken breast.

I personally tend to mix and match. Morning work out - I take a protein shake immediately on finishing or soon before finishing, whereas for the afternoon and evening work outs, I eat a protein-rich meal an hour or so before hand (some salmon fillets, roast meat of some variety), and after my work out I drink milk and eat some fruit.

I've never heard this 35 gram per meal thing - I go vastly over it, some meals can contain 50 - 70 grams!

(Btw - I only recently started weight training a few months ago, so this advice does not come from a lot of personal experience)
jharrington93
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The answer is yes for the op. When you digest proteins, they're broken down into individual amino acids (if you're a chemist it's through Acidic Hydrolysis).

These amino acids are then used to produce the protein your body needs/uses. So it shouldn't matter where you get the protein is from, just how much.

I'm a science student if you're wondering why I gave the explanation and not just yes or no.
DJkG.1
Rep:
?
(Original post by mandingo666)
Lol you newb.

Whey protein is 90% carbs - do your research.
Newb how mate? All carbs aren't equal, wtf?

I was just wondering if the various levels of amino acids made a difference besides the obvious diff like without meat the 'essentials' are missing: linoleic and linolenic etc.
ThisIsOurDecision
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I assume that eggs, soy, beef, whey etc all have their specific ratios of amino acids, so if you only ate one type of protein, you would only get those amino acids. I doubt the differences are that important though, and as the majority of people are going to be eating more than one kind (e.g.eggs/whey/chicken then it won't matter.
SMed
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jharrington93)
The answer is yes for the op. When you digest proteins, they're broken down into individual amino acids (if you're a chemist it's through Acidic Hydrolysis).

These amino acids are then used to produce the protein your body needs/uses. So it shouldn't matter where you get the protein is from, just how much.

I'm a science student if you're wondering why I gave the explanation and not just yes or no.
OOooh... you do 'science'! So are the macronutrients that only thing that matters?
daryush
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ThisIsOurDecision)
I assume that eggs, soy, beef, whey etc all have their specific ratios of amino acids, so if you only ate one type of protein, you would only get those amino acids. I doubt the differences are that important though, and as the majority of people are going to be eating more than one kind (e.g.eggs/whey/chicken then it won't matter.
I read somewhere that egg protein had the most similar ratio to human muscle, or something like that.
Not sure where I read it though ... anyone else know anything about this?

(I tend to eat 2 eggs a day, no harm done yet!)
Aristotle's' Disciple
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's the same thing. But Whey Protein is better because it will be released into your system immediately. So post gym workout is beneficial.
DJkG.1
Rep:
?
(Original post by daryush)
The way I see it - if you get all the essential (and non-essential) amino acids you need, then you're fine.

Having said that, a protein shake will get the protein into your circulation a lot quicker than a steak or chicken breast.

I personally tend to mix and match. Morning work out - I take a protein shake immediately on finishing or soon before finishing, whereas for the afternoon and evening work outs, I eat a protein-rich meal an hour or so before hand (some salmon fillets, roast meat of some variety), and after my work out I drink milk and eat some fruit.

I've never heard this 35 gram per meal thing - I go vastly over it, some meals can contain 50 - 70 grams!

(Btw - I only recently started weight training a few months ago, so this advice does not come from a lot of personal experience)
Cheers mate. I'm gunna try and go for the mix too...

(Original post by jharrington93)

I don't mean to sound like a stuck up prick but I was on the British Olympiad team for biology and I have A*s in chemistry and further maths at A-level... so I'm still not a science student (in the university sense of the term) but I know more detail than that about digestion, assimilation and protein synthesis bruv.

Was looking for the general fitness tips but I appreciate the reply.
mandingo666
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by DJkG.1)
Newb how mate? All carbs aren't equal, wtf?

I was just wondering if the various levels of amino acids made a difference besides the obvious diff like without meat the 'essentials' are missing: linoleic and linolenic etc.
I was being sarcastic.

Are you asking because you are interested or from a training point of view because you didn't highlight this in your original post hence the stupid answers.

If the latter it is essentially the same however shakes should be used as a supplement to your diet rather than replacing a meat meal.
No Future
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by DJkG.1)
Lots of different views I've heard on this...

Does it really matter where you get your protein from - like if you have a whey-based diet, or an steak-based diet, or a lean chicken-based diet, is it all just protein in the end?

Also, in your view does 'per meal' count, like they say no more than ~35g protein in one sitting. Is that a myth?
I'm not sure what you're asking.

Does the source of protein matter in terms of what?

Is protein protein?
Yes, protein is protein...??
Proteins are not all the same. Proteins refers to a large group of polypeptide molecules with a distinct 3D structure. There are lots of different proteins.

Does it make a difference where my dietary protein comes from?
Probably, yes. Proteins are not all the same and differ by the sequence of amino acids in the polypeptide chain. Each protein has a specific sequence of amino acids.

Muscles are largely made up of the proteins myosin, actin and tropomyosin, troponin.

I would guess that you would therefore want to eat a source of proteins containing the proteins myosin, actin, tropomyosin and troponin.

My guess would be that animal muscle probably contains very similar proteins to human muscle and would be a good thing to eat.

I think variety of protein sources is your best bet so hopefully you get plenty of a variety of proteins that might be needed to build muscle.

I have no idea about artificial supplements.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.86%
No - but I will (88)
7.52%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (559)
47.78%

Watched Threads