Thinking about career, need help Watch

Abh1shek
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I'm in my first year at Warwick, studying Economics. For the past few weeks, I've been seriously considering what I plan to do after my undergrad degree. I've done a lot of reading, research, reading around the internet, talking to people. I read a lot on investment banking, as that's what most people in my course seem to be interested in. However, done some reading, and it seems IBD's not for me. I'd like to have a job where at least I get be a little creative, even if the work hours are stressful.

Sales/Trading in an IB also seems quiet interesting, but I'm not what the working hours are like, and what sort of work analysts do.

Consultancy really seems to have caught my attention. I like travelling, and I like the fact that it involves more hands on work, more responsibility, and possibly, better working hours. However, it seems getting into the Top 3 is really difficult.

Basically, I love doing Economics. Main areas of interest are Game Theory, Probably, Monetary Economics. I'm all about the Maths, naturally good with numbers. That's my skill set.

I'm considering Sales/Trading and Consultancy. Is it possible to apply for both? Which would be a better job to intern at? I'm in my first year, so I'm guessing I still have some time. I really wanna focus on one of them, and do my best to get a job. I'd also add that I'd like to do an MBA from a top US school, so I'm guessing consultancy would be better for that.

Any suggestions as to what seems a better fit for me? What are the work hours/salaries like? More importantly, what sort of work do analysts end up doing?
Imperial Blitz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
An actuary ?

However you spell it …
Overmars
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Consultancy is a very broad area and the type of work you do, hours and pay will depend a lot on which company hires you. Unless you manage an offer from Bain/Mckinsey/BCG, you're probably earning less than you would in s+t. But if you want a comfortable position with decent pay where people just **** about and watch youtube clips all day, a non-top consultancy is for you. It's quite cool, actually -- much more laid back and fun. But, at the same time, consultancies look for a specific skill set which is very different from bankers; internships and work experience isn't as important, but you need to get involved with your university and load up on extra-currics, get a solid first and go for a masters at LSE/Oxbridge (preferably Oxbridge).
phillipb
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You really need to think long term when deciding on a career. It should be a decision you take a few weeks over rather than just coming to some half baked conclusion.

Firstly decide what exactly you want from a career, for instance a good salary, job satisfaction or a mixture of both?

Once you have decided then start to make a list of possible careers that would meet your requirements.

Then research each of the listed job roles, their potential salary, working hours etc. Do this by simply checking for existing vacancies on some of the major job boards.

After gathering all of this information then sit down and work out the pro's and con's of each option and come to a conclusion.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (100)
39.68%
No - but I will (12)
4.76%
No - I don't want to (16)
6.35%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (124)
49.21%

Watched Threads