travelling buddies - SE Asia Watch

lekky
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
This summer I'm wanting to go travelling around SE asia (vietnam, thailand, singapore)

The problem is that the friends I have that want to go travelling to SE Asia can't afford it, and those that can afford it want to go to America/Canada.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about going alone, though I've heard that you meet people and travel with them if your plans are quite loose?

I have a number of friends still waiting to get back to me about finances but I've not got my hopes up, so does anyone have any experience about travelling these areas as a single 20.y.o female or any good ideas as to how to meet travelling buddies?
Olibert
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I did it alone as a 19 years young male last summer. It was massively easy, had so much fun and met so many ****ing awesome people, of which I travelled around Laos with some of them.

Obviously you need to be careful (as anyone does) but female travellers are advised to be "extra" careful. Very sexist, but very true. I felt okay arriving in Bangkok at 3am in the morning and walking around looking for somewhere to stay, but I'm not sure that kind of thing is suited to everyone.
HumanNature1992
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Olibert)
I did it alone as a 19 years young male last summer. It was massively easy, had so much fun and met so many ****ing awesome people, of which I travelled around Laos with some of them.

Obviously you need to be careful (as anyone does) but female travellers are advised to be "extra" careful. Very sexist, but very true. I felt okay arriving in Bangkok at 3am in the morning and walking around looking for somewhere to stay, but I'm not sure that kind of thing is suited to everyone.
Yeah I think in order to travel to a foreign country on your own you'd need to be a certain type of person with certain personality traits. Like you said, it's not suited to everyone.
angelmxxx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by lekky)
This summer I'm wanting to go travelling around SE asia (vietnam, thailand, singapore)

The problem is that the friends I have that want to go travelling to SE Asia can't afford it, and those that can afford it want to go to America/Canada.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about going alone, though I've heard that you meet people and travel with them if your plans are quite loose?

I have a number of friends still waiting to get back to me about finances but I've not got my hopes up, so does anyone have any experience about travelling these areas as a single 20.y.o female or any good ideas as to how to meet travelling buddies?
Won't it be the really rainy season? If none of your friends will go, I guess you could try going with a company - even though it'd be expensive.
Olibert
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by angelmxxx)
Won't it be the really rainy season? If none of your friends will go, I guess you could try going with a company - even though it'd be expensive.
I went in August/September which is apparently rainy season. I didn't notice it being particularly rainy.
angelmxxx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Olibert)
I went in August/September which is apparently rainy season. I didn't notice it being particularly rainy.
Oh right. I guess it really depends on where you go, one of my friends went to Northern Thailand in August for a month and it rained heavily every single day!
Olibert
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by angelmxxx)
Oh right. I guess it really depends on where you go, one of my friends went to Northern Thailand in August for a month and it rained heavily every single day!
This sounds like I'm picking wholes in what your friend said, I really don't mean it to sound that way

I was in the North in August and I guess it did rain but it was really at night more than during the day. We didn't have to put off any plans to visit places because it wasn't wet during the day. When we went out at night though, and were coming back at about 3am it probably did rain (from what little of those nights I could remember )

Maybe I had a lucky year!
nativeLondoner
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The SE Asians are natural criminals. Really gutless people, more than likely you'll be raped or conned.
Ewan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by nativeLondoner)
The SE Asians are natural criminals. Really gutless people, more than likely you'll be raped or conned.
:teehee:
les_reveurs
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by lekky)

Hi
On my gap year 3 years ago i visited cambodia and vietnam and then worked in thailand. I travelled by myself, i was 20 and had no problems whatsoever. It depends where you will be staying, transport etc... but generally a bit of common sense and you will be fine. Do your research before you go so you know what you are doing, and make sure you book your accomodation a few days in advance so you never risk not finding a place to stay. I would recommend youth hostels- you will definitely meet people!
Also be careful on overnight trains by yourself... stick to daytime travel.
Especially in Cambodia and Vietnam the people are generally very friendly, obviously you are a tourist, but respect their culture and they will respect you.
Thailand is a lot more touristy, so be more careful especially in Bangkok- you will definitely get ripped off at least once being a "farang"!

If you are open and confident in meeting people, and if you go there with a friendly attitude you should have no problems travelling alone! But still be careful!
lekky
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by les_reveurs)
Hi
On my gap year 3 years ago i visited cambodia and vietnam and then worked in thailand. I travelled by myself, i was 20 and had no problems whatsoever. It depends where you will be staying, transport etc... but generally a bit of common sense and you will be fine. Do your research before you go so you know what you are doing, and make sure you book your accomodation a few days in advance so you never risk not finding a place to stay. I would recommend youth hostels- you will definitely meet people!
Also be careful on overnight trains by yourself... stick to daytime travel.
Especially in Cambodia and Vietnam the people are generally very friendly, obviously you are a tourist, but respect their culture and they will respect you.
Thailand is a lot more touristy, so be more careful especially in Bangkok- you will definitely get ripped off at least once being a "farang"!

If you are open and confident in meeting people, and if you go there with a friendly attitude you should have no problems travelling alone! But still be careful!
Thanks this is really helpful
I actually used to live in Vietnam so I'm alright there, can still speak some Vietnamese and have friends there
it's more the other countries
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (312)
37.68%
No - but I will (64)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.49%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (390)
47.1%

Watched Threads